Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Experienced Skier, Learner Jumper seeks Technique!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys,

I recently posted over in equipment about my boots. I was looking for some reassurance that I have the correct size. My worry stemmed because, although the boots are fine when skiing normally, when jumping, or rather, landing a jump, my toes ram forwards and bash on the front of the boot.

Turns out that the majority of people over there think that if I improve my technique, I won't feel this ramming forward effect, and to be honest, I think they're right. I'll be the first to admit I have no technique when jumping!

Therefore, I'm looking for some advice on jumping jechnique. Some may seem really basic questions.

1. When reaching the apex of a jump, should I be trying to spring upwards, or just let the jump kinda kick me up?

2. What position should my skis be in when hitting the ground?

3. What position should I have in the air?

4. What's the best way to learn to jump without killing myself!!?

And basically any other advice people could offer - what were your experiences of learning to jump? Any tips, tricks or things to avoid?

I am a sponge, ready to absorb Laughing

Mark.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Being a veteran of more bad landings from jumps than I can remember-

1. Try and pop up and forwards when leaving a jump. This keeps your weight over the front of your skis, making landing easier.

2. Ideally parallel to it, which you will manage better by leaning forward. It is possible to land on your tails, but it makes it harder to nail it.

3. Try and keep your centre of gravity low, and you've guessed it, forward on your skis!

4. Two ways, start small and work up, and if you have access and want to learn tricks, either jump into water, or on a trampoline with your skis on. Even without skis, a trampoline is a good training aid for spatial awareness.

I hope that this helps.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Oh, forgot to add, when you come for your landing, you should extend your legs to make contact, to allow them to absorb the impact smoothly.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Also, as I have learnt the hard way, it is better to gradually work up speed on a jump, rather than go into it hell for leather without having the slightest idea about the landing! Embarassed

Also be prepared to hurt yourself, hopefully in a reasonably good way, ie no permanent injuries other than to pride.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi Kramer!

Thanks for the replies - what position should I be taking in the air?? Body extended and forward, ski jump style or...??

I actually landed on my arm trying this last year - it hurt for a good 8 months!!

Mark.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
mtudor, in the air, try and keep your body tucked and low over the skis. If you're good enough, and going high enough (which I can't even come close to), then try for a grab.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
mtudor, I've some notes somewhere - I'll see if I can dig them out and chop them down !
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Very heavily edited from some notes I had on my PC . . .

Prep for take off, weight central, hands pushed forwards, legs slightly flexed (though not excessively) and upper back
slightly flexed or straight. correctly judge speed (check out landing first).

Be stable on take off, legs flexed. On take off, stretch legs to provide an upwards 'pop' movement. Keep arms in front and push upwards to help provide lift.

Land with a very slight flex (to ensure legs are not locked out), Arms forwards. Obviously essential to absorb with legs on landing, keeping weight central and hands forwards.

I'd say try and avoid flat landings on bigger jumps (they hurt). Start small and build up. I sometimes look for small step-up jumps (?) so that you land a bit higher, but at a slower forward speed. I found it makes it easier to practice 180's etc.

Take care, good luck !

I think these guys run courses in the UK . . . .

http://www.freestylesnowsports.co.uk/
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy