Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Home Waxing

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
JimW, I think in the 2nd para in the 'sidewall removal' section of my guide that I go on to say that sidewall work may also be required on new skis rolling eyes, wink.

Some skis come needing their sidewalls taking back from new to allow the edge to be properly tuned & not foul the stone etc. My B5's were like that right out of the wrapper. My M:EX's however had loads of exposed edge so I haven't touched the sidewall at all - which is strange as both skis are Atomic & both from the same range.

Going along the lines of 'if it ain't bust don't fix it' then only do it if & when necessary. Race skis are a little different as many of them have a straight sidewall so they need working on from new - as was the case in the video.

And yes Jim, I do everything 'tuning', including p-tex candles & sidewall cutters wink. I look forward to hearing from you.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
JimW wrote:
............But whichever, I suspect, SO permitting, I may still need to come and see it done in the flesh in Nottingham...

I'd be interested in that, too, and I guess others would be. Any chance of a small snowheads session, spyderjohn?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
achilles, the best lessons are really a hands on thing & are therefore best on a one to one basis. I offer a choice of tuning lesson:

- Pay £15 for a lesson were I'll demo each work element on my gash skis/boards & then supervise you having a go. Allow 1.5 to 2 hrs.
- Pay £25 to have my #3 tune on your own skis/board & whilst doing the tune I'll demo each step & supervise you doing the rest. Takes about 3 hours (being a scouser I can really talk wink). You'll be doing at least half the work. Base repair tuition an extra £5.
- Place an order for tuning gear, save the carriage fee & drive over & I'll demo each work element on my gash skis/boards & then supervise you having a go. Cost is dependent upon what you're buying but is free for orders over £300 value which is the cost of my heavily discounted 'Advanced Kit' package plus a #2200 iron & a Beast vice set. This option has proved worthwhile for a number of snowHeads.

If 2/3 people are travelling a distance then it is worth coming together but there'll be a lot of down time for each person whilst they stand around watching whilst awaiting their turn on the tools. The time required would also be multiplied up so the above costs would apply to each person.

A tuning demo/clinic at major snowHead gathering is a possibility but unfortunately I can't make to either the Wengen or EoS bashes, although carting tuning gear out there would be a major problem.

However, I've recently had initial discussions about doing tuning demos at next year's B'ham ski show but can't say more at the moment. I'll advise as & when things develop further.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
spyderjon, Thanks for a great day at your tuning bench yesterday Jon! Very Happy

I'd like to echo all that AxsMan has said above - you really cant better learning from someone directly and I now feel confident that, with a little practice on an old (and now defunct) pair of ski's, I'll soon be competent at hand tuning and finishing my own skis. I didnt think it would be so enjoyable and theraputic too!

For anyone considering a trip to Nottingham to visit Jon, can I say 'Go for It!' ... What a great guy and I learnt so much!

Please thank Deb for all the coffees (and the Bacon Buttie at lunchtime) and I hope to catch up soon (with a further order of goodies for my new tuning kitbox).

FM Very Happy

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sun 26-11-06 19:25; edited 3 times in total
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I had a tuning lesson today with spyderjon, and brought some kit.

I can also recommend the time and effort as Jon gives very clear instructions and tells you what kit you need.
He does not try and sell any of it, He lets you decide how much to spend and gives good tips on how to save money.

I now have the dilemma that I got some new toys to play with but cannot try them on my expertly edged and waxed skis as I don’t want to screw them up.. I will just have to wait until Jan.

If you’re lucky you also get to meet Sky and watch Deb have the patience of a saint with her.

Thanks a lot to Jon & Debs for an interesting morning coffee and bacon bap
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Spyderjon,
thanks for the dvd, it was an excellent reminder. There were a few bits I had forgotten. For example, I use a wax mouse, and I think I am far too hesitant in using it!
I will have a sort through the existing tools and send a pm, as a friend who spends each season in the Alpes may want some as well.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
For anyone who uses a diamond stone to keep their edges in good shape I can recommend Jon's cutting fluid (Easicut?) for lubricating your stone. I thought it was much better than water as it allows the stone to glide freely over the edge of the ski.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Another big thanks to spyderjon for helping me start out on home tuning. I had a very interesting, educational and, most importantly, a fun morning of tuition and came away with all the kit and basic knowledge required to look after my new skis. Highly recommended for anyone looking to service their own skis. Seeing it all done first hand makes a huge difference to reading and even watching videos.

I bought a waxing iron from spyderjon too. I can't remember the model name, but it was well priced at £40 and does the job perfectly well. It came with a free stand too which I've found very handy.

UKTM.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Echoing the comments above I'd like to thank spyderjon again for setting me up with the kit and showing me how to use it properly. Have now fully waxed and prepped all four sets of skis (just the two snowboards to go Shocked ) including a hot wax scrape and four cold waxes plus a final 'Dominator' wax for them all.

After all this work, I do have one question: how long should the perspex scraper last? Mine is definitely showing signs of wear (i.e. it's not 'biting' quite so well) after what I calculate is 24 wax/scrape sessions! Is it time for a new one or is it possible to get an edge put back on it?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
AxsMan, That'll be a buying signal for a scraper sharpener then, & some more wax as well wink.

The 6mm plexi scraper I'm currently using (exactly the same as the one's I sell) I reckon has done over 100 pairs of skis but it gets a couple of passes over a Kunzmann 3376 Scraper Sharpener before I start each individual ski. As such it's now about noticeably narrower than a new one. You must also remember to use the notches & the top/end edges for scraping bits off the top sheet & edges etc so that you don't nick the good edges.

As an alternative to springing for a pucka sharpener you can keep a scraper in reasonable shape by rubbing it back & forth on some fine glass/emery paper using a 90 degree block of wood as a guide to keep it square.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
spyderjon, PM on its way Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy