Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Wycombe Summit

Poster: A snowHead
After the fire at the Wycombe Summit in 2005 which effectively closed the slope, the owners, Snowdome (who own Tamworth), started to put together plans to provide for an indoor ski run, ice skating rink and outdoor slope.

The public consultation process commenced last month and I wondered whether there is anyone who knows how this went.

The plans are for a 100m indoor slope. I find this strange. Setting aside cost, I would have thought that a longer indoor "real" snow run would have been preferable from a skiing perspective.

The link to Snowdome's site is here for anybody interested in the proposals.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The problem has always been planning consent for a longer indoor slope. It is green belt and an area of outstanding national beauty etc. After the consultation they hope to submit the plans for consent end Nov/Dec. If all goes well the new indoor slope together with the existing outdoor slope would open in Sep 08. If you 'Google Earth' on the postcode HP10 9QQ it gives a great view of the area.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The cost and environmental impact involved in regrading the main slope to make it a safe gradient for an indoor slope would be huge.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mark Hunter, If on the original big slope then it would be too steep for snow - it would be a deffo red run! I don't understand why they don't get on with the Dendix bit (which is just replacing and therefore presumably OK) so they can do business in the meantime. They could use a temp cabin or whatever for the offices/bar etc. They were doing pretty well I thought, at least when Andy Lockerbie was running it. Anyone know what he's up to these days?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
easiski, Andy Lockerbie is involved with the new Manchester snowdome http://www.leisureproperty.com/newsdetail.cfm?codeID=16664

We http://www.wycombephoenix.co.uk/ were hopeful last year that they could continue as you describe above. However the good old council apparently required planning for any temp buildings etc, also problems with the insurance. Their main interest has always been to convert to snow. Hopefully we will end up with the best of both worlds.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
From what I can gather though the new indoor slope won't be very long.

Also aren't they planning to turn the Hemel dry slope to a snow dome?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kosciosco, Yes, I understand the plans have been submitted, apparently the slope will be only slightly shorter than at present. if approved in time, work might start about next June
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
easiski, I suspect that nothing will be done until they know what they'll be able to build. In terms of the investment needed just to get operational, given that it all may need to be removed fairly soon, the cost would outweight the benefit I suspect.

With the geographic locations of the other UK snowdomes - MK, Birmingham, Leeds and Glasgow and the proposed site near Ipswich, I would have thought that Wycombe would be ideal in terms of location, access (M40), proximity to West London and the built up areas in the vicinity.

100m seems short given that MK is, I believe, about 170m. Most seem to consider this as insufficient, especially in peak times when the uplift is slow in comparison with the time taken to ski down!

On the engineering front, is not MK built on level ground? Without the benefit of a background in construction, my guess is that it would be cheaper/easier to alter the section of the current, intended part of the indoor slope to accommodate a gradient more akin to blue than the current "red".

The environmental impact does indeed have to be considered, but were the indoor slope to built from the lower section up perhaps the impact would be lessened?

I've only once been to Wycombe and recall that the site is fairly narrow, especially towards the foot of the area, so maybe those constraints limit the potential. It does seem a shame, however, that a better solution couldn't be sought IMHO.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If Wycombe Summit installs a 100m indoor snowslope, then it will become a laughing stock. 100m is pathetic.

MK is roughly 170m and that is easily 100m too short for anyone over the age of about 10, imho.

Wycombe dryslope was excellent. Long, with a good incline and awesome views. They should use the insurance money to upgrade and renew the matting, then put a roof over it to keep the elements away.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Well, according to a previous thread here, there are plenty of dyed in the wool hardcores who would rather ski outside, than be enclosed in a freezing cold tin shed.

rolling eyes
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
veeeight, I was shocked how cold I got at MK, and TBH the snow was not worth the extra cost - placcy for me.

Whitegold, You don't want to keep the elements away, plastic in the rain is almost as good as snow, and in the snow - well!!! Very Happy

gsb, thanks for the info - he's a really top teacher too if anyone every has a chance of a lesson with him.

Mark Hunter, Very interesting. Explains a lot. Cheers
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Whitegold wrote:
If Wycombe Summit installs a 100m indoor snowslope, then it will become a laughing stock. 100m is pathetic.

Especially given that Snoasis, the proposed venture in East Anglia, plans to have 500m of indoor skiing.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've always been surprised that they didn't build something around Reading way. With the population and wealth in that area you would think it would be a prime candidate.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Possibly, but with the premium cost of land? I'm not so sure.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kosciosco, they did build a water ramp.
ski holidays
I cannot understand why someone didn't take over the snowdome project at Beckton Alps (by the Docklands in London) when it folded a few years ago. It was also on the site of an existing, good-size dry ski slope. They alread had the foundations in.
It's crazy: they have a guaranteed huge market. Why doesn't London have one?
latest report
snowball, could it be that residential development in some of the most sought after areas realises greater profit in a shorter timescale? How are you BTW?
snow conditions
I'm fine thanks - working on a retrospective exhibition which will be in Halifax.
As far as I know the Beckton Alps site is derelict since the dryslope was scrapped to build the snowdome.
latest report
I suppose one of the problems with a snowdome is that it generally is busy no matter where you build it. The MK snowdome doesn't seem to have any problems staying busy all year round from what I can see and people are prepared to travel a long way to go there.

So that being the case, why build it in areas where the land is really expensive, if the people in that area will travel to areas where the land is cheaper?

Not fair really is it though?

Now what they should do is knock down that big council estate near Havant and put a huge snowdome on top - two social benefits for the price of one!!
snow report
I think they should do something at the Devil's Punchbowl on the Surrey/Hants border. Natural hill, lots of steepness possibilities from green paths to steep blacks - green dendix and you'd hardly notice it in the trees. there's already a large car park and a cafe there ..... Hellishly steep straight down too. Very Happy
latest report
Yes, I'm afraid my wife gets fed up with me looking down beautiful coombs and fells and commenting on them in terms of skiing potential. Embarassed
latest report
easiski, well as they're planning on tunnelling under the Punchbowel, perhaps they could just do an off-shoot and create a totally covered indoor run.... snowHead Cool
snow report
Mark Hunter, what on earth for? I bet they do it before they get round to Stonehenge though - rich peeps live around there! Shocked
ski holidays
easiski, cos I'd rather ski on snow! Artificial maybe, but still snow...of a sort! I think all the various consulations for the tunnel have been conducted and outline plans agreed.
latest report
Mark Hunter, Sorry - I was wondering about he tunnel - not the covered run. I presume they're not linked. Is it just to bye-pass Hindhead?
snow report
easiski, oops, sorry! Yes, just to by-pass Hindhead. Not sure how the current situation stands, but not so long ago the A3 was the busiest road after the M25! Probably a good time to invest in property in Waterlooville!!
latest report
I'm sure there are lots of places in the South East they could easily put a snowdome on a natural slope, but I guess there is little impetus Sad
latest report
The plans have now officially been submitted on the 18th Jan. http://planningpa.wycombe.gov.uk/PublicAccess/tdc/DcApplication/application_detailview.aspx?keyval=JC2AJFSCJ5000&searchtype=PROPERTY&module=
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I wonder whether it will be approved!!!
latest report
How do we find out if this has been approved or not?
ski holidays
I'm pretty sure it has been approved. Do a search on wycombe sumit, there was a thread not too long a go on the verdict.
ski holidays
I really hope it has, It would be so cool to have it on my door step!
snow report
Link for approval here: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=32947

Neil, Same here, SO's Dad lives on London Rd opp' Currys!
snow report
It would mean there is a snowdome within 45 minutes! opposed to an hour and a 45 minutes.
latest report
Cool! Its not far from me, but Im also oposite currys. Currys Chingford that is! Its still only down the road. Hope to see you there sometime soon!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy