Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

do i have a problem?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I skied at the local dry slope on Thursday night and my daughter mentioned afterwards that, on short turns down the fall line, I'm getting the tails of the skis together in the turn.

As I've never seen myself ski, I can't describe this any better. Is this an issue I need to deal with / improve?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
AlpineWalker, I have the same problem on plastic, over rotate the inside leg on skidding turns, not always but have to remember to use both feet and as the inside ski has less pressure on it will tend to grip the plastic and rotate more.
Some one else may have a better explanation.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm just guessing, and it's impossible to tell without seeing you ski, but I wonder whether you are lifting the heel of your inside foot on each turn, so unpressuring the tail of the inside ski and causing it to skid across the tail of the outside ski?

I believe that this may be a sign that you're still stemming slightly, and as always the solution is to get some lessons. wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I should have said that I hadn't noticed a problem skiing anywhere I want to go on the mountain, however, I haven't had a lesson since 2002, maybe it's time to have someone who knows what they're doing to have a look at me skiing and suggest some changes.

Anyone recommend a good instructor in Tignes (December)?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I was going to start a new thread but I thought, ah what's the point. I have a confession.........

I started skiing about 15years ago. I had 6 lessons on dry slope before my first holiday, 6 morning lessons during my first holiday and 6 morning lessons during my second holiday whcih was 2 years later. So I haven't had a lesson for around 13 years and my confession is that I don't think that I know how to carve. By that I mean that I have been thinking about how I ski and I'm pretty sure that most of the time my turns are skidded coz that's how I was taught (I think , it's been so long) and this has served me well. I also distinctly remember during my last 2 holidays trying to turn by putting my skis on their edges and pressing down. Not too successful I think but I definitely remember reading about putting the skis on edge and pressing on the forward part of the edge (with the ball of my foot?). Probably not explained this well so I apologise. I've also read a lot of the technique threads on snowHead s and despite that fact that I'm only likely to get a long weekend skiing this season, I have taken the plunge and booked an afternoon session with a tutor. I hope it helps.

There, I feel al ot better for that Blush Blush Blush
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
AlpineWalker,
Quote:

I'm getting the tails of the skis together in the turn.

You'll probably find that you are 'in the back seat'. Try drawing those skis back underneath you. Try a private lesson at the Dry slope... this sort of problem can be fixed there,
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy