Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How cold, and what layers to wear ??

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello,

I went on my first boarding holiday at the end of March 06 to Arinsal/Andorra, and it was sooooo hot !!

Couldn't quite get my head around the fact that it was absolutely roasting hot and am not sure what to expect when i go to Les Arcs on the 2nd Jan.

I know that it won't be anything like it was back in March, but i'm not sure what layers i'll need to wear ?

A base layer under my trousers ? Base layer, fleece then my jacket ?

Don't want to freeze my nuts off but then again don't want to be roasting hot.

Any advice would be welcome.

Cheers Wallas
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
in New Years in La Plagne last year it was BLOODY FREEZING! I would say thermals are essential and GOOD gloves!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cheers !! What makes of gloves should i go for ?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
wallas, No particular make, but some slik gloves underneath some mittens would do a good job.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
its always better to take more layers than not enough - you can always take them off if youre too hot! its better to have and not need thn to need and not have!

id say base layers top and bottom, on top - maybe another thin layer, fleece then jacket would be sufficient. dont forget a good warm hat as well (better still a helmet) if its only your second time away im guessing youre going to be having lessons - which tend to involve a bit more sitting around listening and watching instructors and other group members so you'll feel the cold a bit more. if youve got the cash id recommed getting a small rucksack - they come in very hand for carrying extra layers, food etc and also provide a wee bit of a cushion when you fall backwards. no substitution for a helmet though - which is deffo something thats worth getting.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
wallas, I was in Andorra towards the end of March I it was seriously warm...I couldn't get over how many people were skiing it T-shirts.....but I think the start of Jan will be totally different....when I snowboard in Jan I tend to wear thermals top and bottom, fleece and jacket..and if it feels really cold, an second thin fleece under the main one. I also go for mits instead of gloves as the seem to be a bit warmer....i can still just about do up all my zips and straps with the mits on.

so just as long as you layer it up and get good gloves and hat you'll be fine.

...and another thing....if you're boarding, some protection on your backside is a must....not only for protecting it from big impacts....but it also insulates your bum when you're participating in a snowboarders favourite pastime....sitting down in the snow! Toofy Grin
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
wallas, I was in Andorra towards the end of March I it was seriously warm...I couldn't get over how many people were skiing it T-shirts.....but I think the start of Jan will be totally different....when I snowboard in Jan I tend to wear thermals top and bottom, fleece and jacket..and if it feels really cold, an second thin fleece under the main one. I also go for mits instead of gloves as the seem to be a bit warmer....i can still just about do up all my zips and straps with the mits on.

so just as long as you layer it up and get good gloves and hat you'll be fine.

...and another thing....if you're boarding, some protection on your backside is a must....not only for protecting it from big impacts....but it also insulates your bum when you're participating in a snowboarders favourite pastime....sitting down in the snow! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
wallas, If its really cold you will need to protect your face against frost bite.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
stevec, Icebreaker now do some thin merino wool inners which are much warmer than silk and don't catch on all your velcro bits either
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just to add if its really cold I wear a Buffs snood.(as favoured by cyclists amongst others) It keeps my neck warm and I can pull it up to my goggles to cover my face when the wind is really biting. I did buy whilst at Killington on the East Coast a neoprene 'gimp' face mask but didnt like it.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
In cold weather i wear base layer, breathable roll neck fleece ski jacket, neck muffler and hat.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy