Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Please tell me where I went...?

Poster: A snowHead
A long long time ago, about 16 years to be precise, I took my last ski trip. For 2 years in a row I went with my school to a resort in Austria and now (as we are planning going with the kids for the first time this year), I thought I would like to see were we went all those years ago.

I think the village we stayed in was called Windersgarten or Windersgarden or something like this, yahoo and google have both drawn a blank...

Snowheads... I need your help! Any ideas?

Cheers,
Peter
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
prthomas, Welcome to Snowheads Very Happy snowHead and my congratulations on your first post. Never have I seen such a unique question Very Happy

Sorry but I have no idea where you went wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
welcome to snowHeads Peter snowHead We are a friendly bunch and try to help when we can.

Goodness, what a question. Here is me not remembering where I was yesterday and you wanting to know where you went 16 years ago!!

I am wondering if it might be the skiwelt. There is Hopfgarten and Westerndorf right next to each other, might you have amalgamated the two?

Otherwise I can't think of any beginning that way - sorry, hopefully someone else will be along in a minute that knows Austria better than me.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ooh, good challenge prthomas, welcome to snowHead

A comination of Hopfgarten and Westendorf??
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
New mods and London buses spring to mind wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
prthomas, welcome to snowHeads! snowHead

Is there anything else you remember about your trip - how big were then mountains? How many lifts were there on the nursery slope? Did you do any day trips to nearby towns (like Kitzbuhel, for example)
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Did you fly, if so was it a long transfer? If you went by road can you remember and towns you went through?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Vot is your name?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm in a similar quandry with a school trip as well, there wasn't any snow where we were staying so we had a 45minute-ish coach ride to the snow each day, I think we skied Saalbach but I'm not 100% certain. I'm going there end of Jan so if I remember bits & pieces of it I'll know.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Blimey, I did not think I would get this many replies.

Anyway here is all I can recall.

It was a smallish town called Windersgarden or something I think. We had a 10/20 min drive to the ski slopes which was a single cablecar up to the mountain from the car park and then about 6 or 7 runs with only 2 back down to the car park. Most memorable (I was a teenage boy) was a shop called Sport Fuchs which caused us to snigger (in a Finbar Saunders way) every time we passed it!

We travelled there by coach so no clues as to airport or anything.

Cheers,
Peter
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hmmm, well google shows up a sport fuchs in Brixen im thale, which fits nicely with the Skiwelt as that is the next town in the line Hopfgarten, Westendorf, Brixen im Thale...

The skiing does sound a bit like Westendorf too. Does this piste map look at all familiar? http://www.snow-forecast.com/pistemaps/Westendorf_pistemap.shtml

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sat 18-11-06 17:43; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
...but if you were in Brixen im Thale you'd head up the gondola into Ski Welt proper...

When you say cable car - do you distinguish between cable cars (big single cabins holding 10 or more people operating in pairs) and gondolas (a string of ~6 man cabins)?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
A few runs and 2 back down to the car park could be Westendorf as well. The name Fuchs crops up a few times further round the Skiwelt in Soll.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
prthomas, I've been to Westendorf a few times, and it's where I learnt to ski, I wrote a report here and there are a few photos here
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I think it might be Windischgarten in Upper Austria. The mountain is called the Wurzeralm. There's a website: http://www.hiwu.at/winter/de/start.html
snow conditions
Hoppo, what lovely pics! Very Happy
ski holidays
geri, thanks! snowHead I took about 100 and a few turned out quite well...

Franz, Windischgarten is a good match for the name... do you know how long they've had the monorail?

snow report
Hoppo, Windischgarten is right, this is the resort and as I remember it did have a monorail rather than a cable car. Now off for an afternoon of reminiscing...

Cheers All,
Peter
snow conditions
.....case closed. Very Happy
snow report
Peter Leuzzi, .......the 'Christopher Columbus Syndrome'.........

........He went not knowing where he was going,

........arrived not knowing where he was.....,

........returned not knowing where he had been...... Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy