Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski lesson

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
"Il vero sciatore" (The true skier), is an italian book about ski teaching from 1960, that gives us a good idea how was ski technique nearly 50 years ago.

Thanks to Hibernia, I made an article at Retro Ski with some very curious pictures from that book.

You can see the article here:

Ski lesson
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
pedro maia, thank you Pedro for featuring this and returning the book to me!. I hope our Snowhead friends are sufficiently versed in the Italian language!.

Skiing technique has changed a lot in the past 50 years and it would be nice to see what our current ski teachers make of these ski techniques.

Belluno is a nice place btw! ( where I got this book, just a short distance from Cortina D'Ampezzo ).
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pedro, oops - hadn't spotted your thread and posted on exactly the same thing!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I guess the blonde in the skimpy lycra would be about 70 now!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pedro maia, that should increase your hits!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
pedro maia, Fascinating. I do think that your translation of the uphil christie is not quite right though. sorry to be so picky, but the uphill christie was later known as the swing to the hill in english, which is more or less known now as the parallel stop.

If you like (and as you have naturally returned Hibernia's book) I can send you my very precious book of ski technique from the 1930s and a couple of English ones from the 1960s. let me know. Very Happy

Now I have a bit of time and am back at home on BB I shall have another good look at your site - it seems as though you've been very busy. Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Why is it always the woman who's doing it wrong?! wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
laundryman wrote:
pedro maia, that should increase your hits!

it got me !!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
hibernia, I think the images are the most relevant here, no problem with the language.

Hoppo, I´m glad you did that, not because the increase of hits but because that means you check retro ski even if I don´t post here saying that there´s a new article.

easiski, I´ll check that, thanks, as I say at the end of the article, the translation isn´t mine, I wouldn´t be able to do it, it was a Spanich instructor who works also in the states, I´ll talk to him.

And of course I´m interested in your books, particulary that one from the 30´s since the others could make an article similar to this one.

tessaventer, At the Spanish forum I was asked the same, it´s a coincidence, I don´t have the book here but I think there are some images of men doing it wrong as well.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
pedro maia, Yeah - if the instructor working in the States is less than about 45 years old, he couldn't possibly know! I only know because that was how we were taught "uphill chirstiania" was a very big deal when learning to ski in those days. I quote from "Modern Skiing" published 1964, byDr Norbert Gemsch and August Julen; translated by Peter Lickfold

"THE UPHILL PARALLEL CHRISTIANIA The purpose of this turn is primarily to reduce the speed of a fast downhill run or to check a traverse on the slope by turning the skis in an uphill direction from a traverse run. In order to effect a change in direction of the skis at the beginning of the swing the skis are not angled but turned by a heel thrust in a close parallel position, accompanied by a moderate compensatory movement of the shoulders and hips. The sequence of movements is very similar to that of the side-slip (see page 39). In both cases the main thing is to un-edge the skis to facilitate the subsequent turning movement on flat skis"

Send me an email with your address and I'll send you the older book.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
easiski, what should I change? Uphill turn to Uphill Christiania?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Having seen this thread I dug up a copy of Il Vero Sciatore from eBay, which arrived today.

Absolutely wonderful book (even though I don't understand a word of Italian!) and well recommended if anyone is into such things.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy