Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Retrieving the crashed glider of Telemark

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
For many people outside Norway (where the name means a region of the country west of Oslo), 'Telemark' is best known for the heroic wartime sabotage mission to destroy the Nazi atomic research facility at Vemork.
The British skiing troops who carried out that mission in 1942 were delayed for 3 months by the crashes of two gliders which killed 30 aboard (10 others were later executed by the Nazis). The delay caused a fight for survival, but ultimate success.
One of the gliders was never found, but last month - 62 years after the event - a Norwegian military historian discovered its remains on a mountain and an RAF team will go to the site in September to salvage worthwhile material.
Interestingly, this article from The Scotsman suggests that the glider's remains have been buried in snow all that time, which is intereresting. Is there really permanent snow that far south in Norway, or was it merely that the glider was found under snow because it was winter at the time?
Anyone?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

The British skiing troops who carried out that mission in 1942 were delayed for 3 months

The mission was accomplished by Norwegians, wasn't it? The British contingent all dies in the glider crashes. That's from memory of the "Real Heroes Of Telemark" and I'll admit that my memory is often flawed. Confused
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
skanky, you're quite right. Thanks for correcting me.This site gives a uesful explanation of the heavy water plant involved, and the various missions to destroy it.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy