Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Motorcycle clothes --> Ski clothes?

Poster: A snowHead
Hello,

First: I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find anything in the FAQ or the search.

Now, for my question I hope you guys can help me with:

I'm going to go skiing from 29th December till 7th January and since I ride a motorcycle (usually all through the winter), I have a set of good all-weather motorcycle clothes. My question is: Can I use these for skiing as well? Since they seem to fit the specifications of ski clothing: Waterproof, Windproof, Coldproof and provide protection.

Thanks for any advice,

ErwinJ
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ErwinJ, welcome to snowHead snowHead ! I can't answer your quesion as I don't know much about motorcycle clothing, but is it possible that motorcycling gear is too heavy?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ErwinJ, Welcome to snowHeads snowHead

That is a question that I asked myself the first time I went.

I think one big difference between the two is that m/c gear is not generally breathable - it doesn't need to be as if anything you are struggling to keep warm (especially in the winter). Skiing is very active - even the walking around before you start coming down the slopes and I think that you will find that you will perspire so much that your clothes will get soaked if the outer layers trap the moist air.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ErwinJ, Welconm to snowHead ;s

I would completely echo what Ray Zorro, says tried my m'bike gloves on first holiday didn't work they weren't very good gloves though. The rest of my kit ws too heavy too restrictive and too warm.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ErwinJ, It's too heavy and too restrictive... Crying or Very sad

On the other hand some motorcycle related bits of kit - e.g. neck warmers, balaclavas etc seem to be a bit cheaper than their ski-related cousins ! snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thank you for your quick replies!

I think I do have quite high-quality clothing (which is also supposed to be breathable), since I initially bought it as an actuall all-weather set (i.e. for both winter AND summer). This was due to me not having money for a leather outfit (which I do have nowadays). I found that motorcycling in anything under 30 degrees Celsius is quite doable, yet how this compares to skiing conditions is questionable Puzzled .

About the weight issues: I personally don't feel my gear as being "heavy", yet I think you're right about the "skiing is a sport" bit (I have skied (<-- is that correct??) before, in a borrowed outfit). I remember that the outfit I wore back then was probably quite a bit lighter than my motorcycle gear.

All in all, I think I'll go and try it on an indoor skiing center before I go on vacation. I will definetely get back to you guys (and girls) about my findings!

Greetings,

ErwinJ
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ErwinJ, welcome to snowheads.
One of my group the first year I went used his motorcycle gear, for skiing.
theupdside meant he didn't have to fork out pennies for gear, the downside, which I think has been said already is that he over heated alot and found the gear not as flexible as ski kit.
when it gets wet it get heavy so you may ntice a difference. Bike gear is designed to protect you from a fall / crash so tends to be heavier.
your idea of trying it indoor first is a good one. Let us know how it goes
Rob
PS have fun snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ErwinJ, welcome to snowHeads! It's an interesting idea, and what's been said above makes sense. I'm not sure if it's what you meant, but you should go to an indoor centre with real snow to get the best idea of what it's like when you fall wink

Also, I would like to applaud your self-doubt on the spelling of "skied". It is right, but the fact that you care says a lot. I hope you post many more times on the forum! Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I wore my bike trousers on my first trip on snow, along with various other bit of general purpose kit, and they did the job just about OK. I wouldn't do the same now though since I've got the proper kit which is lighter and warmer when actually on the mountain.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ErwinJ, I assume this is your first time skiing, and although all Snowheads are sure you'll love it, you don't really know yet. So I would say go with the bike kit this time. You may very well overheat, but it's only 6 days. then, when you're hooked, you can shell out for the real deal! Also, welcome to snowheads. Very Happy
ski holidays
 brian
brian
ErwinJ, they might be fine, depends what they're made of but I've seen motorbike stuff made of gore-tex xcr which is also common in high end ski clothing.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have cordura bike kit and think it would work ok, although the bottoms of the trousers are designed to go inside boots and you really want your trousers outside ski-boots for comfort. It may be possible to either borrow some trousers or hire them? Either way you will know if you can use your bike trousers if you try them out at a plastic or artificial snow slope before you go.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
My stuff was a full face crash helmet and Belstaff waxed cotton jacket and trousers - they would definitely not have worked Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ErwinJ, I have skied in a M/C jacket - got a bit hot. My worry would be about the bottoms fitting over the boots as Gordyjh says. Also I found that the jacket slipped easily on hard snow so I didn't stop after a fall as quickly, but this was 20 yrs = ago and no doubt the kit has since improved.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Erwin J
I will probbaly try to ski this season in my bike gear as well. Unfortunatelly my ski kit is back home.
Good point Martin N. though... I think this might be a huge disadvantage when you cant stop after a fall ... and then climb up to collect your skies or a lost cap cus of impact Laughing especially when the slope is steep!

Materialwise my bike gear is goretex and I agree it might be too warm when you are putting everything you can in order to make the curve work snowHead but I still will have to give it a go.

Anybody can advice if the gorotex is really waterproof... cus when its pouring here in Manchester... (when it isnt!!!!)my bottom gets a bit wet anyway (due to rain rolling eyes )
snow conditions
szy,
Quote:

Anybody can advice if the gorotex is really waterproof

Don't think it is.....well not for sitting on anyway Confused

The solution I have is a pair of really cheap, waterproof but not in any way breathable, overtrousers. Cost £10...never leaked. snowHead
latest report
ski,
I tried those skins for a tenner as well... the nonebreathable/ none leaking thing makes it like a lake from the inside... but never tried a pint out of it Skullie still better then freezing your ar*e off in really windy/stormy days.
snow report
Gordyjh wrote:
Either way you will know if you can use your bike trousers if you try them out at a plastic or artificial snow slope before you go.

I did actually use my bike gear on a dry slope more recently, but that was because I had ridden to the slope on the bike and figured that I was better off struggling to get just my boots there and not worrying too much about what other kit I could manage to also carry with me.
ski holidays
Spideog, I ve never tired artificial slope before... and not to keen on it either but theoreticly if you fall while with good speed what is the chance of geeting some burn wounds? Laughing or at least a see through hole on in your pants?!?

I hope you rented the skis etc... or you had big foot?
snow report
I ride a motorbike and ski. I wouldn't wear my motorcycle gear for skiing, despite the fact that it is good Gore-Tex breatheable Dainese gear. It is way heavier than ski gear and I would find that very wearing during the course of a day. It also isn't as flexible as my ski trousers - it is fine when you are in a bike shape, but not for the flexibility needed for skiing. I would also be worried about getting bruises from the armour - the armour is designed to protect you against a high speed impact and/or scraping along the road. That is fine, but you pay the penalty of getting bruised by the edges of the armour - a good trade-off to prevent a more serious injury. When skiing, it would be a liability as you would fall over more frequently on skis, and most of the time as a beginner you are going slowly and would just get more bruised by the armour than if you were wearing a non-armoured jacket.

Motorcycle gloves are good when the weather is really bad on the mountain - very warm and waterproof. I use Buffs and so on on motorbike, bicycle and for skiing. Otherwise, it is better to get some proper ski gear.
ski holidays
Spideog,

Quote:

I did actually use my bike gear on a dry slope

I rode my bike to the local slope once, wearing leather Tele boots, carrying skis on the bike. Just to see if it could be done snowHead
snow conditions
I'd echo most of the above having used both and found Frank Thomas gloves got very smelly. But I traded them for a pair of SOS pants someone found on a lift, which raises a whole separate set of questions.
Generally bike kit is too restrictive and too hot especially if you're shuffling around as a beginner.
snow report
The track I'm going to test it on is an actual snow track (we happen to have a lot of those in Holland, apparantly). Also, my bike gear is Rev'it Gore-Tex stuff. The restrictive bit might be a good point, as would the "not stopping soon enough after having fallen" bit. The pants do go over the shoes though, so that's not really a problem.

Booked the vacation today, so it's at least definite that I'm going! Cool Now just to find out what gear to wear (the skis and boots will be rentals).

About my "skills".... I'm quite the beginner, with my whole 2 seasons skiing now rolling eyes I do plan on getting some more practice (both over here as in the Alps), yet money is still the limiting factor...
ski holidays
ErwinJ, well - have fun! Very Happy
snow conditions
ErwinJ, A point that I don't think has been covered above is socks. Best not to wear your thick biking socks under your ski boots as they will ruck up and cause blisters. If they have seam even worse. Shocked Best to invest a few quid in a decent pair of 'tube' ski socks which will have no seams - the thinner the better. I echo the other comments above about Bike gear being heavier, more restrictive and less breathable than ski gear. I'm an ex biker and have worn both. Smile
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If motorcycle clothing was readily suitable for the piste, then the motorcycle-clothing manufacturers would expand into wintersports. They haven't and they don't. It is highly likely, therefore, that, for whatever reason, motorbike clothing is largely unsuitable for snowy pastimes.
snow conditions
Whitegold, Never seen anyone in Dainese kit? Where have you been!
snow conditions
It's a pity they don't make ski helmets like this

snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ErwinJ, I happen to be a motorcycle enthusiast as well as an avid skier. I wouldn't think of wearing my Motorcycle gear when skiing. I think it would be cumbersome.

Ski clothing is desigend to breath differently and keep in the warmth. You'll usually find a lot of well thought out features in ski clothing that you won't find in m/c clothing, such as pocket placement, waist cincher, lift tag loop(only to name a few).

My husband, on the other hand, wears a motocross helmet when he skis. Yes he's a gaper! But the cool thing about him is that he doesn't care that he's not cool!
snow report
I skied at Marble Mountain in Newfoundland a few times 15 years ago. The locals would sometimes ski in their snowmobiling gear, and even their offshore fishing gear. Canadians make jokes about Newfies.
ski holidays
Just don't wear your helmet as well as the rest of your gear - you'll scare everyone off!
ski holidays
Whitegold, Dainese?

Oops, I'm not the only one. Anothre thought is that I've often thought that bike gloves resemble ski race gloves quite closely...in teh 90's whne leather re-inforced gloves were hard to find I did think about getting bike ones, but never did.
ski holidays
David Murdoch, Maybe I just notice them because I already know the name.

They're mostly known for body armour and helmets but also have a clothing range http://www.dainese.me.uk/
snow conditions
rich, sorry, I was making the same point as you, hadn't noticed you posting it earlier. They seem to make nice kit, even if the colours are a little mono...a friend sells the MTB and ski kit and rates it highly (well enough that he skis in it).
ski holidays
David Murdoch, We had a learner boarder in borrowed v.expensive Dainese kit. We all thought it was top notch, he reckoned his mate was taking him for a ride by giving him a bin mans outfit because it had a big fluorescent band, he took a lot of convincing Very Happy
latest report
Your motorcycle back protector (if you have one) is an identical bit of kits to a ski back protector !
latest report
Odin, one could always peek at the downhill MTB market as well, thus.
snow conditions
ski wrote:
I rode my bike to the local slope once, wearing leather Tele boots, carrying skis on the bike. Just to see if it could be done snowHead

I rode back from the airport with ski's on the back of my 50cc once.

OK, so they were only blades but I did get a strange look from the checkin at the airport when they asked me what I was carrying in a ski bag in July.
ski holidays
Dainese ski jackets are the business. I treated myself to one last season (in stealth black) and I couldn't believe how many people on the slopes asked me about it. Never had that kind of response from a jacket before! It is a seriously nice bit of kit and really functional too. It is a proper ski jacket though, not biking gear.
ski holidays
Well, today I am leaving for Risoul, France and I didn't find any time yet to test it on an indoor skiing lane. So I'm just going to try it on the real slopes (better test anyways). I'll get back to you about my experiences when I return from my holiday on 07-01-2007! snowHead

Edit: No timetravelling involved, thanks AxsMan Wink

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 12-01-07 20:00; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy