Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The ultimate one ski does it all - does it exist?

Poster: A snowHead
Sharkymark, Shocked Laughing
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
i demoed the recons in a 174 and the 181 and they were two completely different skis .i agree that the 181 were very floaty and turned like a battleship but the 174 were very quick edge to edge. i have heard that K2 use a different construction for the long version which definately seemed right to me. Sharkymark, try em in a 174
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
scottp, that's interesting. I'll see if I can get on a pair in January.

AxsMan, Cool
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
New (2006 or 2007) Rossi B3. Recommended by our Level 4 instructor who also does a lot of heli ski guiding as well as full time instructing on piste (icy piste too).

Tons of side cut gives good carving, fast SR turns, but wider underfoot than B2s which gives lots of flotation on pow and crud. Truly incredible ski! I have Head XP100s for super fast hard core carving and Black Diamond Cross Bows for back country touring but since getting the B3's havent used either ski both on piste and back country.

If you have the $$$ try a set of AT bindings and Garmont Adrenalin boots for the ultimate anywhere setup. This is the first pair of boots I've had in 20 years which are warm, comfy and perform as good as me ol race boots.

If your gonna be in the terrain park, also try the the Rossi BC's. A bit softer but still good performance.

Ive been a big fan of Head for most of my life but am totally converted to the B3s! (Head still makes a great ski, demo the Head mid fats and the Apache Recon is also a good ski to demo before buying).

Great to hear that your hanging with the kids on the slopes! SKI HARD DUDES!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've been looking at the Aztec Pros for my first pair of skis, primarily because alot of skis don't go smaller than 160, whereas the Scott does.
I think that has to be a key factor in the choices available. I'm a 5'7 guy, and in france they gave me some 150mm skis, but on dry slope I was given 155s.

So for me, when I'm choosing a great alround ski, I don't think many will be available. - Real Shame.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Horses for courses i'm afraid. The perfect ski does not exist as hard as the manufacturers have tried you still need atleast 2 pairs of skis to cover all types of skiing anmd situations.

Plus, Wouldn't it make skiing extremely dull if we all used the same ski because it did everything?

What ever happenened to individual taste?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
alpinequeen, A nice pair of Slalom skis and a pair of Gotamas sound about right?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sounds o.k. to me!

Let's not get bogged down with all "perfect allround ski" as we all have different anatomies, levels of skiing, techniques to name but a few.

All manufacturers make good skis, Let them do the work and us have the fun in the witer.

Try a couple and buy. Don't waste a week searching for the "perfect ski"
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
What would one suggest for a first ski for someone who's about Level 2B in French Ski School? Been for only 1 week so far, but am very comfortable skiing Parallel, and I will soon be venturing onto reds. Still on on-piste at the moment. I don't want to hire stuff, I'm one of those people who likes to have my own gear. Skiing will become a few times a year for me in the very near future.

As mentioned above, I'm about 5'7 and approx. 10 and a half stone.

I'm kinda stuck, sort of in between Scott Aztecs or K2 3Com sort of thing.
or would it be better off going for something like an Aztec Pro or a 5Com or Legend 4800? - is it ok for someone like me, to use such a ski? or does it not really matter all that much? It's just these skis are more likely available in my size.

I just want a ski that will last me a while which I won't grow out of as quickly, hence the latter suggestions... hmmm *rubs chin*

Sorry for all these questions. rolling eyes

Thank you,

Si

Edit: P.S. I'm really sorry, this is probably high up there in the list of most annoying questions.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 1-12-06 23:28; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
K2 Apache Recons get my vote everytime - love them! They are also pretty quick on piste with minimal chatter which I love most about them.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The Crossfire might be more me rather than the Recons. The recons only go down to 160.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mr.Si - I've got Aztecs Pros and, much to my horror, Mrs PhillipStanton has Aztecs (the non-pro version). They're great skis.

At 10 and a half stone, and the stage you're at, I reckon you'd be better with the straight Aztecs - which are softer than the Pros.

I'm surprised that, at 170cm, you're worried about ski length. I'm 174 and ski on a 175 ski - you could ski a 165 easily. The only reason to take a shorter ski is to make it easier to turn (though I might be being a little old fashioned here). Mrs PhillipStanton is 163 and a tad under 9st - she skis a 165 Aztec without any problems.

Really though, the only way to tell is to hire the skis you're interested in and give them a try. Buy the ones that feel right when you ski them.
Mr.Si wrote:
Edit: P.S. I'm really sorry, this is probably high up there in the list of most annoying questions.

Not at all and far from it. You need to look around the forums more carefully - I ask more annoying questions all the time rolling eyes
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
MR SI.

Basically, Don't over spend.

As a 1 week skier 3 coms will be plenty of ski for now and a few years to come!

As comfortable as you are, by the time you can really use any apache ski properly it will be time to buy a new pair again as the ski will "tire" with use.

The zenith z3 skis beautifully at a great price point.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Won't be trading my Karmas in for a while yet but I reckon Movement Flames or Sparks fit the bill. The Flame is a great do it all ski.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
MISSION. End of. Cool

I sure hope so. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
achilles,

Don't worry, they'll be fine
ski holidays
PhillipStanton and alpinequeen, thank you for the comments.

So you reckon I can go to something like 160 or 165? I was looking on the buying guide on the Snow and Rock site, (they've got a store near me so I'll probably buy from them), and it suggests for my weight, 155cm. +0cm for recreational and +5cm for "advanced" (read "intermediate" I presume).

See, I learnt on Rossi Z5's, but while I got on well with them, I'd like one with a funky design too! (sad I know). Not many places seem to sell the non pro versions of the Aztec. But the K2 3com is much more avialable and comes in 160, which I reckon would be good, plus it's cheaper! by like 120 pounds!

hmm serious pondering over the next few weeks...
ski holidays
does the b2 have a bad smell !!
or
have only a short self life !!
or
does the rossi rep have a bad attitude!!
if not why O why does this ski get such a bad rap when all ski reports say great ski and best ski and if you only have 1 ski buy these.
snow report
Mr.Si, You should discount the Aztec pro at level 2 as it will be too stiff. (A fair number of instructors ski on it, and I'm considering a pair myself) The straight Aztec might be OK though, and they are a really nice all round ski. I would suggest you don't go much longer than 155 at the moment though if you want a ski that will last a while. IMO it's better to have a stiffer ski shorter than the other way round.
snow report
Mr.Si - take easiski's advice over mine. I would!

easiski - I hadn't realised they did 155s in the Aztecs (and yet they certainly do) - we couldn't find anything less than 165 last year when Mrs PhillipStanton went shopping for skis.

easiski wrote:
I'm considering a pair myself

Following on from the cow design last season, this year they're doing a denim version for a more relaxed look...
snow conditions
BTW - I've just spotted that it say "dual radius" on the description of the Aztec Pros. Anyone have any idea what that means?
ski holidays
I think I shall be going for a max of a 155cm ski, and I will most likely get the Aztecs. The price is pretty good too.

Thanks for all your help.

These are exciting times for me. snowHead
snow report
nobody has said it so I'm going to

Stockli Stormrider XL

some may say they are too skinny in powder at 75mm but they have a decent sixed shovel and I've not had a problem. They'll certainly carve a range of shapes on piste like a race ski and cut through crud. I find them fine in the fall line on bumps

J
snow conditions
PhillipStanton, what they make and what you can find in the shops to buy seems to be two completely different things! See all the length threads prior to the Mondial. We still didn't get much in the way of decent skis at short lengths for the Mondial testing either. I don't know if it's the factories or the distributors who are at fault, either way it's a pain. ie: I'm unlikely to get Movements now when I have to replace the Zags as they will not produce either the Flame or the Spark in the shorter lengths for trial in LDA. OTOH Scott are much more helpful, and will be providing a pair of Missions in their shorter length, and I already know I like the Aztec Pro ....... Very poor marketing I say!
snow report
easiski - it's got to be said that I loved the Aztec Pros from my second turn with them. I fell over on the first turn because I wasn't paying attention and didn't spot a ruddy great big patch of ice Embarassed
snow report
Are you going to ski the Mission or the Rosa Charlotte?
ski holidays
Rosa, Rosa, Rosa! Toofy Grin
latest report
shorty, I think it's just 'Bandit Envy' Very Happy BTW Mr.Si, if you do got for these (or any other ski for that matter) you will of course need 2. Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
AxsMan, Laughing really? oh no, that's a bummer, now I've got to re-think my budget! Shocked Toofy Grin
ski holidays
One ski that does it all ? Myth ? Not anymore. I got myself a pair of Edelwiser Swing last season and I 'm more than happy with them. Its a ski with 125/80/114 sidecut and 12m radius. Actually a wide Slalomcarver who can handle from hard packed Ice to fresh powder and anything in between. On the groomers it perfomes excelent like a sl-carver should ( once you get used the wider waist) and in the deep ungroomed you can surf your lines as you wish. For me the perfect allmountain one-for-all ski.
snow conditions
easiski, I found that too at the Mondial: I'm pretty light for my height and was a bit peeved to find K2 were only testing the Recon in 181 which was ridulous!
snow conditions
donmeli wrote:
One ski that does it all ? Myth ? Not anymore. I got myself a pair of Edelwiser Swing last season and I 'm more than happy with them. Its a ski with 125/80/114 sidecut and 12m radius. Actually a wide Slalomcarver who can handle from hard packed Ice to fresh powder and anything in between. On the groomers it perfomes excelent like a sl-carver should ( once you get used the wider waist) and in the deep ungroomed you can surf your lines as you wish. For me the perfect allmountain one-for-all ski.

125/80/114 does not sound like a 12m radius, unless the ski is a 150 or so. My M11B5 124/76/112 is a 15m radius in a 170.
snow report
You almost got it right Phil its got a length of 162 and the radius is indeed 12m. The other models are the SPEED (for speedfreaks) 127/80/117 r=13m 173 length and the twintips Firnis 124/77/110 r=16 (170) r=17 (180) . More infos www.edelwiser.com
ski holidays
jedster wrote:
nobody has said it so I'm going to

Stockli Stormrider XL

some may say they are too skinny in powder at 75mm but they have a decent sixed shovel and I've not had a problem. They'll certainly carve a range of shapes on piste like a race ski and cut through crud. I find them fine in the fall line on bumps

J

Jedster, I've got the XLs and did a couple of days on my mate's B2s as a comparison... I'd have to say that the Stormriders are seriously good on the piste - nothing can touch them when doing mach 4 down the piste - stable edge hold and they just want to go faster! I did find them a little unforgiving (stiff?) in the bumps but that's also my dodgy technique. Off piste they were great when you got a bit of speed up carving big lazy turns and had fresh legs; but at the end of the day when my legs were knackered and/or I was trying to go a bit slower in the deep stuff I found them really heavy and too skinny. The answer is for me to develop quads like the Hermanator and just rip it everywhere!

Cheers

BB

PS there is no perfect one ski!
snow report
If you're planning skiing off piste for a significant portion of your time, the Mission is the ski to have IMV, as it performs brilliantly, whilst also being very good on piste.
ski holidays
Actually, this is a bit of a silly thread isn't it?

Can you find a ski that is ideal in all conditions? Obviously not

Can you find a ski that will enable you to deal effectively with any conditions that you find on a mountain? That depends more on the skier than the ski. Doubtless top pros could manage it superbly on downhill boards. Personally I'd feel pretty confident that I'd get by on my Stormriders.

So what does the question really mean? How about is there a ski that will allow a decent skier to enjoy themselves in just about any snow condition? The answer to that question is yes, lots of them. I'm sure many of us used to achieve that on 200cm plus skinny slalom/GS skis. We can certainly manage it on a half decent pair of mid-fats.

J
snow report
BB

I did find them a little unforgiving (stiff?) in the bumps but that's also my dodgy technique

I find I carve the bumps a little more because of the stiffness. Tend to steer into the trough and carve out of it rather than hit the back of each bump and compress which I might do with softer skis.

I was trying to go a bit slower in the deep stuff I found them really heavy and too skinny

How deep is deep? I've never skied them in anything much above knee depth (to be completely honest I've hardly skied anything much above knee depth on any skis despite having worked a season in a big snow year and heliskied on the west slopes of the Rockies). I learned to ski powder on old skinny skis so 75mm feels pretty generous. Of course you can just dial the speed up but equally you can ski slowly without huge effort. You just need to be PATIENT in the turn and wait for the platform to build, the tails to load up and then you release the energy. The stiffness of stormriders means that there will be plenty of energy...

J
snow report
J

Yep - back to ski school for me - 2 things I need to improve are bumps (skiing the zip line for at least 150m) and better technique for powder. BTW the powder I had last year in Verbier was just below mid thigh at its best.

Cheers

BB
snow report
Well, to update on my recent ski choice dilemma...

I've just bought a pair of Scott Aztecs in 155cm with the S10 Bindings

I'm a very happy person now snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
Mr.Si, good choice, I hope that you have fun on them.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy