Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

3 Valleys Prep

Poster: A snowHead
Since I'll be taking my first trip to the Alps for the EOSB, I'd like to get a jump on my learning by picking up a few books and maps to help prepare me for the Val T/3 Valleys experience. Any recommendations?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
"Lift Line Etiquette", by Kim Jong Il.

"Running a successful hotel", by Basil Fawlty

"How to give outstanding customer service as a liftie", by John Prescott

"How to be a Brit on Holiday in Val Despair", by Jade Goody & Jordan
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ssh, Just a few words of advice. rolling eyes

Always come equipped with Tea Bags, Marmite and tins of Baked Beans, you never know when you may need them, they can be used as a substitute currency in some areas of France. You may also need a large French phrase book, when thrown these are very useful to attract a lifties attention in an emergency. And finally always beware of small French children and Italians, they have a mind set of their own which does not include you. Just to recap, bring as much universal currency as possible, learn the local language to gain full use of the lift system and finally add marshal arts skills and eyes in the back of you head to your skiing toolbox. Smile

Don't worry about the terrain it's easy to navigate, ski directly down from the top of each mountain then use your new found skills to gain an uplift to the next peak, no need to worry about getting lost either as there is always a friendly British ski bum on every run to point you in the wrong direction. Very Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
veeeight and Headplant, with friends like you... NehNeh NehNeh NehNeh NehNeh Laughing Laughing snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ssh, great news you are coming to the EOSB: it will be great to meet you at last.
Whether any literature will be any help, I'm not sure. I have often read up resorts I am going to in guidebooks and on websites, but I have never been able to remember any of the information when I get there. Or if I do remember anything it is invariably garbled and wrong. I go up the wrong lifts, down the wrong slopes and visit the restaurants I was advised to avoid.
No, look around the 3Valleys website when the urge gets unbearable, but relax in the knowledge that fellow snowheads will take you in hand when you arrive and make sure you get a perfect introduction to the place
(Just remember we will all have ignored this advice, and so you will be taken up all the wrong lifts, down the wrong slopes, and into all the restaurants you ought to avoid - it is the way.)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
ssh, ........in addition to veeeight,'s & Headplant, 's sound advice....

you may wish to consider this publication

I think it may come free if you have 1,001 Baked Bean tin wrappers....... Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Not selling but i have assembled a lot of links for the 3 valleys, mottaret in particular on www.skimottaret.com go to the downloads area and local knowledge bit
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Its not about Val T, but I found the SNOWMOLE book inexpensive and useful for our week in St Martin last year. Good piste maps marking flats for boarders and rating mountain restaurants pretty accurately. Although we were there for Feb ghalf term we used it to find quieter areas with great success
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Jonpim wrote:
ssh, great news you are coming to <b>the <a href="http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=9948">EoSB</a></b>: it will be great to meet you at last.
Whether any literature will be any help, I'm not sure. I have often read up resorts I am going to in guidebooks and on websites, but I have never been able to remember any of the information when I get there. Or if I do remember anything it is invariably garbled and wrong. I go up the wrong lifts, down the wrong slopes and visit the restaurants I was advised to avoid.
No, look around the 3Valleys website when the urge gets unbearable, but relax in the knowledge that fellow snowheads will take you in hand when you arrive and make sure you get a perfect introduction to the place
(Just remember we will all have ignored this advice, and so you will be taken up all the wrong lifts, down the wrong slopes, and into all the restaurants you ought to avoid - it is the way.)
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing snowHead snowHead

Ok. I hear you. But, I can dream, can't I? NehNeh Cool
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
ssh, A Russian phrasebook would probably not go amiss Smile
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Very good blog here

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dennis.summerbell/skiing/

sorry its just an index but if you look at the courchevel, meribel pages itshould take you to some of the more detaled sections. I don't agree with everything he writes and he misses out some great off-piste corners but al in all its well worth a read
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If possible, best to improve your ability to speak the local language. Many places in England do evening courses for improving your "English". wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
some good info here (if a little dated):

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dennis.summerbell/skiing/skiingindex.html

Are you just coming for the EOSB? I'm out in La Tania for Easter with the kids, if you were coming earlier..

Cheers,

Greg
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
How about the Mad Dog guides? They only do them for Courchevel and Meribel but IIRC they cover all the red/black pistes in the 3V ? And maybe some ideas for lunch stops? (You do realise you're going to have to enjoy the full "European experience"?! Amazon UK have the mad dog guides (about a tenner each)
latest report
 brian
brian
kitenski, Dennis Summerbell was a regular contributor to rec.skiing.resorts.europe back in the day. Sadly he died from cancer a few years ago, I think in his late 50s. He also wrote a similar guide to Espace Killy which is probably on the net somewhere.
ski holidays
aha!

cheers Brian, sad news, I wondered why he never updated it.

I never ever go on rsre anymore, his Espace Killy guide is also available from that same link.

regards,

Greg
ski holidays
kitenski, I'll be arriving the 19th, touring Paris for a day at the recommendation of easiski and admin, then taking the overnight train up to Val T. I'll stay over an extra day to get one more resort experience in before I return. I'll have only about 2 weeks to finish my book to submit it to the publisher at that point!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy