Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help please - Tour Operator problem

Poster: A snowHead
OK, brief summary before I go into the specifics of the problem.

I booked for 10 with Crystal via Iglu.com and the only rooms they could give me were 4 triples and a twin. That suited because I have 3 couples ( a triple each ), 3 single males who are all friends ( triple ) and another single male who was going to take the twin.

Now, one of the males in the triple wants to cancel, so I check with Iglu and they say no under-occupancy impact, just loss of deposit - so we go ahead and cancel. Having contacted Crystal, Iglu now tell me that there is a £355 under-occupancy charge !!!

Any advice would be much appreciated......
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Find someone else to go along? wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The least Iglu can do is uncancel, so that you can find someone else to take the place, or you could stick the spare bloke from the twin in with the two remaining in the triple and cancel the twin (losing the deposit, presumably). Do Iglu accept that they gave you duff advice? If the advice was by e-mail or letter, so much the better?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mark Hunter, genius wink wink

I struggled to get 9 mates, I just don't know anyone else
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
First of all, IMO this isn't your problem, it's the problem of the guy who's backing out. Leave it to him to sort it out. If he can't keep his commitments, then it's his problem.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
richmond, I think this is pretty much the crux of the issue, they do not accept that they gave me duff advice and unfortunately I have no record only the name of the operator I spoke to - however, it would appear that some "case notes" have mysteriously appeared which highlight the fact that they did not give said advice Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Kramer, on the face of it you're quite correct, but throw in the fact that I, acting on Iglu's advice, told him that his decision had no further implications, and you can see the potential problem ?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I would set out what Iglu said to you in an email or letter, the more evidence the better & let them sort it out with Crystal at no cost to you. Presumably you are already paying underoccupancy on all the rooms anyway if they want to enforce this policy. Otherwise bump your single guy into the existing triple & cancel the twin.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Timberwolf, ah, I see your dilemma.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Timberwolf wrote:
I struggled to get 9 mates, I just don't know anyone else
I don't wish to derail this topic, but having 9 mates will be so much easier to count when our arrangement finally comes to fruition Twisted Evil
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Timberwolf, hells teeth, these people are as ghastly as estate agents. Have you spoken directly to Crystal? I've used them in the past and they've generally been as helpful as their astonishing incompetence allows. If you're happy to cancel the twin and keep the triple, they may well be willing to help, as they can expect to resell the twin and so will get the deposit and a booking (is that worth more than the deposit + £335 under occupancy? maybe not).

Kramer's right, of course but presumably they'll nly talk to you and you want to avoid your mate having to cough up for not going on his hols (after all, you can't afford to reduce your pool of friends by over 11%, can you?).

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Wed 15-11-06 16:32; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
fatbob wrote:
Presumably you are already paying underoccupancy on all the rooms anyway if they want to enforce this policy.

This is the crazy thing, upon going over the original invoice, there are no under occupancies anywhere, only supplements for balconies etc !!

fatbob wrote:
Otherwise bump your single guy into the existing triple & cancel the twin. .

Nobody wants to share, and they all see it as someone else's problem !!!!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ray Zorro, Fantastic !! Laughing Laughing Laughing

BTW, fancy a trip to Schladming in Jan ?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
try ringing iglu again - sometimes it takes a few tries to get an answer you like Happy Is it actually 'cancelled' at the moment or have they just warned you there will be a charge?

can u just cancel the twin btw? Should only be cancellation charges at least then?

aj xx

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Wed 15-11-06 17:02; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Timberwolf, I'd love to say "count me in", but then, you wouldn't be able to would you wink

Hope it sorts itself out for you though. Schladming is a great place.
snow conditions
a.j. wrote:
Is it actually 'cancelled' at the moment or have they just warned you there will be a charge?

No, not actually cancelled, but only because they haven't contacted Cyrstal to do so. I suspect because they knew there would be a foul up when they did !

a.j. wrote:
can u just cancel the twin btw? Should only be cancellation charges at least then?

see above comment about people not willing to change their expectations of the holiday, so late in the day.

I tell you, I'm not organising a group booking next year. I always thought that this group nightmare thing was a bit of a myth, but here it is in all it's glory !!!!!!
snow report
Timberwolf, haha group organiser is always hell.. plus you get the hump when no one thanks you for all the effort you put in
ski holidays
Timberwolf, You could apply to organise the PSB instead! wink wink Shocked
ski holidays
easiski, you must have the patience of a saint. Little Angel Little Angel
Do you know the worst thing is, I thought these people ( my companions ) were rock solid dependable but a) someone has let me down and b) the second something has gone wrong, they've hung me out to dry a bit by being inflexible ! Evil or Very Mad

Embarassed let's hope none of them are snowHead 's
ski holidays
Timberwolf, I would check your original booking details carefully as your contract will be with Iglu not Crystal themselves. If Iglu have told you that there is no additional suppliment and Crystal then tell them different it should be them that loose the difference not you. If you are at the stage of loosing deposits you must have your original confirmation invoice which should have a break down of what you are paying for. As you already have 3 triple rooms that are only being used by couples without any underoccupancy charge I can't see how they could then add it onto your 4th triple room that would then only be occuplied by 2 people. Were they charging you the underoccupancy on the twin room? I say stick to your guns and make Iglu fight your corner for you with Crystal.
ski holidays
I sympathise as this year I've booked a chalet in Meribel. We are 3 couples but 2 of them are not together if you see what I mean and though good friends, not remotely attracted to each other. We needed a chalet for 8 so they have their own rooms and we then try to find a single male and female. It took a couple of phone calls from Ski Solutions who I booked it with to reassure me that they wouldn't be selling on the spare twin room as I don't think they grasped the set up to start with. We've near enough given up on finding the spare bodies but got the chalet so cheap (Thomson Premier Service) - there's probably a very good reason for this and all will become clear on arrival Crying or Very sad that we've decided to split the single supplements between us, being friends and all that Blush

It does cause sleepness nights organising a group and I won't fully relax until I get there and realise it isn't the biggest dump in the 3 valleys!

Sadly my one experience of sharing your chalet with an unknown couple has put me off for life!
snow conditions
[quote="Beverley"]We are 3 couples but 2 of them are not together if you see what I mean and though good friends, not remotely attracted to each other. quote]

Whats that got to do with anything? Just cos you're in the same room doesnt mean you need to fancy each other/ sleep with each other!

Im going with my friend ( who is a boy Shocked ) and sharing a room with him, share a bed if neccessary
snow report
Thanks katski, that's very helpful......... BTW I got one of your brochures through the post the other day ......... something to do with a competition I'd entered Puzzled all looks very nice though Smile
snow report
Timberwolf, bit of a long shot, you don't work in an office that records all outgoing calls do you ?

Friend of mine is a broker and had an issue with a Tour Operator a few years back, it was quickly resolved when he offered to play them a tape of a conversation they were denying took place.

I must admit I am less and less trusting of call centres. Had a call to sky a few weeks ago and I knew the person on the other end was just guessing at the answer, so I asked them their name and also asked that they would be noting the contents of our conversation on my file. They responded that they had better check and came back with a different answer.

Idiots.
ski holidays
I've just had an "issue" with the bank where a reasonably large amount of my money ended up in someone else's account at the same bank I bank with.

For the first four phone calls noone would discuss the problem with me because the money wasn't in my account Puzzled

On the fifth call, I hit the reasonable person who recognisesd that I knew how much had been transferred; when and where from. So they transferred the money back to whence it came.

Moral - try again. And try again. Eventually you'll find a more helpful operator...
snow report
I'm rapidly losing my rag with Iglu........ which is a desparate shame as they have always been so great at customer service in the past !

I've been waiting two days now for somebody more "senior" to contact me, despite calling three times to chase them up............. Still, all going in my log of actions !

(edit for typo )
snow conditions
One thing to consider - you booked as 10, which often entitles you to a group discount. Dropping to 9 might effect the discount and hence put up the price for all of your other mates ?

Group booking is indeed a thankless task....

I booked in Meribel a few years ago for a group of 10. When we got there things weren't quite as nice as expected, and everyone made a land grab for the 'best rooms'. Completely ignoring me and my wife, while we were collecting our luggage. We ended up with a poxy small twin room ( you know the one !) while one of my so called 'mates' (who was single) was languishing in a double with an en-suite...

I couldn't beleive that it actually took an argument to resolve this particular issue. Some people don't seem to realise that chasing around TO's to try and find the right accomodation at the right price to fit everyones budget does take a significant amount of effort and stress.

Sorry you're having the stress of this - having learnt from similar bitter experiences, I still organise group bookings I'm afraid I now enforce strict ground rules before I agree that someone can come on MY trip !

If you say you are going to come, we book and THEN you cancel, you are liable for any and all costs (INCLUDING any cancellation, underoccupancy or loss of discounts) alternatively YOU find a replacement.... This often forces people to reconsider.

Still, this doesn't get away from the point that you were given duff info by Iglu....
latest report
Quote:

Completely ignoring me and my wife, while we were collecting our luggage. We ended up with a poxy small twin room ( you know the one !) while one of my so called 'mates' (who was single) was languishing in a double with an en-suite...

I hopr you evicted him and pointed out the error of his ways Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Timberwolf, Its a small ski world Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy