Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

learning to snowboard age 12

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
hi were all good skiers but my 12 year old daughter has now decided she wants to snowboard!! I've booked her lessons in La Plagne she's got 3 hours for 5 days do you think she should be coming down blues confidently by the end of the week as were off to Bansko 6 weeks after and i don't really want her to have to have lessons again. Any comments or thoughts??? rolling eyes
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If taught by a good instructor,she should be down some decent runs by about the 3rd day!! First 2 days are make or break ( sometimes literally) so wrist guards, bum pads,and a good helmet should help to keep her confidence during the tricky period. My lad is a 12 year old profficient boarder and IT IS COOL to wear a lid.

Oh, and make sure she's warm because from experience there is nothing worse for spoiling YOUR fun than a cold kid Smile i say this because during the learning phases you do sit about a lot, mostly on ya Ar@e. Smile

Hope she has some real fun, wlcome all to snoheads. Toofy Grin
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
juliebenn, welcome to snowHead snowHead 12 is an ideal age, she will probably be doing reds by the end of the week if she is a fast learner. As paulm says, she will soon know whether it is for her or not. But do use the protection; a daughter of a friend of ours just mucked around on a friend's board for half an hour and broke a wrist.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
juliebenn,

Welcome to snowHeads.

I agree with the above. My children were about the same age, able to ski etc. The first 2 days seemed as though they were getting nowhere fast, but then it all clicked. From day 3 on they were happy getting on and off chair lifts and coming down blues.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
She should not have a problem to pick it up in a week if she sticks the first three days, they hurt. When you go on your next holiday, a few lessons at the start are also a good idea for her to get back on her feet quickly. Then after that she should be away as long as she has little fear.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
paulm,
Quote:
wrote:
First 2 days are make or break ( sometimes literally) so wrist guards, bum pads,and a good helmet should help to keep her confidence during the tricky period
I can vouch for the need of protective gear! Also good quality ski pants!

Maybe check with the ski school though, some resort insist 'children' wear helmets. Sorry i'f I'm telling you something you already know!

I've had a few attempts at boarding, but i'm an old git and it never clicked, despite throwing money at it! Way to much like hard work! If she is reasonably fit and able, there should be little problem in blues by the end of a week. If it 'clicks' be ready to have to plan you family runs around snowboarder friendly slopes! Good luck! snowHead
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
she'll be hitting the blacks after a week!

if she's already a proficient skier there will be no stopping her!

And definately get her some wrist gaurds and try and encourage her not to put her hands out when falling.

A helmet will be required, and shouldn't even be considered a 12 year old riding with out one.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My daughter was 8 when she started and picked it up straight away, I think kids will pick most sports up quicker than adults. Get her on a skateboard before she goes, it does help.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hey, I am 15 and learned to bord when i was around 12. If your daughter is having private lessons or with another person she'll learn a lot faster. I know its more expensive for private lessons but believe me it helps a lot, by my 3rd day i was doing medium reds. So if you want your daughter to be good for your next hol then splash out for the private lessons.
glad to be of help
Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
My 9 & 11 year olds have had 1 hour lesson at Xscape. Only an intro really, but they are very keen and the 11 yr old did great.
I'd get lessons in the UK before you go.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi, my duaghter is 11 and will be having lessons with BASS in Morzine. I hadn't thought about it before, but will she be able to borrow wrist gaurds from BASS or should we buy them before we go?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm not sure, I'd check with them first, send them an email, or buy a pair just incase.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
JulieBenn

quote "Snowboard!!"...... rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Both my kids snowboard (currently age 12 and 16). My biggest advice is take some protection cos they get really fed up falling over. Cheap skateboard knee and elbow pads and my kids also wear impact shorts which we bought of ebay. The alternative is a big wad of bubble wrap and tell them to stuff it down the back of their trousers.
Mick
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy