Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Catching up!

Poster: A snowHead
I have not skied since 1986. Yes, 20 years!!! Then i had Blizzard skis (195cm).

Having spent an afternoon on a dry ski slope recently and found that all my former 'good intermediate' standard had not dissapeared forever ( just like riding a bike eh) i find that i am hooked again. Yesssssss.

My stats;

Age - 53 years
Wt - 105kg
Height - 1.81m
Standard- intermediate /Rough parallels (as in i need more practice)
Resorts prefered - Cervinia and Val Thorens

My question is has ski length/design changed radically in relation to Height/weight since then?
What skis do i go for now that would serve my stats. My aim is to ski as before with the holiday reps ski guide groups.I also enjoyed Monoskiing.errrrm does anyone do that anymore?

Puzzled I need help here folks -please.

That's why ive signed up on here Cool

cc_7up
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
cc_7up, Welcome to snowHead 's. I'm sure many of the very knowledgeable folks on here will be along to help answer your questions shortly, but in the meantime, Yes Skis are now shorter, with more pronounced waists and fatter tips. You'd probably want a 174 or thereabouts these days. Techniques have changed to match, do a search (menu is top left of page under 'user facilities') on 'carving'.

Monoskiing - can't help you there snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
cc_7up, welcome to snowHead
cc_7up, welcome to the 21st century
cc_7up, welcome to short turny skis
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Monoskiing went so far out its back in wink You'll probably notice a lot more boarders on the slopes. Assuming you're only looking at piste skiing a modern ski around the 170-175 mark would probably do you fine.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
cc_7up,
welcome to snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead's
I'm similar to you in that I started skiing again this year after a 12 year lay off.
It is a bit like riding a bike but do get a lesson or two things have changed a little in turn initiation with the new skis wink
I'm 6'1 and 19 stone and ski on 170/175's
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Brilliant advice lads, thankyou. Very Happy

I have already signed up for a lesson to improve my parallels at Swadlincote dry ski centre & will continue to ski there along with my other half who is starting from scratch again as it is 20 years since her one and only ski holiday too.Our aim is to be as proficient as we can be before going on a snow skiing holiday. (hopefully this season).

Rob & Gill

Nb. I added the England bit after 'Loughborough' for the benefit of our cousins across the 'pond' wink

( No Paddy, I meant America) Laughing
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've just had a quick scan around the threads in 'Benz ze knees' and yep,skis length have defo got shorter since i skied in the mid 1980s. Was this a gradual change or an overnight-ish thing? Fashion or practical (to cater for the mass market of intermediate/improving beginners)
Making turning easier than with longer skis? Do the 'new' shorter skis offer the same stabillity to someone who was happy on 195cms?
I guess i will just have to get practicing and beam up into the 21st centuary wink

Did everyone go over to the short side or are there those out there who stuck with what always worked well for them?

I guess i'd just like to know the long & short of it all rolling eyes

errrrrm, i'm off to to do some more scanning/catching up Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
One progression might have looked like this:

1994- 207cm
1996- 195cm
1998- 188cm
2000- 183cm
2003- 175cm
2006- 170cm
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Would those figures be generally for on piste skiing Comprex?
Could ski design evolution progress further or has it max'd out?

Puzzled

cc_7up
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
cc_7up yes indeed, recreational mid-speed on-piste. That progression ignores side paths like ultrashort carvers and slalom skis, powder/big mountain skis, GS racers etc, and all of those are likely to converge with what is currently called an "all mountain" ski.

No way has ski design reached anything like a plateau.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The quick answer to very long and complex answers:

1. Modern materials means that you can now achieve the same torsional stiffness (as the old long skis) with shorter length skis, and without making them longitudinally stiff as well.

2. Skiing was losing market share in a big way to snowboarding, so the modern ski as we know it (sidecut, parabola TM, carving) owes it's lineage to snowboard design.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
cc_7up, As everyone says, the ski has eveloved out of all recognition really. Now the ski does all the work, before, we did all the work - a slight simplification, but broadly accurate. Keep up with tthe lessons. It's also helpful (I think), if you get an instructor who teaches modern method but learnt on old skis and old school (what we call it now). Check out the current threads on Bend Ze Knees for more info.

Oh, and Welcome! Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks everyone for your welcomes, sound comments and advice which i have taken on board.

It's great getting the ski bug again snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Welcome back to the world of skiing!!

I grew up skiing back in the early to mid 80's on 200+ GS race skis. I made the transition to shorter carvers around 97/98 and for me it was more of a revolution than evolution. Long narrow skis virtually disappeared overnight (or at least it seems that way to me) and for good reason too. The new fangled "carvers" were a lot nicer to ski and far more versatile. Perhaps the very early carvers lost out a little in straight line speed and stability, but that's not an issue today. If you were using 195s back in the day, 170s will be just fine now.

Also make sure you take a good look at modern boots. They're much more comfortable and flex more than equivalent offerings of the 80's. It's no longer essential to be in pain after the first 30 mins!

Bindings are about the only thing that haven't moved on that much IMHO, although they do look a lot more funky now and are often integrated into the ski Wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
And did I mention that skiing off-piste in knee deep powder is now easy for any reasonably confident intermediate Smile
snow report
Boots, boots, boots. Fit and adjusted for fore/aft and lateral balance (better, SZK?! Laughing ). Boots make far more effect than they ever have before since the skis are so much better than they ever have been, and balancing in the center of the ski is the "go" position.

I skied on 205s SLs most of the time back in the pencil ski days. Today, my skis are 162cm and 170cm. I'm 6' tall and weight 175lbs as a reasonably competent skier. Hopefully this is of some help...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy