Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Banff vs Fernie

Poster: A snowHead
Please comment..................
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
In what way

It takes longer to get to Fernie from Calgary than it does to Banff

Or skiing wise

Fernie if you stay in town its 20 mins to the slopes, Banff its 45 to Louise or 20 plus the gondola to Sunshine

Fernie Was steeper and all on one side of the hill you didn't seem to ski over the back or get quite the same views so not as pituresque! but its a proper little town didn't quite have the blackpool feel that I think Banff has ?

I think Fernie has steeper pistes (or maybe they just seemed that way ?)

It all depends what your after ?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
what do you like ? what are you after ?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
How long does it take to drive from Calgary to Fernie? Is Calgary the closest airport that we tourists would tend to use?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
CP, IIRC it was about 4-ish hours. Not the end of the world of you are going for 10 days or more. Fernie is great. Pretty quiet and some 'adventurous' skiing.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I was interested to see the diferences between the two. Which would you choose and why?
I've looked at both official websites but it's quite hard to tell.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
SammyQ, I've not been to Banff, but it sounds great. I wouldn't rely too much on 'official' websites. Try this one for fernie:

http://far.redtree.com/
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You've got to cough up some relevant information about yourself/your group and preferences for any comparison to have any meaning otherwise are you expecting people to just write a random essay on each?

e.g Banff is in Alberta, Fernie is in BC. Driving to Banff you may see elk, driving to Fernie you may see the biggest truck in the world.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
conor, We did Panorama a couple of years ago and found 4 and a bit hours of driving, from Calgary, after a 9.5 hour flight a bit too much. It was dark most of the way so not an Elk to be seen. However the return trip in daylight was stunning, almost entirely through wilderness and we saw lots of Elk.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
CP, we didn't do our own driving, so wasn't too bad. We just sat back and enjoyed the blizzard which started about halfway there!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Banff is seriously lively, loads of bars and loads of restaurants but the travel to Sunshine/LL gets to be a pain (efficient bus service though).

Fernie (town) itself seemed pretty quiet to me. Resort looked steep but I didn't ski 'cos it was raining (2 days) which I gather is not that unusual but when it isn't rain it's snow and last year I think it got more than anywhere in Canada.

I'd probably say go to Banff as a first timer.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Fernie. next question?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'd forgotten about the large bus and the big landslide on the journey to Fernie - you can also daytrip to Montana and go through the delightful US immigration and get your apple confiscated IIRC !!!!!!!!!!!!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Helen LS, pah, confiscated apple. My g/f nearly had a gun pulled on us for starting to get out of the car, without being invited to do so, 'cos her passport was in her back pocket and it was going to be easier to get too by getting out.

I was absolutely stunned by this so when I was asked about any fruit or veg. I confessed to having some bluberry muffins 'cos I wanted absolutely no misunderstandings. Trigger happy briefly grinned before suggesting I go inside. I don't think he'd twigged we were English until that point.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Nickski, PMSL that is soo funny bet they took your blueberry muffins too ! I wonder what would happen if you chucked your bag over the border to get the contraband fruit in you probably would be shot !
snow report
SammyQ, it depends on what your after, if you want Ski in/out then Fernie is the only option of the two! I prefer Banff myself, more to do after skiing and much more choice of skiing terrain, the only disadvantage are the bus rides between ski areas but the service is very efficient, sacrificing the convenience being close to the slopes is a small price to pay in my opinion. Cool
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy