Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The ultimate one ski does it all - does it exist?

Poster: A snowHead
As an opposite thread to all the quiver discussions, does a one ski for all exist?

It would have to, IMHO and for me be able to

ski ice and hard packed piste at slow, moderate and fast speeds
Be able to muck around at slow speeds on greens and do little jumps etc with your kids
Work in the steep and deep
Handle chop, crud and slush
Fit into ski racks on gondolas Wink

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Greg
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
K2 apache Recons work for me but im a fat B******D
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I hope so, I'm still looking for it Smile

How about these contenders:-

Dynastar Legend 8000
Head IM 82
Nordica Hot Rod Nitrous
Fischer AMC 76
K2 Apache Recon
Volkl AC3
Atomic Metron M11 B5

I guess they would all do everything, but not to equal extents.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The rossignol b2?
When i skiied on it it held ok on ice at various speeds, has a wee turned up tail for jumps and switch, is quite fat and fits into ski racks:)

Although I havnt skiied a lot of other skis for comparison.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kitenski, all skis do that Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
kitenski, there are many skis that will do all of these well. The B5s are one. The RX8s another. The Nordica Hot Rod series and even the Mach 3. The K2 Apache series.

You just need to pick the edge-to-edge quickness and the float that you prefer based on the conditions you ski most often.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
a one ski does it all - that would be a monoski, I suppose
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
marc gledhill wrote:

So you selling a pair of yours marc Twisted Evil snowHead too
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kitenski, I'll keep looking and adding to my multi-ski quiver ass I go along merrily looking for the perfect ski Very Happy
I must say, my primary ski last year was the Metron B5 and it did nearly everything I wanted. I, However, didn't like it at all in the bumps.

Now I have a bump specific ski, but I think the Metron will still be my main ski this year, unless someone wants to buy it, then I'll go shopping for a snoop Daddy!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
kitenski wrote:
marc gledhill wrote:

So you selling a pair of yours marc Twisted Evil snowHead too

No. They don't all do all of those things well wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
GeorgeM, Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
......this Ski-does Laughing
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Drop the ski rack criteria & buy something the size of a Seth. You can always ensure the edges are sharp for the ice bit and it would do everything else reasonably well - I think the true one-ski quiver works this way round not trying to get a heavy piste ski work off piste.

However thoughts on this are heavily influenced by where & what you ski.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Snowhot - a bump specific ski, so are you going to go out one day and ski nowt but bumps all day long???

ssh - "You just need to pick the edge-to-edge quickness and the float that you prefer based on the conditions you ski most often."

i guess that is my problem, there is no such thing as "most often"

ie last year, I went on a boys weekend, off piste as much as we could get it, 2 days with a guide, one on our own. Tried to avoid pistes unless they got us somewhere!

Then a family holiday, last week of the season in Trois Vallees, my normal off piste buddies were under the weather, so very little off piste, but where we did was nice spring snow, or very heavy slush. In the same day that week I could be skiing with my 6 year old on a green, in amoungst the trees, then an off piste blast home, or down thru some moguls! So was sometimes skiing icy pistes in the morning that were 2 ft deep in thick heavy porridge by the end of the day!

Cheers,

Greg
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
fatbob - the ski rack thing was a bit tongue in cheek, I'd drop that to get all the rest! I currently ski a 1080 and have a pair of Fischer Slalom skis, I'm thinking of selling both in the hunt for the elusive one ski!
snow report
kitenski, it's not a conditions selection, it's a preference. Do you like quick edge-to-edge? Then go narrower. Do you like a little longer turns when you're on-edge? Then go longer radius.

BTW, I've also found that boots really change the performance of at least some skis. My B5s are quite different this year than they were last year (on Nordica Aggressors now, was on Tecnica XTs last year). They are much more precise on edge and much more powerful.
latest report
Hmm, hadn't thought about it like that, I guess I'd take float and longer radius (long GS carving turns on piste) over shorter, but would still want the skis to do short turns when skiing tight colouirs or narrow tracks....
snow conditions
My vote is for the Scott Santiago Mission. I realy realy realy realy liked this ski - slush, ice, indoors, and its wide.
ski holidays
the skis tucked behind my bedroom door can do it all it's just a shame i can't rolling eyes
snow report
kitenski, tough one. Of those I've skied, the Legend 8000 does everything except ice, where it struggles quite a bit (copes fine with slush, bumps, steep'n'deep, nice and light so work well slow, crud just requires a strong leg), while the Volkl AC4s and Apache Outlaws probably do everything except slow as they're really quite heavy (and so the AC3s and Recons probably give a similar effect for the lighter amongst us). I would probably also go with the Scott Missions (light, very turny and plenty of float, hold a good edge), although I'm not sure I'd like to take them down a hard bumps run as they are really quite wide and very shaped, so you'd be skittering around the edges quite a bit. I really don't think you're going to be able to get a a single ski to make a fair stab at all of slalom, powder and bumps, but you may get any two of the three. Any supporters of the Aztec Pro here?

And not a real twin tip amongst them, so pretty much all of the above will go into a gondola rack (although the Outlaws may have a problem with sheer bulk).
snow report
kitenski wrote:
Hmm, hadn't thought about it like that, I guess I'd take float and longer radius (long GS carving turns on piste) over shorter, but would still want the skis to do short turns when skiing tight colouirs or narrow tracks....
Any ski can do tight turns if you're OK with pivoting them. In a steep, tight couloir, you'll likely be using a fair amount of steering to get the skis around quickly enough.

I'm thinking you might want to consider a Nordica Hot Rod Top Fuel (78mm) or a Jet Fuel (84mm) if you want it even wider.
ski holidays
hmm, interesting debate as I'd hoped, my current 171cm 1080s actually do a pretty good job in most all conditions, not brilliant on ice, but skiable, the same in really heavy end of season slush, and I'm fine with splitting them to fit into gondolas.

So I guess I should perhaps try some other skis, and see how they compare!

I just wonder if I'm missing something by not using a stiffer ski...

Regards,

Greg
ski holidays
uktrailmonster wrote:
I hope so, I'm still looking for it Smile

How about these contenders:-

Atomic Metron M11 B5

That is 1/3 of my quiver.
snow conditions
I thought you were selling the Metrons, Phil?
snow conditions
You have only 6 pairs of boots?
snow report
element wrote:
The rossignol b2?
When i skiied on it it held ok on ice at various speeds, has a wee turned up tail for jumps and switch, is quite fat and fits into ski racks:)

Although I havnt skiied a lot of other skis for comparison.

You nailed it. 'nuff said. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Course the one ski that does it all exists, if you are good enough. Out of choice though, would you ? Probably not but at the Eosb Philipe le guide skied on the equivalent skis to me and I spent most of my time eating ice crystals (and swearing a lot) whilst he somehow, floated on, answering Lord Whitenoise's 30,336 questions without a flicker of irritation.
ski holidays
ssh wrote:
I thought you were selling the Metrons, Phil?

I was thinking about it, but i think I will take a couple of runs on them first. i will be sellign them, as I do all of my gear, it is just when.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'd go for a ski that had a good edge hold on hard pack, turn well and could bash through cut-up stuff and float well. 2 skis that will do his are the Outlaw and Mission, there are probably a few others. I would expect to look a bit pedestrian through the bump fields on a ski-out. I will wear that.
If I spent all day, every day in bumps, I wouldn't touch these skis with a barge....but bumps are probably less than 5% of what I want to do.

P.S 8000's are quite agile in bumps although not a proper bump ski by any defintion IMV...
snow report
Well, one ski does all - my fischers come close. However I'd say a choice between the Aztec Pro (if you can't get them to grip you're not getting enough edge angle), the Scott P3 and possibly the Very Happy Mission which I haven't yet been able to ski, but will soon!!! Yippee - Jutta's reminded the Scott guy about the 168 test skis, and he says he'll bring them .... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy I would say my Zag Le Rouge, (they really truly do it all) but we all know what's happened to Zag, so you probably couldn't get a pair if you tried now. Also, what about the Movement Flame or Spirit - both seem to be the all-round business (but I couldn't say ..... all too long again) Twisted Evil
snow conditions
RossiB2RossiB2RossiB2RossiB2RossiB2RossiB2RossiB2RossiB2RossiB2RossiB2RossiB2RossiB2RossiB2RossiB2RossiB2
RossiB2RossiB2RossiB2RossiB2RossiB2RossiB2RossiB2RossiB2RossiB2RossiB2RossiB2RossiB2RossiB2RossiB2RossiB2
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
MISSION. End of. Cool
snow report
can you get missions in the UK, havent seen em

how do they compare with K2 Recons.
ski holidays
scottp,

I've skied both, the Recon is quite whizzy and quick but the Mission has a turn radius on 14.7m which is about the same.
The Recon will go Off-piste but you need to be on the correct lenght. The Mission is freakish because it has a very large footprint so will float and out-perfrom the Recon in softer stuff. In short, the Mission isn't far behind the Recon on-piste but I expect it to be a much better performer Off piste. I thought the Outlaw was closer to giving the Mission a run for its money, its just a little slower into the turn.

If you want 60/40 on piste then the Recon might be the ski...and thats debatable as the Mission is pretty good alround. If I wanted a better ski that the Mission for, say, hardpack, I wouldn't bother changing to a Recon, I'd have to go for Race ski.

The Recon is a fine ski, but the Mission sets a new standard IMV
snow report
Iscottp, I looked online, hubby wants some from Santa, there was somewhere http://www.sailandski.co.uk/acatalog/Scott_Skis.html .
ski holidays
Only appear to have 168 at the moment.
ski holidays
ah! The missions sounds more investigating then.........
latest report
Helen Beaumont, oh what a shame Laughing But seriously, isn't it nice for something for once only to be available in a shorter length?
latest report
GrahamN,

Quote:
Any supporters of the Aztec Pro here?

Yes snowHead Although you'll remember me moaning a bit about blunt edges and/or no edge hold on hardpack...thought that was the case until I read:

Quote:

However I'd say a choice between the Aztec Pro (if you can't get them to grip you're not getting enough edge angle)

A lesson please at the EoSB, easiski Wink

...so there's my answer. I found the AC3s astounding on the hardpack and seemed more piste-orientated. I found them a bit more of a handful than the Aztec Pros: a brute of a ski. Still undecided so I'll probably be renting both in January and skiing them for a few days each (together with the AC4s).
snow conditions
BTW, I didn't like the Recons...they only had the 181s though. They felt overdamped and soggy to me: a bit like a B2 wink Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy