Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Why all the fuss about turning?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm just wondering why people make all this fuss about turning when you're skiing. After all the most efficient way down the mountain is straight with as few turns as possible, hence you get more skiing done in a set period of time, and so get more out of your holiday.

In addition, when you turn across the fall line, your legs are fighting gravity, and centripetal force, whereas by just going straight they are doing much less work, and so lead to better endurance, hence not only do you get more skiing done in a set period of time, you're also able to ski for a longer period of time for any given level of fitness, and so get more out of your holiday.

Basically what I'm saying is that if you want your skiing to progress exponentially, forget all this turning nonsense and just go straight. It's what I've been doing for years. wink Laughing
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Excellent advice, Kramer. When do you think you'll be publishing the book and accompanying DVD (available at an additional cost)? I can't wait to finally ditch that Warren Smith stuff for "Kramerology: The Science of Skiing".
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Kramer, After you, then snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Kramer, Cool Toofy Grin
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Kramer, I am sure the mountains will be a much safer place for your advice wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If anyone has some pictures of people just going straight, then I could talk us through the finer points of the technique.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Kramer, So how many gates did you miss out in THAT race Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Kramer, The technique stars at the bottom of the hill, by picking the children out of your beard and teeth. Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I am a bit confused about all this going straight stuff. Can I just have a go at it or do you think I will need some lessons. I have tried it in the snowdome but many have agreed that its difficult to perfect the technique there. Perhaps I should buy some new skis and boots to do it justice. I was told that red boots are fastest - what do you think!
I hope you pulish your book/dvd in time for christmas!! LOL!! Very Happy snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Kramer, Dead right. Higher speeds = more friction = more wax wink
snow report
 brian
brian
Kramer, want to talk us through this one wink

http://www.freeskiing.co.uk/Videos/g-jac-mpg-hi.mpg
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pielot wrote:
...... I was told that red boots are fastest - what do you think!......

Tcch, everyone knows that orange boots are the fastest rolling eyes
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Would it not be quicker to just ditch the ski's totally and just jump from the top. Reduces the friction even more if your not in contact with the mountain.
snow report
 brian
brian
Thinking about this, I remember a day sometime in the mid-80s on Cairngorm. Howling gale force winds and absolutely impenetrable concrete sheet ice of the type I've only experienced in Scotland. The overhead was actually quite clear though. We spent the afternoon doing laps of the Ciste t-bar (normally a fairly dull beginner run you'd only ski on the way to better places) as the wind was pretty much blowing straight downhill. Probably the fastest I've ever been on skis, despite the lack of gradient. We had to leave several hundred yards stopping distance though Laughing
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Kramer, Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
brian,
I remember a day in the 80's in Cairngorm with exactly the opposite problem you had to tuck and point straight downhill to move the wind was blowing so hard uphill. They were refunding lift passes even though they were keeping a few lifts open.
ski holidays
Floppy the Snotman wrote:
Kramer, So how many gates did you miss out in THAT race Toofy Grin

I didn't miss a single one. The trick is to believe that they're all in a straight line, rather than worrying about turning to get through them.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 15-11-06 14:47; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Kramer, Sounds like a snowboarding technique - no unnecessary turns Toofy Grin
ski holidays
In this environmentally sensitive world we live in, it'd be even better without lifts. Skiing straight with bungy cords is the way to go.

PS Planning a skiing holiday is half the fun. Plan two, have just as much fun but save yourself a fortune.
ski holidays
DB, You might like to join our Serac Pulling Club. Toofy Grin
latest report
Very true -

For anyone who has seen the new TGR flick Anomaly there are some great early sequences from guys straightshooting some fairly hairball chutes (to be fair there probably isn't room to turn in a lot of them). So mark of a true playa is the straightline.
snow report
brian, that's exactly what I'm talking about. Not a wasted movement. Very Happy
latest report
Why do I turn?
Two simple answers:

1. Because I want to go over there.
2. Because I can.
snow conditions
Kramer, who's fussin'?

BTW, how long does it take you to reach terminal velocity? wink snowHead Twisted Evil
snow conditions
ssh, usually something stops me.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Found this exchange between Dominique Perret and Micah Black in an article on Outside magazine's webpage:

Quote:
"To turn is to admit defeat," Perret grins. "Going straight on long skis is like sixth gear in a sports car, going faster but with lower RPMs. I like putting it into the sixth. If you want to be passionate, let it be from the hairs to the toes."

"I totally agree with your theory of the ski," Black says, echoing Perret's Swiss-English diction. "I, too, wish to put it into the sixth. Too often American ski movies are about taking jibbers into the backcountry. All they want to do is build a cheese-wedge kicker and pull grabs. They're one-trick ponies."

Twisted Evil
ski holidays
Arno, respectfully, I think they are talking garbage - what's the difference between a one trick pony who does jumps, and a one trick pony who just straight lines it?

Going straight is fun. Jumps are fun. Turning is fun. Just doing one, to me, isn't.
snow conditions
Wear The Fox Hat, i think there is a hint of irony in there
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
No irony in my statement, I really mean it. wink Laughing
ski holidays
Which hairs does she mean then?
snow conditions
I went straight once... then Wear The Fox Hat got me trashed at the ESA! Baaaaad man.. baaaaad!!!!
latest report
Yoda, this is not a waist steering discussion.
ski holidays
spyderjon wrote:
pielot wrote:
...... I was told that red boots are fastest - what do you think!......

Tcch, everyone knows that orange boots are the fastest rolling eyes

Just by chance I found my old rear entry boots in the loft earlier today
They dont have all those buckles and things to slow you down so must be fast and they are RED rolling eyes
Im open to offers for them and they would be ideal for some one that just goes in straght lines
ski holidays
I usually turn because the is a bar to my left or right. Is this wrong Puzzled
ski holidays
No. In fact, by the end of the week in resort, mine ususally turn on their own, towards the last bar on the way back to the chalet wink .
snow conditions
The thrill in going straight is the sensation of speed, and a sense of power in that you can do it.

The thrill soon wains out, and you have to find bigger steeper hills and maybe backcountry and more suitable skis, which works for a while. However on these hills you soon discover that evil piste-designers muck things up for you by putting obstacles in the way and making the trails turn. Mother nature is also not so kind, eventually causing growth to sprout up on the old slide paths. Sometimes the fall-line turns. You have to follow the fall line when it turns, so you need to turn.

Further more, the more speed you can carry around that turn near the top, above the steep portion of the trail, the faster you will be going at the bottom of that steep. You discover that power is nothing without control. Mastering the turn gives you that control. Power is good, power with control is better. Soon the the focus becomes not how fast you can go, but how fast you can go around that corner next to that rock out-crop. Eventually it becomes how fast you can make any turn, and how much speed you can carry. Before you know it you are getting a charge out of skiing the fast line slow. A memory has just popped into my head, of me skiing back and forth using the whole 20 yards of trail behind a novice who was straight-lining a run with me a yard behind his tails at every pass. That was sweet.

Eventually the acceleration of a turn becomes more of a draw than the pull of gravity.
ski holidays
Kramer, The problem is - people get in the way. Screaming blue murder at them sometimes gets them to move but that means at least someone needs to know how to turn to clear the way for you inconsiderate bas***d.
By all means go as straight as you can for your own fun, but better to be prepared to turn for someone else's benefit. Unless you like to be sued the poo-poo out of, of course when you mangle some kid. Actually, you go straight because you can't ski - right? Or do they only have straight mountains where you come from? Do you have to do that fancy turn where you lift your leg up and make your foot face backwards like a ballet dancer in order to get to the lift?
ski holidays
Katski of Andorra,
To be honest the kids usually get out of your way when they see you coming and if they don't you can usually bomb through them fast enough that they can't catch you to sue you so there isn't really a problem Razz
ski holidays
Kramer, you need to go skiing with the Beaumont teens, they don't turn much either.
wink
latest report
Kramer, I have just read your post out to them-'the guy's got sense' was the reply.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy