Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Weekend trips from California and Boston

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

I've just found out i'll be working from San Fran and Boston for the first 6 months of next year. Can you guys give me recommendations for resorts i can drive to for the weekends near these places.

I don't mind a good drive and will accomodation be easily availible if i just turn up in resorts. (work will be paying so not too worried about the cost)

Thanks a million
John
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
johnfitz, you lucky chap!

You'll have to spend a few weekends around the Lake Tahoe area. From memory the drive is about 3-4hrs from San Fran and there are plenty of places to stop on the way. We only skied Heavenly and really enjoyed it but others have recommend Squaw Valley. Plenty of cheap motel type accom at South Lake Tahoe within a short walk of the Heavenly Gondola but as you will have a car may be easier to access the mountain from the California Base Area.

Another good option that includes a more lengthy drive but you'll have to do at least once is to get over to Mammoth. This is a great place to ski! Loads of accom there as well.......

Have a great time - I'm sure you will.

Not ski related but San Fran is my favourite of all the US cities that I have visited. Great bars, restaurants etc. Boston is also pretty good, make sure you visit Fenway Park the baseball stadium......
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There are numerous ski areas within reasonable drive of Boston. Individually they are generally small, certainly small by European standards. Though I've not skied them all, Stowe, Vermont is my favorite. It's approximately 3.5 hours from Boston. It offers 2000+ feet of verticle off individual lifts with skiing for all standards. The town itself is very charming. Stowe is a resort town, hotel rooms should be available but you might want to make a reservation, and lift tickets are ridiculously expensive. Several areas would be relatively easy day trips. Mount Sunapee is approximately 90 miles from Boston; most of the drive is on well maintained limited access roads (Intersates 93 and 89). Sunapee is a mostly intermediate area that does an excellent job with snowmaking and grooming. Gunstock is another smaller area that is about 90-100 miles from Boston; again, mostly intermediate terrain. Gunstock has kind of a retro feel with a fantastic fireplace in the lodge. Loon is approximately 2 hours from Boston. Loon is larger and is more of a destination resort, haven't skied there. Loon is reputed to have nice terrain and good views but is also reputed to be very crowded weekends; it's a stright shot up Interstate 93 from Boston so it gets a big metro crowd on weekends and holidays. If you're going over night you might also consider the Mt. Washington Valley in New Hampshire. I like Jackson, NH as a bed base (North Conway is larger and has more action but feels too much like a suburb to me). Nearby ski areas include Wildcat (arguably the best views in New England), Cannon (a more challenging moutain) Attitash-Bear (never been), Cranmore, and Black. Sunday River in Maine is one of the larger ski areas in the North East and would be somewhere around 3.5 hours from Boston. Lots of folks really like Sugarbush and Mad River Glen in VT. And there are many more I've not mentioned. So, there are lots of opportunities to ski. Many of the areas do an excellent job with snowmaking. That's a good thing cause the weather in New England can be fickle. It can snow heavily one day, then rain heavily two days later, only to be followed by arctic cold. But many of the areas really do a great job coping with the adverse conditions. And conditions can be surprisingly good after adverse weather events. If mother nature cooperates, you can have a grand time skiing here. I'm going to suggest posting your question (about Boston area skiing) on www.alpinezone.com. It's a New England oriented discussion board. You'll have to register but it's free and you'll likely get lots of advice. You might want to post your San Francisco based question on www.epicski.com. If you're in the Boston area and have specific questions, feel free to PM me, I might be able to offer some advice. -- or not.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wachusett Mountain is about an hour from Boston. Fairly small hill, but great for a day-out 2 or 3 times a season.

Loon Mountain in NH is a mid-sized station with reasonable skiing. It is 2 - 3 hours away. Good for a weekender.

Killington is the best resort in the East. Lots of runs. Nice views. The skiing is easily as enjoyable as some of the tier-2 stations in Europe, such as Serre Chevalier. The main downside to Killy is its scuzzy town. It is often rammed with Brits, too. But don't let that deter you, it is a top resort overall. Good for a long weekend.

One can't avoid mentioning Stowe. But don't believe the hype. It is a tiny ski area. You will be bored in just 2 or 3 days. The town itself is up to 10 miles from the ski area. The legendary style and atmosphere of Stowe is a myth. It is a dull, faux-posh resort with a piddly ski area. Do it for a day, to put a tick in the box, but prepare to be underwhelmed.

Sugarbush, Sunday River and Mad River Glen are others worthy of at least a daytrip. All about 3 - 6 hours from Boston.

Don't forget the weather is brutally cold in the Northeast during Winter. The icy winds really sweep down off the Canadian ice sheets, even into early Apr.

And don't forget everyone on the East Coast has the same idea as you. Be ready for crowds at weekends, especially from Dec through Feb.

The optimum trip, in my experience, is Killy during midweek in late-Mar. The icy air abates, the sun is strong, most of the resort remains open, and the crowds are tailing off.

Enjoy.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
RISkier, and Whitegold, excellent posts.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
johnfitz, I'll be in Stowe next month, and in Tahoe in March. If you're around we could have a "furthest from home snowHeads meet"
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sounds good,

Thanks a million for the super posts loads of info for me to chew on. I've been up arond Lake Winnisippakee (not sure if this is how it's spelt) and loved it up there.

Wear the fox hat, i will pm you when i know final dates.

THanks a million again

John
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks a million for the super posts loads of info for me to chew on. I've been up arond Lake Winnisippakee (not sure if this is how it's spelt) and loved it up there.

I mentioned Gunstock in my earlier post. It's near Lake Winnipesaukee and on a clear day the views of the Lake are terrific. FWIW, I had to look up the spelling, and I'm still not sure I got it correct. If you do happen to go to Gunstock for a day trip, avoid the self-service food in the cafeteria. My wife and I did have a decent lunch in their sit down cafe, however.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
johnfitz, Tahoe is at least 3 1/2 hours drive from San Fran - more if you leave at 4pm on a Friday! It is, however, a fairly simple drive. I can tell you everything you need to know about Truckee, Tahoe City and Squaw - I work at Squaw snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wear The Fox Hat, your coming to Tahoe? I'll be there!!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
As well as Squaw Valley, Alpine Meadows is worth a try (it is right next door to Squaw but a somewhat different ambience). Nearer Reno, we have enjoyed Mount Rose but it is bit trickier to get to from SFO. Not a major issue in good weather.

Depending on your level you may enjoy Northstar (known to the locals as "Flatstar"but if you are intermediate you can have a lot of fun there. If you are an expert you are better off at Squaw/Alpine)
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi there

Will be in Boston this weekend, a day early for a Monday morning work meeting and considering, if I get a moment, about popping out for a ski. I imagine I can arrange hire and things later.

Are there any decent ski shops in central Boston for picking up any bargains? Annoyed that my trip doesn't coincide with any bargains on the new iPad!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy