Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Camcorder for snowboarding ?

monito
monito
Hi

I'm thinking of getting a camcorder for my next snowboarding trip.
I want to take some vids of some runs, jumps and even half pipe stuff.

I'm wondering if any you have had any experience of similar ?
I recon I would want something robust so it's unlikely to break if I knock it
about a bit and something compact so I can carry it easily.
Any recommendations ?

Also wondering how easy you have found to film whilst boarding ?
Did it work out ? Do you end up with good footage or is there too
much movement to make good film ?

Thanks all
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Get something based on MiniDV with S-Video input so that you can attach a bullet camera to it.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Good luck, it's not easy! I have found it difficult to see the screens easily in bright light and my attempt have been hopeless. I follow someone in a blue jacket all the way down the mountain, focussing nicely on their superb turns, only to find it is a complete stranger, then my real target turns up, looking pleased with themselves, saying "I think I looked quite good there, did you get it OK?". It is also a terrible hassle when it's cold, and you have to fumble with bags, and I feel a bit vulnerable at the side of a piste with a camera, too. All in all I have decided to leave it to the professionals, but I'm sure people more practised and patient than I get good results! The attempt does leave you even more admiring of the people who make those stunning movies we all like to watch. Welcome to Very Happy snowHead snowHead and if you get some good movies, put them on for us to see!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w, I agree - the pop-out viewing screens are hopeless. Mine's got a viewfinder built-in, like cameras of old, so I just use that. I've had great results (IMHO!) with mine during the last few holidays I've been on.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w, Use the viewfinder. not the screen. It gives a much better idea of what will end up on print and saves lots of battery life.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The batteries tend to die quickly in the cold. You can detach the battery when not filming, and leave it in your pocket to keep warm (which helps). Ideally, get the shop to throw in a long-life battery when you buy the camcorder, as the standard ones tend to be fairly useless. As others have mentioned, forget the screen, use the eyepiece. The screen uses far more power and you won't see anything.

It is difficult to shoot good footage in bright, snowy conditions, but even cheap camcorders have all the functions nowadays. If shooting a moving target, you will need to get the hang of manual focus (as the auto focus may not keep up) and use the manual iris lock, to stop the camcorder automatically raising & lowering the contrast as (for example) your mate comes toward you and gradually fills the viewfinder. The obvious things like don't pan/zoom jerkily apply to all home movies.

Shooting on the move is a good laugh and can give some good footage if you are following a mate, but as most camcorders are set up for right-handed use it is easier on skis or if riding goofy. This is the only time you should use the screen. Have fun! Your footage will be rubbish to start with but don't give up.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I would go for sony hc96e cam + the dogcam 520

see example on the dogcam website:
http://www.dogcamsport.co.uk

I'm going to get one for my next trip.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ive not had much luck videoing on the slopes.. i do have 45 minutes of the inside of my rucksack that came out really well..
often if you zoom out to get the big view in, your target is a speck.. when you zoom in for a better view of your target you lose all semblence of speed and the grandeur of the scenery
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
http://www.a-digital-eye.net/2005PMA1/IMG_1139.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007QN8AG?tag=amz07b-21

I have one of these not tried it yet but i bought it in Singapore for a whoping £180 squids. its splash proof and comes with a helmet Camera also. Should be just the trick.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
dave_wick wrote:
http://www.a-digital-eye.net/2005PMA1/IMG_1139.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007QN8AG?tag=amz07b-21

I have one of these not tried it yet but i bought it in Singapore for a whoping £180 squids. its splash proof and comes with a helmet Camera also. Should be just the trick.

Unless MPEG4 cameras have improved a lot recently you might be a bit disappointed. I've got a Panasonic AV100, which does MPEG2 and MPEG4. I use the MPEG2 for boarding and the picture quality is OK, but the MPEG4 mode is awful. However I think the AV100 is a bit older, so the proof of the pudding will be in the eating I suppose.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
hyweljenkins, if you don't mind. What camcorder do you have and where did you source the bullet cam ? Ant other tips ? I'm looking to do same thing this winter. My Christmas present to myself.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Nickski, this place seems to have a good selection (better than the other sites I've came across). Were I buying a bullet cam again I'd be very tempted by the BlackEye.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Try Helmetcamera.com. Last year I went through 3 different helmet type cameras and this is the only one the lasted. You still need a camcorder which can fit in your backpack and connects to the helmet camera on your helmet or head.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I used my cam- phone wedged into a lift pass armband!!! absolutely guaranteed to crash with spectacular style with any form of 'on board' arangement I find Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Honda Kitty
I'm surprised you don't have one for the bike... or is that another crash avoidance tactic?

h.
snow report
 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I did some recording last year with my samsung mini-dv digital cam and I was very impressed with the difference that digital video makes (compared to regular (tape) video cameras. There are many different options to chose from when trying to fing that {PERFECT CAMERA} my suggestion is take a friend to record for you. Even with Bullet cams and everything else out there on the market, there still is no camera to stop the constant shaking when you film yourself.
snow conditions
It's well worth getting a helmet cam like the dogcam (what we have for biking and boarding). You can get an attachemnt so it can go on a google strap and works really well.
snow report
A mate used an Archos with a digital mini-cam stuck to his helmet, it has a long battery life and isn't too bulky. The Sept issue of MBR did a good feature on headcams and the Archos score 9/10.
latest report
i was in the oneil shop today lookgin at their H3 series back pack. your cam corder goes in a special protected area in the back and then connects on to lens (provided) on the shoulder strap of the pack. thene theres a large start/stop button on the other strap that you hit for recording.

it also connects up to your ipod and your mobile. all in all looks pretty cool - as you would expect is pricey at £250 - but the manchester store has 20% of everything tmw so hey, if your in the markert for somethin like that its certainly worth checking out, looks like a good bit of kit
snow report
is use this

http://www.actioncameras.co.uk/acatalog/info_4_sm.html

and I've picked up 2Gb memory cards for about £5 off ebay

job done Smile
ski holidays
Quote:

is use this

http://www.actioncameras.co.uk/acatalog/info_4_sm.html

and I've picked up 2Gb memory cards for about £5 off ebay

job done Thu Dec 07, 06 13:04

Thats what ive got mate, never used it yet though have you filmed with it yet?
snow report
I havn't but I will be this coming weekend, I;ll dig out a url and send you one when its done, send me a PM to remind me Smile
ski holidays
Try these guys for bullet cams, wires, battery packs etc
I suspect a lot of other venders use them and just add a bit of markup.

http://www.rfconcepts.co.uk/helmet-cam_pics.htm

I bought a kit (online) from them 2 years back. They were fine to deal with.

You still need a cam corder to plug the camera into.
Make sure you camera is enabled to record from an external source.

Some cameras have the socket, but the function has been down-graded to 'output only' to save on import duty.
aparently if the camera is capable of recording external sources, it counts as a video recorder nd falls into a different duty catgorey.
It is possible to buy a plug in module, or sometime a firmwre upgrade to restore the functionality.

The other thing to think about is controlling the camera.
Unless you go for an all in one unit (typically recording to a memory card), then you will have the cam corder in a pocket or ruc-sack. This makes it difficult to start and stop the recording without lots of faffing.

Most cam-corders will hve LANC socket control socket. You can buy a "LANC" remote control for around £30-£40.

From personl experience, you will probably want to protect the cam-corder. I have found a lunch box with holes drilled out for the cables works well.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy