Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is the correct way to carve?

Poster: A snowHead
Just wondered what the correct way is?

Confused Confused Confused Embarassed
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
With an instructor Razz
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Greig, I am presuming two beautiful sharp lines following you. No skidding, just slicing through whatever conditions.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Put the fork in the meat, and slice with a forward/backward motion, and some downward pressure.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wear The Fox Hat, Surely you mean knife dear boy?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Bryan, you put the fork in to hold the meat, then carve with the knife. I'm not an expert meat carver, I guessed I missed out the key piece of equipment. Laughing
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...

put your skis on edge and stand on them wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Is Ali Ross still teaching? He seems to have been around for ever.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
He's known as Mr. Wobbly knee....

http://www.alirossskiingclinics.com
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
veeeight wrote:
He's known as Mr. Wobbly knee....

http://www.alirossskiingclinics.com

If that's a recent photo on his website he looks younger now that I thought he did back when he was on the TV.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for the help guys, maybe I should ask again:

As a beginner what is the correct way to carve when Skiing, what should I do differently compared to a parrellel turn?

Thanks
Confused
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It's not an ideal topic for teaching online - a couple of private lessons are probably the easiest way forward. Or if you really don't want to go that route an instructional video like the Ski CLub of GB one (cheesy, but cheap wink

aj xx
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rob@rar, no it's not a recent photo (check out the "straight" skis) wink (edit - ah dumbo, on the web site you meant. didn't read that properly Embarassed )

Greig, I would say Ali's skis are parallel, wouldn't you?

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Mon 13-11-06 20:19; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Greig, "beginner" and "carve" aren't often used in the same sentence. It also really depends on what your definition of "carve" is. The most general definition is to use the sidecut (the "arc" that the edge of the ski makes when it's tipped and weighted) to create a turn. At the extreme, it means to only use that arc, thus eliminating all movement in any direction other than along the skis' edge.

The two keys are to get the ski up on very high edges (much higher than you probably think is possible) and then to move along the length of the ski, and in no other direction. There's a lot to this and yet there's very little to it. It's a paradox. And one that is best unraveled with an excellent instructor.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hello Grieg, nice to meet another beginner and another who wants to know how these ski's are designed to work. See folks I'm not alone in wanting to know now wink
latest report
I'm not trying to dodge the question, but in all honesty, me trying to explain carving to you over the internet is like trying to teach someone to drive for the very first time over the internet.

It really is best to go with an instructor, by all means have a look at the links below, but I'm probably creating problems for your next instructor as he/she will have to spend time unravelling all this junk from your head before you can progress NehNeh

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1608/is_1_18/ai_80957464

http://www.abc-of-skiing.com/carving/

http://www.ifyouski.com/Technique/home/

edit: Oh gawd, what have I done. Please forgive me, fellow pros..... Embarassed
ski holidays
veeeight, Laughing Laughing Laughing

I think you should ask the skiers to forgive you... reading that and trying to implement it will lead to more lessons or to frustration with skiing. Twisted Evil
latest report
Best tip i ever had was to slide your inside ski forward just before the carve so there is a few inch gap between the tips of your skis, helped me get right up onto edges. Sure someone will say thats wrong thing to do though. rolling eyes
latest report
garethjomo, Fraid so.

Tip lead is inevitable when you get high edge angles, pivoting, high inclination, steep terrain etc.

Tip lead should occur as a result of something else (inclination, steep terrain etc) - but should not occur as a deliberate action.

It is impossible to eliminate, but most racers work on managing tip lead (reducing it) - the last thing we want to do is to positively encourage it (as it leads to the hip dropping to the inside of the turn, inside ski dominance etc.)

Sorry.

Here's PSIA Shield Man demonstrating some edging skills, and a simultaneous edge change. Also, as he has no articulated knee joint like us, he's doing an excellent job at managing that tip lead! But he also cannot initiate the edging with his ankles and knees! Confused But it gives you an idea of what edging you skis from arc to arc should look like.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 14-11-06 9:20; edited 3 times in total
snow report
And that tip was off one of the coaches of Welsh Junior ski team! No wonder we got no champions Confused
ski holidays
garethjomo, It works, it lets you get the skis up on edge.

But it brings about a whole host of other problems (as described above) - but most importantly, it only encourages edging of the ski by moving and dropping (countering) the hip in.

Edging should be initiated with the ankles, knees, and then finally, the hip.

edit: Here's a short video by a member of another forum, demonstrating tip lead as a result of inclination.

http://media.putfile.com/Tiplead

So - if you find yourself doing the "shuffle" during skiing...... time to seek an instructor/coach!

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 14-11-06 9:38; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
garethjomo, one hint: on a very, very gentle green while moving slowly forward, tip your skis using as little movement as possible. Just move the bottom of your feet ever-so-slightly to the right sides and then the left. Just barely moving. Only the bottom of your foot inside your boot. No other body movement.

What happens?

Wink
ski holidays
Videos at www.warrensmith-skiacademy.com

They can be saved if you look through your internet cache wink
latest report
Here's Deb Armstrong demonstrating tipping with the toes, managing tip lead with the ankle.

http://www.skitaos.org/SKI_SCHOOL/SkiTipVideo021303.php

Just ignore the super wide olympic demonstration stance wink
latest report
garethjomo, It really depends on how much tip lead .... a little is one thing and helps, a space between the boots (often seen) is not good at all! Shocked

Yoda, thanks for the pic of The Man He was teaching us to let the ski do the work before the skis were capable of it! I did my last refresher along with Ali, Stuart Adamson, Alan Hole and Alan's latest lady .... Ali was skiing like a dream, better than all the rest of us put together, and it was so lovely to see him again. Still modest, and yes - looking younger than he has any right to - he's 10-11 years older than me. The angles he makes are just, well..... AWESOME Going green

Greig, If you are doing proper parallel turns then a) you're not a beginner, and B) you're probably already carving. If you mean flinging the flat ski around by use of force, then veeeight,'s first piece of advice is best. The whole subject is very complex, and has lots of degrees of this an that, so none of us can really help you. Sad
snow report
Downhill foot infront of the inside foot. Toofy Grin
latest report
easiski, A blast from the past Laughing I seem to recall Stuart having had an "interesting" life with the ladies as well, but best say no more wink

Of course Ali claims his angles just look good because his legs are longer than the average bear, but I'm sure there's more to it than that Laughing

(One year I skied with him on Salomon 2S's - about 203cm and thin with it. I changed to a pair of 195 3S's during the week and was amazed by how those short carvy skis just whipped you round ! snowHead )

and whilst we're looking at that picture, it's worth mentioning the hand position - how many beginners/intermediates recognise themselves there I wonder? Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Yoda, goalkeeper?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
easiski

garethjomo, It really depends on how much tip lead .... a little is one thing and helps, a space between the boots (often seen) is not good at all! Shocked

I was talking about a slight slide not boots apart etc. 2 inches max between tips.[/b]
ski holidays
garethjomo, I wouldn't be at all upset by that! Cool
latest report
garethjomo, Tip Lead should still happen as a result, not as a deliberite action Cool
latest report
veeeight, Perhaps he was never taught to traverse properly. Puzzled wink
snow report
You just can't trust ski instructors can you wink
ski holidays
No more than bootfitters wink
snow report
veeeight, or anonymous posters on an Internet forum... Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil snowHead
snow report
How do you stop?
snow conditions
kiwi1, are you asking more than your question implies?

Turn uphill. That's the easiest. Of course, you can always throw them sideways and dig in, too. Cool
snow report
kiwi1, Or do you mean discussing it? rolling eyes
latest report
ssh wrote:
kiwi1, are you asking more than your question implies?

Turn uphill. That's the easiest. Of course, you can always throw them sideways and dig in, too. Cool

Got it. Thanks. By throw them sideways I assume you mean the wife.
snow report
easiski wrote:
kiwi1, Or do you mean discussing it? rolling eyes

5th amendment.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy