Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Fantastic deal ..... or not?

Poster: A snowHead
David Murdoch wrote:
Can someone with a real legal degree please stand up?

Is this not a little like walking up to a check out with something that looks very cheap, has a sticker on it and so they have to chareg the sticker price.

It is exactly the same thing. However, if an article in a shop is incorrectly marked, they are not obliged to sell it to you at the marked price.

The price shown on the label is an "invitation to treat" - the shop is inviting you to offer to buy the item at that price. When you take the item to the counter you are offering to buy the item at that price. A binding contract is formed only if the shop accepts your offer.

The funny thing here is that there's a strong argument that Neilson accepted Hannah's offer since they took the payment. The fact that it was all processed electronically shouldn't matter.

So I agree with David Murdoch's conclusion, but not his reasoning Razz
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
They could cancel the holiday and give you your money back, error or not.

That puts them on dodgy ground in another way. If they accept it was all legal and just cancel and give a refund it could leave them open to being sued for "loss of bargain". It all depends how legal you want to go with it all.

The common sense approach is that it was a mistake, it's been sorted and neither party are out of pocket. Maybe worth pushing a bit for say £50 off voucher but no biggie if it doesn't come through.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Arno, the conclusion (that the contract is valid and enforceable) might be correct if the price was wrong but not obviously so (for example, £450 instead of £550). When the price is obviously wrong, as would seem to be the case here, I believe that the contract is unlikely to be enforceable.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
A contract is valid when:

Both parties must be legally capable of entering into a contract. (age etc)
The agreement has been entered into freely.
The purpose of the agreement must not be illegal or contrary to public policy.

So in this case point 2 may be the one that invalidates it. Eventhough they entered the contract they certainly didnt do it knowingly or freely. Puzzled
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
oh yeh ....that will £500 for that advice wink
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Are >> Great ApresSki Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I suppose it's like having a £2000 credited to your bank account by mistake. No ordinary person could get away with claiming they hadn't noticed, or thought it was genuinely theirs,and had spent it all. It would not have been "in good faith". My 2 days training for idiots in contract law said that one key essence of a contract is the intention on both sides to enter into the contract - ie the SAME contract. Neilson could readily argue that they quite obviously had no intention of entering into a contract for a Swedish holiday for £10. Not a leg to stand on, I'd say, but well worth a punt.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Had the holiday been advertised for, say, £100 instead of £10 then that would be more interesting.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Most sites have an "Errors and Omissions Excepted" clause which basically says if it was a genuine error and they get back to you on a timely basis then they are not obliged to honour the contract, simply because computers sometimes stuff things up. I once "bought" a top of the range laptop worth about £2000 for £50 & sure enough Toshiba were on the case within 12 hours with the E &OE clause. As a whole bunch of us had done it we asked citizen's advice and lawyer friends & were told we had a very slim chance of fighting it for the reasons outlined in the bbc article.

Its fair enough in my view, if the customer gets the protection of distance selling regulations including cooling off periods, retailers should have similar protection for clear errors. If the holiday had been for say £200 and they hadn't told you until January I think you might have a much better case.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
fatbob, Neilson's terms and conditions are hard to spot given the colour scheme used on their site but include:

If the price shown on the invoice is incorrect, compared to the applicable brochure price, this will be deemed a mistake, as a result of which we will be entitled to cancel the booking and re-invoice at the correct brochure price provided that we discover the mistake, and tell you about it, 14 days before departure. You will then have to pay the correct price to be allowed to go on your Holiday.

Which could be read as meaning they can rescind any discount because it would be incorrect compared to the brochure price!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Chappers wrote:
oh yeh ....that will £500 for that advice wink

That'll cover your tranfer to Flaine and give you change!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I would say you are on shaky ground.

Online pricing is a notoriously grey area, for which there are few legal precedents. An 'automatic' website confirmation does not necessarily guarantee acceptance of a contract. Read these links for further examples. Argos and Amazon have made similar pricing errors in the past:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/the_economy/441740.stm

http://www.wilson-nesbitt.com/services/business%7Ccommercial/e-commerce/contract_formation

If I were in your shoes, I would email a ski-friendly UK tabloid, like the Daily Mail, the Express, the Evening Standard or the Sunday Times, and get them to take up your case. A bit of public pressure often works wonders.

Good luck!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Basic law of contract can be varied by terms and conditions, all online sellers now ensure that the T&C covers mistakes.
Legally, not got a leg, having said that, hassling people can do wonders!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ill need it Richmond with the wife and two kids! Cool
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
it s all gone a bit LexisNexis here...
latest report
Hannah, Hard Luck! I got a trip to Andorra once for £99 h/b for a week and it was true! But £10 wouldn't even cover the cost of a sandwich in Sweden! Still the meanies should give you a special deal after getting your hopes up. Crying or Very sad
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy