Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Just bought skis off ski bilek (i think?) any german speakers please read

Poster: A snowHead
Have I just done a very stupid thing?
I just went through the process of ordering a pair of skis off ski bilek and got this screen at the end.

Sie haben Vorkasse gewählt
Bitte überweisen Sie den Betrag von 462,00 Euro auf das folgende Konto:
Inhaber Uwe Bilek
Bank KSK Groß-Gerau
BLZ ********
KTO ****

Für Überweisungen aus dem Ausland:
SWIFT/BIC HELADEF1GRG
IBAN ******************
Geben Sie bitte unbedingt den folgenden Verwendungszweck an, damit die Zahlung eindeutig zugewiesen werden kann:
Ihre Bestellung wird nach Zahlungseingang versendet.
(Die Kontodaten sind auch in Ihrer Email-Auftragsbestätigung enthalten)
Ihre Bestellung ist erfolgt.
Vielen Dank für Ihren Auftrag !
Zum Eingang

Is that telling me to wire transfer the money?
If so how do i do that.
I must appear a total moron on this website lol.
I wouldn't normally ask for help with something that was gonna make me look this stupid but i've no choice here I'm afraid.
Please go easy on me hehe.
thanks very much
ryan
Smile
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
element, one of the German speakers will be along soon, but it sure looks like they want a money transfer before shipping. But don't panic, give them a call they speak English and are very helpful.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've bought three pairs of skis from Bilek and paid by PayPal on each occasion. When I had a question I emailed them and got a reply in reasonable English (certainly better than my non-existant German Embarassed ). Are you able to settle the auction with PayPal?

Although I can't read German your quote does include Swift and Iban codes which are used for international money transfers.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
When i bought my skis from Germany i had to pay by money transfer.

Just went into my bank and gave them the e mail they sorted which number was which and done the lot. Did have to pay a fee though so try and pay paypal if you can.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
element, if you enter that block of text into the AltaVista Babel Fish translator you get this:

Quote:
They have vorkasse selected please to transfer you the amount of 462,00 euro to the following account: Owner Uwe Bilek bank KSK large Gerau BLZ ******** accts **** For transfers from the foreign country: SWIFT/BIC HELADEF1GRG IBAN ****** giving you asks absolutely the following intended purpose on, so that the payment can be assigned clearly: ****** your order one dispatches after receipt of payment. (the account data are contained also in your email confirmation of order) your order took place. Thank you for your order! To the entrance
snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
slikedges, That actually makes sense wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Masque, I think element pretty much understood the message in German anyway, just wanted reassurance before transferring €462 to another country! wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
In this context I think "Sie" means "you", rather than "they" and I imagine that there were other payment options you could have chosen, maybe including paypal, and maybe including credit card, which would avoid charges.

The 373 etc number is a reference which needs to be sent with the payment so the order can be identified. "To the entrance" must be a "home" link for navigating the website, rather than part of the instruction. If nobody who really speaks German comes along, I think you could safely send 462 euros to those bank details, but be aware that you will need to pay bank charges (about £25) and when you do the transaction, which means going into your bank, ensure that Ski Bilek don't have to pay anything. Maybe a phone call to discover whether you could pay by credit card or PayPal?

Hope the skis are good after all this!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:
Sie haben Vorkasse gewählt
Bitte überweisen Sie den Betrag von 462,00 Euro auf das folgende Konto:
Inhaber Uwe Bilek
Bank KSK Groß-Gerau
BLZ ********
KTO ****

You have selected prepayment
Please transfer the ammount of 462,00 Euro to the following account:
Owner Uwe Bilek
Bank KSK Groß-Gerau
Bank Code(?): ********
Account No: ****

Quote:
Für Überweisungen aus dem Ausland:
SWIFT/BIC HELADEF1GRG
IBAN *******************
Geben Sie bitte unbedingt den folgenden Verwendungszweck an, damit die Zahlung eindeutig zugewiesen werden kann:
Ihre Bestellung wird nach Zahlungseingang versendet.
(Die Kontodaten sind auch in Ihrer Email-Auftragsbestätigung enthalten)
Ihre Bestellung ist erfolgt.
Vielen Dank für Ihren Auftrag !
Zum Eingang

For Transfers from Abroad
SWIFT/BIC HELADEF1GRG
IBAN ****************
Please give the the following 'Use Pupose' (Transaction Identifier?) so that the payment can be uniquely associated with you:
Your order will be sent after the money has been transfered.
Your account details are also listed in your email-order confirmation.
Your order has been successfully entered.
Many thanks for for your order!
See Ya
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have recently brought two sets of skis from Ski Bilek on both occasions you had to tick a box to indicate that you wanted to pay by paypal for which they made an additional charge but this was a lot less than the £25 my bank charged for a money transfer.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Actually it means please pay all monies to our agent "DB" into his swiss bank, account deatils are ...... Wink

Verwendungszweck = Reason / purpose for money transfer. Probably best to include the model of skis too (if you have the space on the transfer form).

BLZ = bank code.

Just a thought but why don't you ask him to confirm it in English?
ski holidays
 brian
brian
You could do the transfer via a broker.

www.hifx.co.uk usually have good rates, don't charge for sending and will pay any charge made by the receiving bank. They may have a minimum transfer amount though (can't remember off hand). Worth giving them a call to find out though, they're pretty efficient in my experience.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
brian, thanks for that link, it looks like it might be a cheaper way for me to make one-off transfers to France. I've looked around their website but couldn't see any indication of a minimum sum to transfer, so maybe they don't have one?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Why not just ring the shop & ask if you can pay on the phone by credit card - I assume its a shop, sport conrad certainly is. Would be very surprised if they don't speak English.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It says on their front page of their website that they speak English.

http://ski-bilek.de/index_ms.html

fatbob's suggestion is good (if they are prepared to take on the credit card charges).
latest report
 brian
brian
fatbob, good call.

But be aware that in these days of credit card companies being a bit more fraud aware they may ring up your missus half an hour later to go over the latest transactions. Embarassed
ski holidays
I have just been doing the same, ordering skis from Bilek. They do speak English, and they don't take credit cards. I'm waiting for the email reply with the payment details. If I don't get a response soon, a trawl through Ebay may be tried, and then I could use paypal.
Shipment to France was quoted as Eur 27, and the difference in price with Ellis Brigham would be roughly Eur 300.
I have been told that HIFX have a minimum transfer amount of £5k, which would be quite a lot of new skis....
latest report
Thank you all very much for your help. I am well aware of the fact that I ask stupid question after stupid question on here and never once have I been subject to a scathing remark or snobbery.
You're all nice people:)
Ryan
snow report
Hey everyone in the UK - join the euro-zone. That will make all foreign deals free of currency risk, and you can send money orders abroad at cost of a normal national bank transfer. If your bank were of the continental level, you could do it at home from internet home bank as we all do on the civilised continent. Toofy Grin
snow report
Hi element, I have just bought a brand new pair of skis from ski bilek after an e-bay auction. As a result I was able to pay via paypal for which they made a charge. Nevertheless, the skis (which retail at £599 in the UK) cost £253 including the paypal charge and delivery - and arrived in about four days.
I would happily use them again and certainly don't think that you should have any concerns (if you had any) about sending the money (once you have worked out how much and how!)
Mine look lovely and I have had to put them up in the loft in order to stop stroking them. I can't wait till mid-Feb.
All the best.
ski holidays
demos, absolutely. As a property owner in France, it would be so much easier for me. It is sometimes easier to transfer money using two paypal accounts (one UK, one French) than queue for hours on the bank on a Saturday morning. I do have to say though that Nationwide are very helpful, and I got a really good exchange rate on my money I wothdrew in Deux-Alpes last week (and no fees). Around 1.493 euros to the pound.
snow conditions
A single currency across Europe would be more convenient, but the current arrangements allow for internet banking if you want. I use the internet for my UK and my French current accounts, as well as running my credit cards. The fact that one of these accounts is in Euroland isn't a big deal at the moment - costs me about £35 per year in transfer fees - and the exchange rate history in the last few years has worked in my favour to the tune of tens of thousands of Euros if I were to sell my apartment now.
snow conditions
element, .........what's HAPPENED to those B2's......!!!!!

Buying more skis.........you naughty boy....! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
rob@rar, I have to queue in my bank to make a transfer to France,I'm told due to money-laundering regs. please tell me more.
ski holidays
Helen Beaumont, ....try www.moneycorp.com as well. I have used them for a number of years and found their service hassle free.
snow conditions
Are you all telling that you cannot make internet based bank transfers from your own account to another account in another country? The more that I read about 3rd party services for moving money and the transfer costs, the happier I am with the euro and euro-transfer rules with the euro-zone.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
demos, no, not even from Barclays UK to Barclays France, to my own account. They have also managed to mess up one transfer to our notaire which nearly left us sleeping in the car at Christmas.
latest report
Quote:

Are you all telling that you cannot make internet based bank transfers from your own account to another account in another country?

Yes, that is the situation. The forms you have to fill in each time, and sign, are a right pain (why on earth do they require the entire street address of a bank, once you have given all the required multi-digit computer codes?). And in my local Barclays the assistants don't do many transfers to euro accounts, so each time is a new adventure. Last time I tried they had run out of the forms! Given that you can make credit card payments at the drop of a hat all round the world, in a range of currencies as required, I just don't understand why transfers are such a hassle. Maybe a Snowhead banker (types carefully....) could explain?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I did it for some accomodation in Austria but I had to go in the bank and fill out reams of paperwork to do it in Euros. I could have done it in Sterling but that would have left the hotel stuck with conversion charges etc
This is one area where being 'in the zone' would be a big advantage.
latest report
Helen Beaumont, I get on the phone to First Direct (my UK bank) and instruct them to make the transfer. They already have my French bank details on file, so the whole process takes about 45 seconds. When we transferred the cost of buying the apartment we set up an account with a commercial brokerage as they were more competitive than my bank (and allowed a forward contract on the FX), and even this was done over the phone. I haven't visited a branch to do any banking (other than to use a cashpoint) since 1989; used to do it all by phone, now mostly by internet. The transfer to my French bank takes three or four days, costs £18 IIRC.
ski holidays
anyone else think that publishing the above account details on an open website may not be the best idea?
ski holidays
comprex wrote:
anyone else think that publishing the above account details on an open website may not be the best idea?
Thanks, comprex. We've edited those details out of the thread...
ski holidays
rob@rar, Compared to an average euro-zone tranfer cost <50cents/transfer, between any account in any country in the zone, you are getting robbed...

Get you government sorted, people! Cool
snow report
comprex wrote:

A tricky one that, I've come across loads of websites where people and companies have their full bank account number in public view, as much as I don't like the idea I can see how it makes life easy to pay INto it but I can't really see how you could take advantage of it.
ski holidays
demos wrote:
rob@rar, Compared to an average euro-zone tranfer cost <50cents/transfer, between any account in any country in the zone, you are getting robbed...

Maybe, but as I said earlier, the change in the €:£ rate over the last few years has meant an increase in £ value of my French property of around £12,000. On that basis I'm not too worried about paying a few quid two or three times a year to transfer money Wink
latest report
hi i bought ski's from bilek last year

went into barclays and filled in an international money transfer form got skiis about 5 days later

brilliant service!
snow conditions
Quote:

the change in the €:£ rate over the last few years has meant an increase in £ value of my French property of around £12,000. On that basis I'm not too worried about paying a few quid two or three times a year to transfer money

we are in the same situation but it could easily be the other way around - and perhaps will be, over the years ahead. Could a Snowhead economist explain why, if our place is so much better managed than the eurozone, sterling has tended to depreciate, rather than strengthen, against the euro since it was launched, despite the lower euro zone interest rates?

I like the idea of telephoning the bank to make a transfer, but Barclays appear to have nothing of this kind - maybe I will enquire, with a view to changing my account to a bank with more up to date ways of transferring money into a euro account. A telephone call is not that up to date - why can't this be done on the internet???? But it beats filling in forms.
snow conditions
pam w, no service like that from Barclays,I tried telephoning, but was told to go to the bank in person, with photo ID etc. not sure about other banks though. I don't even get any discount on transfer charges from my Barclay UK account to my Barclays France one. I now have two Paypal accounts, one UK, one French. I do a transfer by e-cheque, rather than a instant bank transfer, and it costs me about €3.50.
snow conditions
Money, money blah blah sensible stuff etc!!!! Toofy Grin

BUT what have you bought element?? Have you got them yet?! when is the test drive! snowHead Laughing

Guten Reise!! ( or something like that!) Puzzled
ski holidays
Hehe pielot, you ask all the important questions!
Bought a wee pair of rossignol scratch fs, planning on developing my park skills this winter Smile
Off to Livigno in January so im not quite sure how im going to last till then!
Thanks everyone for your responses! just one more question. If you pay by paypal, should you receive a confrimation of payment email from ski bilek? I havnt yet and payed on friday.
Thanks
ryan Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy