Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austrian snow report

Poster: A snowHead
Deb,

I'm arriving in Maria Alm this Saturday. Metcheck had forecast this for tomorrow but glad it's arrived. They show cold weather and snow for the rest of the week.

Please keep posting with good news. Laughing
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's snowed continually all day, still snowing now. We must have had at least 40 cms or more in the village with about 80cms on the mountain. The problem with the snow is that there's so much of it, but the ground is soft, so as we skiied home this morning we saw one tree fall with the weight of the snow, then around tea time we had a power cut for a couple of hours as another tree had gone on the power lines. We have to do some serious tree shaking tomorrow morning as we have some tall trees around our house!

Deb
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Any news on the snow in zell am see? we are due out on 3 april for 13 days..
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
dk100, Well as all the surrounding resorts are forecast to have the same amount of precipitations as Muhlbach then I think it's safe to assume that Zell am See is getting dumped on too.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If its snowing half as hard in Zell am Zee as it is in Stockton am Tees at the moment then you will be laughing
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Stockton am Tees

can you ski there? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You can at the mo....... if you have a decent tow rope Toofy Grin
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'v got 1ft. of snow in my garden today in Zell, and still snowing.
-4c in town, -8c up the top, -16 on the glazier.
looking good for Easter. snowHead
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
UPDATE:-

It is still snowing here and last night we lost power for about 2 hours because a tree fell on a power line and this morning we had one on our house!! :unknw:

Luckily we don't think it has damaged the roof. With there been no frost before the snow the trees are very weak. There are loads down on the road and in the forest.

Lets hope it stops snowing soon. there must be about 50 cm now.

Nigel
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
That's an impressive shot of your car!!!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just back from a week in Saalbach, big dump of snow Sunday night, Monday, Tuesday, with some smaller falls later in the week.

This was the week to ski the blacks in Saalbach / Hinterglem as they skied very easy, Tuesday was absolutely superb skiing, visibility wasn't the best, but the snow conditions were fantastic.

Later in the week, the visibility improved, however, the higher temperatures meant that the southern facing slopes which had been very poor before the big dump, began to get heavy and slushy during the morning. The snow making machines were running continuously on some pistes during Thursday & Friday.

Potential for the next few weeks - the northern facing slopes are still very good, especially at Hinterglemm, also the link pistes to Leogang and the red / black above Saalbach, and should hold snow quite well. I'm not so sure about the southern facing slopes (though I have a friend who is still out there, I'll try to get an update towards the end of this week).
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just back from Obertauern. Warm weather and softening pistes but plenty of good skiing.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ray Zorro wrote:
Just back from Obertauern. Warm weather and softening pistes but plenty of good skiing.

Not many takers for the slopes by the looks of it, or were you up early Ray? snowHead

Cracking pic! Never been skiing after Feb - must give it a go next year.

Kersh
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just back from Obertauern, excellent week - one foggy day otherwise lovely sunshine. Also bumped into Ray Zorro at the Kringsalm Hut - recognised him by the snowHeads sticker on his helmet snowHead
He still went and stole the vacated table I was eyeing up wink

BTW nice picture above, anywhere near the Grunwaldkopfbahn? - can't quite make it out.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Kersh, thanks Very Happy - it wasn't particularly early in the day - just not a popular run I guess Confused We made first lifts on Wednesday (8:20) when there was 5-10cm fresh snow around - that was worthwhile snowHead

Hywel, close, it was the red off the top of Sonnenlift coming back down under the chair, we were heading for the button lift that you can just about see on the left of the photo. Sorry about the table wink
ski holidays
Skiing at Wagrain at the moment. Last week was good, but the resort runs finally sucummbed to summer and have been closed. Still okay high up, but getting very slushy after about 10.30!
ski holidays
A friend of mine has just returned from the Kaprun glacier. Perfect snow conditions above 2500 m all day. 10 cm fresh snow arrived yesterday. The pistes between 2000 and 2500 m got wet by the afternoon. It was a bit crowded for the holidays.

Most of the ski resorts in Salzburg close this week-end. All the resorts of Ski Amade (except for Zauchensee), Zell, and Saalbach have one more week-end to offer. Obertauern and Sportgastein close around May 1.

Some resorts in Karnten are still very good for skiing, even Hochkar (one hour from Vienna) is open for a couple of weeks.
latest report
Here is a summary of the operating ski resorts in Austria:

Heading from East to West - Hochkar near Vienna is still operating. Usually the snow here lasts until late May, but this year they need to close on Apr 22.
In Salzburg region all the resorts are closed except for Obertauern and Sportgastein. These two close on May 1.

The Kartnen region had the best season in Austria and gained a lot from the lack of snow in other parts of the country.
Heligenblut close on May 6, they have never had such a long season before. Turracher Hohe close on May 1.

In Tirol Hochfügenen (Hochzillertal), Ischgl, Stuben (Arlberg), and Obergurg-Hochgurgl operates until May 1.
Most of the Arlberg resorts (St Anton, Lech-Zürs), and Kühtai and Serfaus-Fiss-Ladis close on Apr 22.

In Vorarlberg Hochjoch-Schruns is still operating until Apr 22.

All the eight glaciers are still in operation, but some of them close in mid May for a short maintenance.

Feel free to add the missing resorts to this list.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 16-04-07 17:13; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Back from a glorious week in Obergurgl yesterday.

Brilliant time, one of my best ever. Very much freeze-thaw, but the best part of freeze-thaw is that in between bit where it is all great snowHead

Skied like a demon all week, usually from 9-3, then slushy.

Crowd factor pretty good now, though. ie. no crowds!
snow report
kerekip, thanks for all the info over the season! wink

Cheers
Kersh
latest report
Kersh, you are welcome! I intend to continue next season ... just to balance the French side of the forum wink
BTW, there is no huge crowd on the pistes in Sportgastein Sad

snow report
Kersh wrote:
kerekip, thanks for all the info over the season! wink

Cheers
Kersh

Yes, I echo that. Lots of other interesting snippets too Very Happy well done kerekip.
snow report
Thanks Kerekip...lots of usefull info. all season.
ski holidays
kerekip, yeah, i've heard it's deserted. Looks great!!!! wink Shame i'm stuck at my desk. rolling eyes
snow conditions
kerekip, and thanks from me as well! All your info has been really great to read snowHead
latest report
HELLO

Just a quick note to say thanks for the austrian reports.....good reading and some very useful information regarding piste conditions. I know some say the season been poor but I have had two boarding hols this year and its been great......mayrhofen really produced the goods in terms of snow as we were there for the two major snowfalls of the year mid jan and end of march.......well summers here time for the speedos and some wake boarding...catch you all next winter

Cheers

Mongoose
latest report
just back from 2 days on the Kitzsteinhorn, excellent sunny weather, snow conditions reasonable high up in the morning becoming soft and heavier as the day went on, lower down below the Alpincenter was very heavy and soft even in the morning, still worth going though snowHead
ski holidays
An update on the current condition as we are approaching the end of the season. A couple of weeks ago most ski resorts announced their date of their last day of this season. They calculated on the basis of normal spring conditions, but Austria is enjoying early summer and some resorts need to close earlier than planned.

Obertauern, the SnowHeads' top favourite of the season, needs to close this week-end. Snow melts faster than expected, no chance to remain open until May 6, as planned earlier.
Tirol's Hochfugen also had to close earlier. Turracher Hohe in Kartnen had over a meter snow a last week, but they had no chance against the high temperatures, and had to close yesterday.

The following resorts are still in operation: Ischgl, Sportgastein (Salzburg), Heiligenblut (Kartnen) and some resorts on Arlberg regions + the pistes in the glaciers.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Since all the non-glacial resort are closed in Austria, I had hoped to finish this season on Molltal glacier (2378-3122m) last week-end. I had no luck with the weather, it had been totally foggy for three days. I have never experienced such fog in my life. I was hardly able to see the person next to me. I hoped every morning that it clears, but it was the same for three days.

I visited Kaprun-Kitzsteinhorn, another glacier. Clear blue sky, beautiful sunny afternoon, saw a lot of cars in the parking lots by the lift.
Although it is not the main season there were many British tourists by the Zell am See lake.

I drove one of the most beautiful roads, the Grossglockner Alpine Road. After one hour bright sunny weather, it suddenly changed. The clouds came and it even snowed at 2500m.
Here is the site of this scenic road:
http://www.grossglockner.com/
ski holidays
Winter returned to the higher parts of Austria and Switzerland for a few days. It snowed above 1500 m.
This webcam is from Rauris (Salzburg) only 15 km from Zell am See or 30 km from Saalbach.
40-50 cm fresh snow on the glaciers.

Kaprun-Kitzsteinhorn:
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy