Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow in Flaine 8-)

Poster: A snowHead
lisach,

No
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I know this is off-topic, but for those interested in Isola since it's been mentioned... they've updated their webcams again and it doesn't look that bad. They must have the cannons going full pelt. Doesn't look like it's snowed ina while but certainly ski-able on the pisted stuff. I'm there next week but taking walking boots along just in case the pictures are a hoax!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
enaikay78, The pictures aren't a hoax .. weather has been unseasonably warm ( apart from today) .. it has snowed but needs more again given the ambient temperatures we've been having. rolling eyes
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Large disturbance forecast for Thurs/Fri/Sat
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
simo1234,

Do you wanna know the details? TEMPS? according to meteo france?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Just returned from Grand Massif - Although definately not ideal conditions there is skiing to be had.
The current Freeze Thaw temperatures need to drop dramatically to ensure a continued season though.
We spent 10 days in Morillon 1100 and saw a ton of snow and also a fare bit of rain!
Went to Avoriaz which was excellent - and only 40 mins from Morillon.
The links to Samoens and Les Carroz are open but a bit dodgy!!!

Get on your knees and pray to the snow god!!!!! wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
waterskibabe, I am doing Confused I have 2 weeks for things to improve - am now getting concerned
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just back from Flaine, snowed a lot snowHead
runs seemed to have plenty of snow, and there was some good off piste to be had, on the lower slopes there were still a few rocks about, and it did get a bit slushy in the afternoons, but up top it was amazing.

Wish that i didnt have to go home and do exams!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
stevo_the_saddler wrote:
waterskibabe, I am doing Confused I have 2 weeks for things to improve - am now getting concerned

May see you there! We are back for a long weekend (ish) from the 17th! Laughing
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
there from the 20th, anyone fancy a run and a hot choco???
graeme
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I am there from 21st (in Samoens - lets hope the links are open!)
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Looks like we'll all be meeting up in Avoriaz! - Ever the happy bunny!!!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just back from Les Carroz/Flaine, wish I was still there Sad .

The links from the top of the LC Gondola to Flaine were open but the last track section that drops into the Grand Vans lift area is pretty poor with notices advising to walk the last section, other options are currently closed. We drove direct to Flaine to cut out the dodgy link.
The main run back down into LC is closed so you have to take the gondola down. I heard the red run further over was still open but in pretty poor condition.
Flaine itself isn't looking too bad compared to a lot of places. Pistes are hard pack and icy in a lot of places at altitude, getting softer towards the bottom but whats open has some good skiing. Off piste has had a lot of freeze thaw and is better later in the day after its softened up a bit. We managed to find a few untracked areas, not exactly powder but a lot of fun none the less. All the easy to get to stuff is looking more like a piste complete with moguls in some places.

We stuck to the 3 high level chairs under and to the left of the main gondola as you look up.

If you don't like getting your precious skis scratched up, my advice is hire and take the extra insurance they offer as well.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just got back from Les Carroz myself and agree with everything rich says above. We stuck mainly to the high lifts around Les Carroz and towards the top of Flaine, although we mostly drove to Flaine to avoid the links where water skiing might have been best. Best runs had to be down Faust in Flaine which is holding up well and down Blanchot to Les Molliets from the top of the Les Carroz gondola. Pity Chamois was shut but we got some pretty good skiing in considering the conditions. Did my first moguls as well Cool

Morillon unfortunately wasn't worth it, with only really the main Sairon slope open but patchy at best.

I have to add that for all the doom and gloom expressed by some, we had a great time and made the best of what there was. The pisteurs are to be applauded for the work they are putting in to maintain what they have. I feel sorry for the businesses who are struggling because of so many cancellations but the service and friendliness we received everywhere was the best we have ever had. So full marks to the Grand Massif for doing what they are.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
snowshine, rich, Thanks for the reports. I am going on Sunday 21st to Samoens (the GFS looks a bit better for then hopefully) but I agree that considering the weather conditions, the Pistueres seem to be doing really well. Will update on my return too.
snow conditions
hey stevo, you keen for a run or two sometime next week????
latest report
PM me with a contact number and I will return mine too - could be a blast!
snow conditions
stevo you have pm, you do realise i am one of them nuckle draggers dont you???? Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Does that mean you will sit down in an inconvenient place? I have replied!
ski holidays
I have also just returned after a long weekend comprising 2 days in Flaine and one in Avoriaz.

Re Flaine, I agree with both of the above posts. Top runs were in surprisingly good condition, served by the main DMC cable car and the 3 or 4 chair lifts. The problem was the lack of variety as we had skied each option a couple of times after two days. The "off-piste" had essentially been fully skied but this just added more terrain in an okay position (i.e. the off piste was just like pistes). Lower runs pretty slushy and best avoided. Didn''t ski the Les Carroz area.

Avoriaz - accessed from Ardent - quite a lot more open and selectively, some good snow. The south facing runs into Switzerland were best avoided and largely brown.

Overall, the snow at the top of Flaine was better than Avoriaz, but the amount open (and worth skiing) in Avoriaz was more extensive.

A good dump really would be appreciated, but fun is still to be had.....
snow report
simo1234, Thanks - just keeping my fingers (and legs, and toes) crossed
ski holidays
anyone have a update??? off there tomorrow
graeme Puzzled
ski holidays
Doesn't look good on the webcams - I think the sucess of the next week will depend on new snow (SOOONNN) !!!! We go Sunday!
snow report
simo1234, Did you try heading off right as you come out of the DMC, away from the other runs? The off piste was relatively pristine. Did require ducking under a ropepast the at your own risk notices
ski holidays
rich, Off piste in Flaine in these conditions - you are brave!!!!
latest report
Brave is not the word I was thinking of rolling eyes
snow conditions
maggi, obviously of the opinion off piste is that bit of stuff between two pistes rolling eyes
latest report
I saw a bunch of numptys skiing between the gulleys and craveses in Flaine yesterday - must be mad!!!

However the skiing in general was very good and only soft at the very bottom. Also very quiet! Although the links are classed as open - you'd have to be a complete maniac to ski into Flaine yesterday and it just looked like a road in. Still, the walking would keep you fit!

Anyway for those going this next week - things are certainly looking up with upto 14cm forecast. Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Returned from Flaine yesterday. It was very poor for Friday/Saturday. We stayed there for a week but chose to visit other resorts for a day: Avoriaz (superb) Chamonix (Argentierre excellent) and Courmayeur (rained and resort closed early due to high winds) as the runs open in Flaine were a bit samey. What I imagine would be the better skiing (lower down) was really struggling for snow cover.

There was no evidence of the snow cannons being run at night in resort. This was strange as the base further down was all thick artificial snow.
snow conditions
Blindside how long did it take you to drive from Flaine to Avoriaz. We are due in Morzine in less than 3 weeks and I am considering going to Flaine for the day on the way home as an extra days skiing (if I can change the Ferry time). It was where I first went skiing and I also took my children there for there first skiing holiday so has good memories for us. A mate who's joining us this year would also like to drop in there to see why we are always badgering on about the place.
snow report
My mate has just got back from Flaine so I asked "Did you have a good holiday?" "No" "Why" "My girlfriend fell off a drag lift last Tuesday and fractured her skull and ended up in Geneva hospital" Now considering I thought he was going to complain about poor snow conditions it puts everything into perspective (and an urge to wear a helmet)
latest report
Quote:

Blindside - how long did it take you to drive from Flaine to Avoriaz

Depends where exactly - Les Gets to Les Carroz about 20-25 mins. Its an extra 10 mins from Morzine to Les Gets, and 15 mins from Les Carroz to Flaine. About 45-50 mins therefore in total from Morzine to Flaine.
snow conditions
Snow in Flaine right now (doing a season here). Its coming down pretty fast and lying.

I'm excited for tomorrow, although I don't get off work till 12, RUBBISH!?
latest report
Took us about an 1hr 1/4 hrs. Lots of windy roads. It may be quicker/slower if there was more snow as you could get on lifts lower down and into the system that way perhaps. We drove from Flaine proper to the main car park by the snowpark in Avoriaz so that is what the timings are based on. Lot's of windy roads down the hill from Flaine, then more windy roads up. Not for those who get travel sick.

Took us about the same to get to Courmayeur and a little less to get to Argentierre. The big pain was the drive down/up to Flaine each time this is about 25 mins each way each time.

Enjoy!
snow report
Simo / Blindside
thanks for the replies, is Les Carroz the quickest way into Flaine (Grand Massive) only if theres enough snow or will the lift system bring you up and down? I don't think I have skied down there so that would be a good starting point Very Happy
snow report
We didn't ski down to Les Carroz last week as there was no snow down there at all. In my opinion, if there is no snow just drive up as there is no fun in getting on a lift for the sake of it, especially if you can't ski back down to where you started from. It did look like there was lot's of good/interesting skiing down low if there was snow, and this was said to us by a couple of fellas who had chalets down there too.

I can't say I noticed if the lifts were even running down there. All the cars seemed to be going right up to Flaine.
snow conditions
I agree looking again at the piste map again straight into Flaine would be the best move. But I know what you mean about the Flaine windy road, with snow on it I have thought it would be pretty nasty.
snow conditions
if there is snow (lots fell last night) then drive 5 minutes past Les Carroz to an restaurant/chairlift on the side of the road called Les Molliets (there is also a lift pass office here). Chairlift takes you to the top of the Les Carroz section which is very pleasant skiing itself, otherwise, a 40 minute ski into Flaine. This saves a further 10/15 minutes drive followed by parking woes in the main Flaine car park.
In my view, the best skiing in the area is around Morrillon/Les Carroz anyway.
latest report
received a text message from a friend in les carroz - "Il neige beacoup!"
latest report
Am I right in thinking that this piste here is the bottom of Tourmaline - the only route back from Les Carroz, Samoens, Morillon, etc ?

It looks a bit steep / narrow (and looked very bare last week)
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy