Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Why all the fuss about turning?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Ghost wrote:
The thrill in going straight is the sensation of speed, and a sense of power in that you can do it.

The thrill soon wains out, and you have to find bigger steeper hills and maybe backcountry and more suitable skis, which works for a while. However on these hills you soon discover that evil piste-designers muck things up for you by putting obstacles in the way and making the trails turn. Mother nature is also not so kind, eventually causing growth to sprout up on the old slide paths. Sometimes the fall-line turns. You have to follow the fall line when it turns, so you need to turn.

Further more, the more speed you can carry around that turn near the top, above the steep portion of the trail, the faster you will be going at the bottom of that steep. You discover that power is nothing without control. Mastering the turn gives you that control. Power is good, power with control is better. Soon the the focus becomes not how fast you can go, but how fast you can go around that corner next to that rock out-crop. Eventually it becomes how fast you can make any turn, and how much speed you can carry. Before you know it you are getting a charge out of skiing the fast line slow. A memory has just popped into my head, of me skiing back and forth using the whole 20 yards of trail behind a novice who was straight-lining a run with me a yard behind his tails at every pass. That was sweet.

Eventually the acceleration of a turn becomes more of a draw than the pull of gravity.

Katski of Andorra wrote:
Kramer, The problem is - people get in the way. Screaming blue murder at them sometimes gets them to move but that means at least someone needs to know how to turn to clear the way for you inconsiderate bas***d.
By all means go as straight as you can for your own fun, but better to be prepared to turn for someone else's benefit. Unless you like to be sued the poo-poo out of, of course when you mangle some kid. Actually, you go straight because you can't ski - right? Or do they only have straight mountains where you come from? Do you have to do that fancy turn where you lift your leg up and make your foot face backwards like a ballet dancer in order to get to the lift?

Shocked nerd alert! Shocked

wink
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Don't worry you'll be welcome in my head injuries unit anytime! NehNeh
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Helen Beaumont, this is a philosophy that I've come to after much contemplation. wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Katski of Andorra, as long as you wear bright colours, and make enough noise, everyone can see you coming in plenty of time, and get out of your way.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Krammer,

I'm warming to this "just go straight" method of skiing and thank you for breaking the myth of "turning" while skiing. Should my feet be equally weighted, should I be square to the skis or do you propose a countered position? Just so that I can picture it correctly please provide a diagram with different coloured lines showing the paths of the skis & body mass, along with tangental/cetrifugal forces, etc. I trust your book and DVD on this new method will be in most good bookshops by Christmas. I do thing it's worth aprroaching the FIS to see if this could be added to the winter Olmypic events. We already have a "Downhill event" so was thinking of calling it "Straight Downhill" or "Whohoaaaa" - what do you think?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Kramer, not sure my kids have though about it quite so much though!! Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Kramer, Great Thread. I just met a russian who has clearly bought your book and practiced in front of your DVD Very Happy His style was 'go straight untill you run out of piste, then fall over' very impressive to watch (from above) wink Very Happy

Katski of Andorra, I think kramer might be displaying just a touch of irony in his suggestions. Laughing

T Bar, Just make sure you are wearing a ski mask so they can't identify you later to the feds. Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
AxsMan, No, really? You think? rolling eyes
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Katski of Andorra, Laughing NehNeh Laughing
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
DB, keeping the knees flexed, with a prone position of the upper body, and the ankle neutral, brings your weight nicely over the tails of your skis, thus lifting the shovels from contact with the snow, thus increasing your speed, and by removing the ability to turn, also removing any temptation to do so.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I once met an Irishman in Livingno who favoured Kramer's method. He had a broken arm in a sling Shocked . He said he now had to remember that when he wanted to stop, he had to fall onto the "other side"! Laughing Laughing . Seriously!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Kramer, I find a flailing motion with the arms also helps
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Arno, that's the other school of going straight! That's not how we do it! wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kramer wrote:
that's the other school of going straight! wink

Is Tea leaf part of that school? Laughing
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I like going straight and fast, when I know where I am and there's a decent run out.

Never tried it backwards though. Twisted Evil
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy