Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow in Flaine 8-)

Poster: A snowHead
[
Quote:
In my view, the best skiing in the area is around Morrillon/Les Carroz anyway.

It is in my view too!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Well, I messed that up
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
justacey wrote:
Am I right in thinking that this piste here is the bottom of Tourmaline - the only route back from Les Carroz, Samoens, Morillon, etc ?

It looks a bit steep / narrow (and looked very bare last week)

Yep this looked like a road last Saturday!!!

If the snow is ther ski in but if not def drive. We drove from Morillon and it took about 50 mins.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Well we're staying in the Residence de Foret (just to the left of the picture) and from my many hours of lusting over the piste map I have worked out that it will be easier for me to catch the Grand Vans lift and ski the other areas rather than the Flaine bowl, but I am concerned over getting back to Flaine if it looks like
Shocked
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Normally the links have absolutely no problem with snow but this season has had an incredibly slow start. Presuming that the conditions are just normal when you are there, the link will be fine.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
justacey, ' Flaine is Great ' (in case you're worried, your post 2nd Jan ) You need to lust over the piste map a bit longer. The Res de Foret (where we stay) is indeed ideal for the Grands Vans lift. The Bissac poma (short) and rope tow are about 20 metres max away from the GV lift. From there to access the main Flaine ski area you can either go up the Grand Balacha pomas or ski down to the main Grand Platieres (DMC) lift or the Aup de Veran (eggs) lift.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks all, I do tend to get a bit obsessed in the run up to a ski holiday. In fact this weekend I've downloaded all the webcam pictures and have put them together in a document and will cross reference the pictures to the piste map. Am I a bit mad? or just a snowHead ?

But I haven't quite had my question answered. Is the end of that run in the picture as steep and narrow and awkward as it looks?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
justacey, No as long as there is snow on it. Its is narrow and a bit windy for a while but not a probem at all. My kids 8 & 11 where fine on it after 2 days of snow skiing (and umpteen dry slope setions Smile )

Enjoy I have only two weeks left myself until I go and struggle not to be on this forum all the time instead of working (which I should be doing now)
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
just got back from flaine 2 hours ago, very good time was had. heavy snow during the week really freshened the place up. was playing in knee deep powder on wednesday. not sure what the forecast is, but temps seemed to still be fairly low. enjoy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
bigtoe, Quickest way would be to drive to Morillon and use the links to Flaine (now they are open!).

Updated report - just back today after a week in Samoens.

Arrived Sunday so Monday was first skiing day. Very patchy low down (Samoens 1600 looked almost like summer!) and was I reckon on 2 days from closing possibly? Above about 1800 - skiing was quite good considering, few icy patches - but not too bad - plenty of closed pistes.

Tuesday Morning - much the same as Monday - then it started snowing snowHead

Wednesday - still snowing and over 30cms at village level - our balcony was a happy sight to see. Skiing was good fun as no-where seemed to have been groomed Laughing although the wife and kids (who haven't skied as much as me didn't like it too much. Loads of powder to plough through.

Thursday & Friday - pistes very nicely groomed, fine skiing at almost all levels, snow-cannons on all day and night - obvsiously trying to make up for lost time. Some of the icy patches re-appeared on the busy corners - but nothing too bad.

Saturday - more great skiing in brilliant sunshine - I skied Morillon down to 1100 level and Les Carroz - both have plenty of artificial snow lower down - but still good fun. Not enough cover to last too long - the rocks are appearing and the hire shops must be repairing skis/boards ful time at the moment.

All-in-all we had a great week - not sure how much fun February will be without more dumps like Tuesday/Wednesdays though.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Latest repor tform the OL, skiing in Flaine, staying in Les Carroz, arrived last night.

"Snow on piste not bad, off piste no good."

Make of that what you will.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
justacey wrote:

But I haven't quite had my question answered. Is the end of that run in the picture as steep and narrow and awkward as it looks?

It is great at the top definately worth doing. Don't be put off - it only looks narrow because of the thin strip of snow down the middle. In general it's great.

However the best ever runs (in my opinion anyway) are Sairon & Timmolets - FAB!!!

Enjoy!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I know I keep going on about it (look at it today) Shocked
But surely that can't be the only route back from Les Carroz and Samoens and Morillon etc.
Although on a closer look at the piste map - what about the Baudroie piste - is that a short cut to the Balacha drag lifts? or Aventurine?

I'm even looking closely at Google Earth to see if I can see the lifts - I've got it bad haven't I?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
justacey, thats surely not a run?! Shocked
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Got back from Les Carroz after 4 days skiing, great guided off piste in flaine on the 1st day and superb blue sky piste skiing thereafter. The guide (Fred Prieur Blanc) was suggested to me by someone on the site and he was excellent, finding us abundant virgin powder in Flaine and Les Carroz and giving great instruction to boot. He also does private lessons for all levels he taught a couple of our group and the improvement was startling, i would highly recommend him. To anyone heading out there now Flaine was offering the best skiing the runs off the top cable car were in great condition, the lower runs in les carroz were good but getting rocky by yesterday afternoon. Up high in Samoens was still ok and the sairon piste in Morillon was pretty good for beginners.

justacey, there is another run back to flaine, it forks towards the end and i believe the right hand fork is the run in your photo. The main run in which goes to the top of the beginners drag lift was still ok yesterday. Not particularly pleasant in heavy traffic but adequate. My advice would be to stick with flaine though.
latest report
when i went to flaine it was raining!
ski holidays
davejsy wrote:
justacey, thats surely not a run?! Shocked

My thoughts exactly. Which is why I keep asking all the time. I have seen people skiing down it on the videos, but not often (and not in that condition Laughing )
ski holidays
justacey, I will answer your question. The main run back is indeed that one - but it isn't as bad as it looks. It is a Blue run which anyone could do except an absolute beginner. The picture you have is in pretty bad shape. It is a bit busy at times, but if you avoid 4pm you should be just fine. Most of that run is very wide and easy, just the last couple of corners where a snow-plough would get even a beginner down without too much trouble. If in the condition in your photo - it would probably be closed, but it was fine last week. Hope this helps.

Steve

PS - The above assumes it is the Grand Vans Piste, which it looks like
snow conditions
Just back from Flaine. The run being discussed above is now closed, however there is another one that is in better shape that is open. Mind you the return run is not pleasant at present as it is very icy.

Generally conditions up high are very good. We spend most of yesterday going up the higher chair lifts and the "Egg" gondola. Trips out of the Flaine area had less good snow, especially on the linking runs. It really reminded me of spring skiing with things being much better in the morning,
we did however have beautiful sunshine every day. We had a great time.

We had fresh snow for our first day (last Thursday) but they haven't had any since and there has been a bit of a temperature inversion going on with Geneva being colder than Flaine. They need more snow but if you were going this weekend there is still good snow to be found and they are working the snow-guns hard overnight and some of the day (if cold enough).
snow report
Chris Reed, oo, thanks for that. I'm going on 17th February - the week after the main half-term skiiers will wreck anything good that's left wink
snow report
justacey, Plenty of time for more snow. I went the day after a big dump of snow, the previous week would have been different. Just shows that one day can make all the difference!
latest report
justacey, we'll be there on 10th Feb - we'll try & leave some snow for you Very Happy
Seriously though, we've been to Flaine several times over the years & I've never seen the snow cover so poor as this year. That brown streak next to the GV chair really is the usual return route from the rest of the G Massif. In the past when it's skied out they've opened a route across to the Bissac drags further up the hill. There's only one thing for it - delete all G Massif webcams & weather forecasting sites from your favorites and stop worrying about what you can't change - who knows - it might snow whilst we're not looking!
snow report
Build a kicker, you can jump that brown patch easy wink
snow report
Chappers, On the "Perce Neige" itinery from Samoens towards Morillon (where the right hand bend goes towards Samoens - the size of the mogul build up the (size of a kicker) on Saturday was huge..... I know this as I very nicely said to my 9 year old "we need to build up speed here to avoid polling at the other end" (those who have been will know what I mean!) anyway - she went merrily shussing down - hit the big mound and took off - luckily kept her balance and zoomed on - when I caught up I was expecting a "Daddy... whinge, whinge about not liking it....." but she was laughing her head off!!!! Dont you just love the youthful lack of worry!!!
ski holidays
The OL returned from Flaine last night with the info that by yesterday, it was pretty crap; very icy, lots of rocks, lots of nice sugary artificial snow, lots of grass. So bad, in fact, that she and her chums felt it necessary to ski down a (fairly short) closed black bump run, which turned out to be very rocky and icy (really?), so she fell at the top, slid to the bottom and hurt her shoulder (not badly). Stupidly irresponsible or what?
ski holidays
Ahem. Will someone please agree with me that the OL is stupidly irresponsible. I exect a bit of support from you chaps.
latest report
Just a quick update. My hubby is in Morillon at the moment. When I spoke to him a while ago the snow cannons were going and had been since the pistes closed - and snow forecast shows it being too warm for cannons!!!

He said Flaine was great today but the runs to the right behind Stade where very icy. He suggests going up the gondola and doing the runs coming off to the left.

Said the links weren't too bad though although some brown patches appearing on Sairon (run back to Morillon)

Hope we get some snow soon though cause we go together on 1 March!!! May have to rethink that - keep the reports coming then we know what to expect! wink
snow report
Quote:

Ahem. Will someone please agree with me that the OL is stupidly irresponsible. I exect a bit of support from you chaps.

Apologies fellow pint owner, "Yes indeed it was irresponsible of her to do the thing you said she did which was bad"
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
richmond, Sounds like a daft thing to do to me. Which run was it that she did? Hardly any black bump runs either open or closed? Some of the red runs at the bottom were closed and good thing too, they were getting a bit scary. However with a bit of care you could avoid anything too bad.

We know Flaine very well and on Tuesday went up and down only a handful of runs all day but they were great. Serpentine, Crystal, Bellizuth (top section, bottom quite icy), top of Faust, Ermeraud were good. All off DMC/ 3 or 4-man chair. Also Mephisto was good (off the egg gondola). Serpentine is a great run as it has natural rollers in it. You never do it the same each time down so it is a new run for each decent. The only pain is the poling required to get to the top. However this has the added benefit that it is less busy as people are lazy!
snow report
Chris Reed, thanks. At last. I don't know which run it was. It was the lower part of something, it was definitely bumpy and I think that she said it was black, but I could be wrong or she may have been lying (she does that sometimes, just to annoy). Sounds as if it could have been one of the reds you mention. She said it 'looked alright from the lift'; she's only been skiing for about 23 years so it's an understandable error, I suppose.

In general they did pretty well, I think, although her opinion was that conditions deteriorated quite a lot on Wednesday. They've had a couple of short beaks in Flaine before, but in much better conditions, so they don't know where the best stuff is to be found in the present circs.
ski holidays
richmond, Probably the bottom of Faust. We did that closed section earlier in the week and it wasn't too bad but on Monday I did the Faust from top to just above the closed section and it was b*****y scary, I shudder to think what the closed bit was like!

It was an odd few days, I'm not used to seeing the sun in Flaine as it nearly always snows! Two years back we had near white-out everyday so this time made a nice change, it was really more like March than January. Things were deteriorating as it warmed up and you needed to follow the sun to avoid icy patches. We started on the left hand side of the bowl (looking up the mountain) and worked round as the day went on. The stuff directly opposite the resort (Aujon drag) never really softened up. Also the link runs out to the grand massif were pretty dicey (lots of icy patches and lots of slow, scared people). When is a blue run harder than a red run? When it's got no snow, sheet ice and lots of crowds!
ski holidays
Chris Reed wrote:
I shudder to think what the closed bit was like

Rocky, grassy and very icy apparently, with the added hazard of half witted English women whizzing down it on their arses.
latest report
Chris Reed, Since you know Flaine so well, can you tell me the best 'hidden secret' piste that will be lovely and nice (and emptyish) - all assuming there'll be a decent dump in the next 2 weeks. wink Razz
ski holidays
justacey, Yes but if I told you it wouldn't be hidden anymore wink Actually there aren't too many secret pistes and if there is a good decent dump the pistes are nearly all good.

Couple of recommendations

Green: Meleze just above Flaine Foret is the best way down if snow isn't great (need to go under a bridge under some drag lifts to get there)
Blue: Sairon (run down to Morillon), Dahu (at the top or Samoens), Crystal and Serpentine (top of which is graded Red) above Flaine - lovely and wide and Serpentine has nice rollers and jumps
Red: Mephisto above Flaine off the egg gondola. Faust top section off the DMC. In good snow the red run into Les Carroz (can't remember its name) is nice
Black: Marmottes above Samoens and the top of Dinnant Noir in Flaine
ski holidays
The red into les carroz is timalets, if you like the steep part than use the drag at the side to do it again. The red and black to below samoens 1600 are real fun in good snow, the black grand cret is not much more difficult than the red and very quiet. Goes down to a now underused old bubble at Vercland.
snow conditions
My fav is Lucifer which is a roller coaster red at the top of the DMC then go right
snow conditions
I love "Fred" - top right hand side of the Flaine bowl - only a very short run - very rarely open - but great fun as no-one else seems to bother!
snow conditions
All this info is great, I'll make a note and keep an eye out for these recommendations.
And you'll be pleased to know that the other day the panoramic webcam went round just a little bit further and I can see where the Tourmaline piste comes out so I won't keep going on about it. rolling eyes
I'm happy now that I WILL be able to do the other resorts and get back without going down that nasty bit. I know you all reassured me, but it's nice to see it in a photo.

I've been watching the webcams today (Saturday). Is it generally quiet on a Saturday? I ask because we are flying to Geneva on the Friday, staying at an airport hotel and have 8am transfers to Flaine in order to get a good half day skiing in and am hoping it will be nice and quiet. Even though it is the mid Saturday of the half-term weeks. Is Flaine much of a Frenchy day-tripper place?
ski holidays
justacey, Saturdays are usually quiet as it is change-over day - but the one we had was probably the only one for "locals" and daytrippers to get in with decent snow so it was busy. Anyone who knows the area will tell you that there is rarely a lift queue anyway! snowHead
snow report
justacey, you will love flaine, relax, smile & enjoy. Never a que Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy