Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How many wear a helmet ?

Do you wear a helmet when you're skiing or snowboarding?
Yes
55%
 55%  [ 113 ]
No
43%
 43%  [ 88 ]
Don't know
0%
 0%  [ 2 ]
Voted : 203
Total Votes : 203

Poster: A snowHead
Charlatanefc wrote:
Jerry, don't you dare think of buying one, or else you'll be skiing round Zermatt on yer own at xmas Wink

Hmmm...but will it make me a better, more confident skier ?! Wink

Anyway, my head always seems to big (oy!) for hats & helmets, got an XXL aussie sun-hat that's a big snug but I bottled asking if they had any bigger ones...

PS. I notice all (?) the slalomers in Levi are wearing helmets whereas most don't usually for slalom. New regulation or just a bit icy in Levi ?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nickski, will have to watch you don't debilitate me with any of these tactics at xmas Wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hang on a minute. Which divot doesn't know whether they wear a helmet or not ??
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I found that by having a helmet the ski company staff would take you far more seriously. I went to the Elan stand without the lid and was offered some Magfire 6s, I went with the lid and they INSISTED I tried out some World Cup Race pro GSX's Laughing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Floppy the Snotman, hmm. All the gear but no idea, huh? Wink
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
geetee wrote:
Bode Swiller, what kind of camera do you attach to your helemt?
An ATC 2000. Wireless, records on to a 1gig chip. The quality won't be up to the wired ones but I figure it's more convenient and good enough for web use. Not tried it in anger yet (not even tried hiding it in the bedroom before anyone asks Madeye-Smiley ) but I'll report back when I have.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

not even tried hiding it in the bedroom before anyone asks ) but I'll report back when I have.

Shocked

Will this be shown on Snowheads, only the moderators may have something to say. wink
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Odin, now I can see what happens to MPs, celebs etc in the tabloids. Luckily the full statement appears just above your edited version. Not sure the mods would know what they were looking at though. Anyway, given the overall theme of this thread and the obvious opportunities for kn0b gags I think we'd best move swiftly along...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Nickski wrote:
Hang on a minute. Which divot doesn't know whether they wear a helmet or not ??

That'll be Halfhead Fred.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Like the idea of a helmet if only because it makes me look mad and may keep the chrome dome a little warmer as well as being another bit of kit to perv over until the first holiday!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Till last season none of my skiing friends wore a helmet, but last season my best skiing friend bought one, so I am toying with the idea. My main worry is I overheat easily and often ski with no or minimal head cover. I like my head to be cool.
Also my hearing is not that good now (I have a loud tinnitus) and I am worried I won't hear warnings. For example, even at present, I didn't hear the avalanche coming that hit me, and once, last season, when the guide was calling for me to move under the protection of some rocks I couldn't make out what he was saying. (Luckily, though, I did hear my friend shout when he fell in a tree-hole heli-skiing.)
On the other hand I regularly ski steep, rock-walled couloirs and through the trees.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I was worried about overheating as well snowball so I made a deliberate point of getting a helmet with good vents built in. Now OK it was cold at the PSB so not a propr test but I could certainly feel the difference between vents open and closed.
Hearing wise most helmets allow you to clip out the earpads if that's an issue, you would sacrifice a bit of comfort doing that though as the straps would likely be across the ear then.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks, FenlandSkier, is there a make you would recommend I look at?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowball, try the Giro Nine - a good starting point, and plenty of vents. I've skiied with mine on without the ear pads, and the straps aren't a problem really.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Also my hearing is not that good now

snowball, Sounds like you have had a good innings already...forget the helmet wink

EDIT: If it is very warm then I would probably swap the helmet for a cap or go without.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Tue 14-11-06 10:05; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Based on the advice I was given in the shop, helmets are a bit like boots - buy the one that best fits the shape of your head. I tried a few different ones in different sizes and they nearly all pinched in slightly different places, the one that didn't was the one I bought.
latest report
After an accident last year, I bought a helmet, although little used so far, I don't think it muffled my hearing too much or made me too hot.

Need to sort out some goggles that fit round it though, mine don't seem to stretch that far...
snow conditions
FenlandSkier, true dat. I should retract my earlier post, but I'll leave it there as a starting point for snowball...
ski holidays
Giro 9 for me.

I always suffered with an overheated head (and cold ears!).

Tried wool hats, fleece hats, fleece bands - going without anything. Nothing worked

However...

The helmet cured this.

I bought it originally because I'd taken some not too serious falls on icy patches, but could see how they could quite easily have been much worse.

I tried lots of helmets in different shops, until I ended up with the Giro.

Luckily the googles I had fitted - so that wasn't another expense.

We're off to Canada in siz weeks and my partner will be buying one then. (Even though he said he never would).
latest report
Thanks all.
The only time I can remember hitting my head (2 years ago) was when I stopped dead going fast and head-butted the icy side of a ditch beside a path, which was hidden by powder,
But it was my neck I hurt, not my head (and my arms suddenly felt hot and pins-and needles for a bit because nerves got pinched).
ski holidays
Floppy the Snotman, are you implying I'm past it? wink
snow conditions
snowball, I get warm easily and I have tinnitus and poor hearing even without the tinnitus. I use a Giro 9.9. It's well vented and I've never felt uncomfortably hot in it (although my hair is soaking when I remove it), and it has removable ear pads.
snow conditions
snowball, compared to me.....NO

Sub the hidden
Quote:
icy side of a ditch
for a full on blow or even a rock
ski holidays
Brought a lid last season because it was required to enter the GS at BUSC, since then i have started whareing it all the time when skiing as im parranoid that the one time i dont whare it will be teh time i have a major fall.
ski holidays
Will wear one this season as I think it is unfair to ask my son to wear one and for me not to - Anyway I wear a helmet for every other outdoor sport that I do so why not
latest report
I've just bought one (Alpina Super-G) for the GS course in Tignes. I haven't worn one before, mainly because I get so cold I prefer to wrap up with lots of Buff's and nice warm hats. I'm concerned it won't be warm enough for me, but I can always wear a Buff underneath, I suppose. I think I'll only wear it when I have to, rather than all the time - it depends whether it keeps me warm. I also prefer to wear sunglasses when I ski, so that's another reason for not wearing a helmet.

As with bicycle helmets, the evidence that overall they prevent injury is relatively limited.
latest report
docsquid wrote:
I think I'll only wear it when I have to, rather than all the time.

How will you know which days you're going to have an accident?

BTW, my Giro 9.9 is fine with sunglasses (at least, it is with my sunglasses).
ski holidays
I'd like to see this poll for just skiiers.

From the little I've seen boarders tend to wear helmets much more than skiiers.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've worn a helmet for 2 seasons following a big bash on the head in Zermatt which brought home to me how vulnerable heads are. It's a light blue Giro 9.9, not necessarily my colour, got it in the sale and v. comfy. However, I'm the only one in my group that wears one and though no-one makes any comments, I am considering going back to my favourite woolly hat. Also when skiing in sunshine and blue skies I want to feel the wind in my hair. Only trouble is, I am worried it is tempting fate. Sad

As my first trip this season is Zermatt next month, I can see myself wearing there anyway as that is where it all started.
ski holidays
Bode Swiller wrote:
geetee wrote:
Bode Swiller, what kind of camera do you attach to your helemt?
An ATC 2000. Wireless, records on to a 1gig chip. The quality won't be up to the wired ones but I figure it's more convenient and good enough for web use. Not tried it in anger yet (not even tried hiding it in the bedroom before anyone asks Madeye-Smiley ) but I'll report back when I have.

I got an ATC1000 to attach to my helmet for catching better footage of my crashes next year. I still have yet to use it in anger although I did try attaching it to my motorbike already, the picture was a bit wobbly though but ones head apparently works pretty well as a stabiliser so the pictures should not be too bad once attached to a helmet properly.
latest report
Spideog wrote:
I got an ATC1000 to attach to my helmet for catching better footage of my crashes next year.

At the risk of veering off-topic anyone got suggestions as to how to attach a camera to the front of a ski facing backwards like in the snowboarding clip under videos on that page. The camera came with some velcro pads for the helmet, which I'm not too convinced of their ability to stay attached in the event of a fall so will probably be tying it on somehow as well. But I'm certain that velcro pads would not be suitable for fixing to the front of a ski.
latest report
Spideog, my bullet camera has a threaded base, it can be fitted to a fixed mount which can be glued/screwed to flat surfaces. You might get away with some industrial strength sticky back velcro and a little foam wedge to point the camera up at you.
snow conditions
Kramer, like you I have a XXXL head, and like Frosty I have a Leedom which is very comfortable.
I always hate e.g. go-karting because the largest helmet at the track is always too small and I also always get a headache. Never had a headache with the Leedom except self-inflicted from the night before Evil or Very Mad
latest report
I voted don't know cos I wear a (cycle) helmet when roller sking but no helmet when snow skiing, but am thinking about getting one.

Dave
ski holidays
my head came with a skull..untill someone makes something better than that ill stick to a nice warm hat
snow conditions
I have worn a helmet for about 4 seasons now, and just last season i really valued it.

In Whistler, I took a tumble on a hard packed piste one day, winded myself, bit shook up, but skiied away, and kept going for the rest of the day. Knew i had hit my head, but nothing major, as such.

When i got back to resort and took it off, realised i had crakced the side of my helmet!! Very, very pleased i had the helmet on, and that was not my head with a crack!!! (bought a new one that same evening)
snow report
I have a tendency to crash at speed - too many times to remember off cycles and motorcycles, so I've just bought my first ski helmet before I crash! Smile

Jerry Seinfeld wrote:

There are many things that I think you can point to as proof that humans are not smart. But my personal favourite would have to be that we had to invent the helmet. What was happening apparently was that we were involved in a lot of activities that were cracking our heads. We chose not to avoid doing these activities, but instead to come up with some sort of device to help us to continue enjoying our head cracking lifestyle. The helmet. Even that didn’t work, ‘cos not enough people were wearing them, so we had to come up with the helmet law. Which is even more stupid. The idea behind the helmet law is to preserve a brain whose judgement is so poor it does not even try to stop the cracking of the head it is in.

Jerry Seinfeld wrote:

Now of the course the thing is Extreme sports. Bungie jumping. To me if Bungie jumping is a sport so is being a crash test dummy. Just leaning does not make it a sport. It's like a Wiley Coyote idea isn't it? The thing I wonder about the sky diving is why do they even bother with the helmets? Can you almost make it? Why don't they just wear a party hat? What's the difference? You jump out of a plane from twenty thousand feet in the air the chute doesn't open I got news for you, the helmet is now wearing you for protection. Later on the helmet's talking to the other helmets going "boy it's a good thing he was there or I would have hit the ground directly."
ski holidays
richmond wrote:
docsquid wrote:
I think I'll only wear it when I have to, rather than all the time.

How will you know which days you're going to have an accident?

I'm not convinced it will reduce my risk of injury should I have an accident. So I will only wear it when regulations say I must, otherwise I won't wear it because I'd rather keep my head warm - if I'm cold, I'm much more likely to be distracted and have an accident in the first place. I DO wear a cycle helmet, not because I think that they protect you when you are travelling at high speeds, but in case I topple over when stationary having had a clipless moment.
snow report
BTW I got a Giro G10 2 years ago, I wore it last Easter in 20 odd degrees of heat, and it was fantastic, not too hot, and never knew I was wearing it! If I was walking somewhere ie to get offpiste, I sometimes took it off.

Also prevents sunburn on heads with short hair Wink

regards,

Greg
snow report
I dont wear a helmet but mrs RH does. Mind you she tells me that in Norway only the bad skiers do not wear helmets. Fine, I am at a poor Norwegian standard, IMPROVEMENT!!!!

She needs to wear a helmet as she can ski much faster than me.

Still enjoying the slopes.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy