Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Buying Ski Boots.

Poster: A snowHead
Just booked a week in la Plagne for last week of Jan or 1st week of Feb and am so tired of rental boots flapping about on the end of my legs (not convinced that they are my legs sometimes) that I'm looking to buy, so can anyone recommend a good boot fitter in South Wales or nearby - has anyone got some good recommendations.

Have seen there is someone in Swansea (level 1 on the bootfitters org) and that there is a Snow and Rock in Exeter (which i travel near to quite regularly). I really don't want someone with the gift of the gab but someone that can advise properly - think i have narrow feet. Or is there a good fitter in la Plagne? Will be driving out so could probably go to chamonix (is it solebootlab - there?) if necessary but would prefer to sort it before going really.

Any good advice will be greatly appreciated.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@swarmcatcher, It is Sole in Chamonix yes, and if that becomes the plan you will need to book an appointment to be sure...
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Gustavobs, just interested - how happy are you with them. Scale 1 ~10 - i'm guessing 8 and above. To be fair though, as it's your first personal fit, i wonder if you're 'expert' at assessing the fit. I ask because when i went to a notably place, i came away fairly satisfied and £500 lighter (2008) but when asked if i felt big improvements etc. with hand on heart, i truly couldn't, i skied and just got on with making turns, not really thinking/fussing about boot fit etc - those were a 102 width - kept with them for 5 years, trying different liners and booster straps to make the fit better and the boots to be reactive - but i should have given up quicker and got a new boot in the sales sooner. Nowaday's i squeeze myself into a 98 and a low volume version; really fussy about where i need a tight fit etc. but inevitably little stretches here and there are needed.

Skiing at Hemel on a Saturday probably isn't masses of skiing, rather a fair bit of waiting in lift queue's or can be. Feet will get cold though and any pinch points should show themselves.

It's a investment, i hope Profeet have made your feet happy... snowHead
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
under a new name wrote:
@nevis1003, >1,300 ski days so far, full time job and 60 ski days a year...

Nah, I’m not skiing...

Knob.

Really computer says different 14000 posts, no life, internet skier and knob, for super snowhead , read dickhead...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@nevis1003, you really don't know what you're talking about. @under a new name is definitely not just an 'internet skier'. Are you aware, by the way, that hundreds of people on this forum know one another in real life?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Hurtle, He also has an issue with@Dave of the Marmottes post count.

Looking more and more like a troll sock with every post.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
eBay is my friend Toofy Grin picked up a pair of these fer $200, they look and smell brand new apart from one tiny paint chip . . . Very comfortable and remarkably stiff . . . But soddin' heavy. The inner boot is usual snowboard boot weight and a bit taller than most but the exo-skeleton is the weight of a house-brick. Means I can play on the test skis at the eosb Toofy Grin

Retail near $1K Shocked

That'll be a first, hiring skis onna bash . . . But don't worry, my ability to fall off my snowboard in front of the knife & fork terrace will be maintained. Embarassed
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Rabbie wrote:
Looking to get boots as a Christmas present. Nearest place is Akain Baxter about 20 miles away. Does anyone have any eperience ofhow good a fitter he is?

Hi Rabbie

I'm a bit late on here.

Alain is great. I Go to him. Another ecomendation is The chap from EB in Glasgow (beard) and longer black salt n pepper hair.

Also Shona from Nevis in Glasgow or someone in Perth.

Back to A B . Just because someone is good at a sport doesn't mean they will be better than someone who has not been a sports person. However, some carry it forward into their new career and Alain is one of these.

I used to be a good footballer (I'll not go into why I never played pro) and the benefit of good kit for precise control is crucial.

Number 1 rule is forget brands and go for the perfect kit for you.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@GlasgowCyclops, Thanks for your reply. I have been to see him and am now waiting for his new stock to come in. He was really helpful and appreciated what I really wanted. Have had feet measured and he will contact me when the boots come in.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hurtle wrote:
@nevis1003, you really don't know what you're talking about. @under a new name is definitely not just an 'internet skier'. Are you aware, by the way, that hundreds of people on this forum know one another in real life?

Really, 18000 posts how do you have time to get out the house? Knob.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Can we do a crowd funding for a bash next year. Mental Mickey, Stantroll and nevis1003 in the same room would be a right laugh. Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@nevis1003, play the ball, laddie, not the man. I suspect you are spotty, 14 years old and still wondering what a ladies front bottom looks like.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thornyhill wrote:
Can we do a crowd funding for a bash next year. Mental Mickey, Stantroll and nevis1003 in the same room would be a right laugh. Laughing Laughing

You think they can find their way to an airport? And then there is security to negotiate...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Rabbie wrote:
@GlasgowCyclops, Thanks for your reply. I have been to see him and am now waiting for his new stock to come in. He was really helpful and appreciated what I really wanted. Have had feet measured and he will contact me when the boots come in.

did he say when the stock would be in? to you think it worth the hour drive to get feet measured before stock arrives or just wait for stock to arrive, bear in mind busy life so 1 more day in shop = 1 less day on slope.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
under a new name wrote:
@nevis1003, play the ball, laddie, not the man. I suspect you are spotty, 14 years old and still wondering what a ladies front bottom looks like.
There's no doubt you'll know, 15000 posts, internet weirdo...
latest report
@nevis1003, I don't get much of a chance to post myself....
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:

No mirrors in his house then?
ski holidays
@Scarpa, titter ...
latest report
Scarpa wrote:
under a new name wrote:

No mirrors in his house then?

Your not much better, get a life....20,000 posts you obviously have a very envious social life.
snow report
@nevis1003 are you still going? You need to cut down on the Haribo lad all those e numbers are bad for you
latest report
Oi !!!! @Scarpa, I've got 7x less posts than you so on the "Nevis Scale" I'm 7x better than you at skiing.

Mind you, that makes @dp, 3x better than me and we all know that is sh1te because he can't even get out the cafe before he sets off his AviBag. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
dp wrote:
@nevis1003 are you still going? You need to cut down on the Haribo lad all those e numbers are bad for you

You're Be Nice please! hilarious , don't give up the day job....
latest report
@GlasgowCyclops, Laughing
ski holidays
GlasgowCyclops wrote:

Mind you, that makes @dp, 3x better than me and we all know that is sh1te because he can't even get out the cafe before he sets off his AviBag.

The air in the cylinders was weighing me down. Had to let it out to get maximum performance.

Also by my calculation, my post count is only a bit over a quarter of yours... so I'm more like 4x better.

It's when you get to 4x better that the weight of the airbag gas really makes a difference.
ski holidays
@dp, so if you're therefore twice as good as me... does that make me 1/2 as bad as you? Puzzled Toofy Grin
ski holidays
dp wrote:
GlasgowCyclops wrote:

Mind you, that makes @dp, 3x better than me and we all know that is sh1te because he can't even get out the cafe before he sets off his AviBag.

The air in the cylinders was weighing me down. Had to let it out to get maximum performance.

Also by my calculation, my post count is only a bit over a quarter of yours... so I'm more like 4x better.

It's when you get to 4x better that the weight of the airbag gas really makes a difference.
I must be Olympic standard then! Laughing Laughing Laughing snowHead
ski holidays
What happens when everyone "Ignores" a poster? Do they find out? Or is it a bit of one handed forest clap?
ski holidays
@under a new name, the latter
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Would be nice if there was an "ignored by" counter next to there name... though some would see it as a challenge.

Is it my imagination or has this thread just been un-stuck?
ski holidays
Booger I must have stopped skiing then Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
adithorp wrote:

Is it my imagination or has this thread just been un-stuck?

Was it a sticky? I thought I might have accidentally made it a sticky (I've done that a few times recently as I'm currently using a phone to access the internet and I've clearly got fat fingers) so removed the stickiness I had thought I might have added. I'll put the stickiness back on although it would be good to see the thread get back on-topic.
ski holidays
Jonny996 wrote:
Rabbie wrote:

did he say when the stock would be in? to you think it worth the hour drive to get feet measured before stock arrives or just wait for stock to arrive, bear in mind busy life so 1 more day in shop = 1 less day on slope.
the stock should be in soon. It was not a special journey as we had some other shopping to do in Stirling so I could leave that to Mrs Rabbie.
latest report
Insider information on Snow and Rock bootfitters, some of which may be known to fellow SHs. So...on the one hand we have A- an experienced ski instructor with 6 seasons (northern and Southern Hemisphere under her belt). She isn't instructing this forthcoming season and instead is taking a 2-3 month skiing road trip in North America from the end of January. Got a job at S&R and has done their boot fitting course. Now working up in Newcastle. She clearly knows what she is talking about. I would trust her as capable, even if she's not done the job for that long.

However, also on the course and now fitting boots are employees who have never even been skiing....

Shocked
I suppose I shouldn't be surprised...but it really is just pot luck if you go to get fitted somewhere like S&R.
snow report
adithorp wrote:
@dp, so if you're therefore twice as good as me... does that make me 1/2 as bad as you? Puzzled Toofy Grin

No if I'm twice as good as you, then you're twice as bad as me. That's just obvious

And we knew that anyway...
snow report
@dp, Hmmm, I'm starting to see the flaw in this (post count)argument. It's nearly as big as the one in the "just buy one that feels right in the shop and then exchange them if the colour doesnt match your skis" one.

So to get back on subject...
I had a great experience at Rivington Alpine with Graham a couple of weeks ago. Very helpful, knowledgeable and skilled. Unfortunatly K2 have kind of let the team down a bit; The actual boot/size I need/want isn't in stock... or in the country and they didn't follow it up to get them. Fingers crossed they're winging their way to Graham today and I get a last minute fitting before the PSB. It's going to be tight and fingers crossed but I'd rather do another trip with my old boots than have th wrong ones snowHead
snow report
if you really fancy a particular pair of boots but your in between sizes, for instance if your mondial size is 28 but the boots are only available in 27.5 or 28.5 which would you choose.
latest report
@compostcorner, if you’d been reading your boot threads you would know that half sizes don’t have different shell sizes, there’s just an additional insole.

And that it’s usually easy to increase volume, but usually difficult to reduce it.

Somalways err on smaller, assuming they are actually big enough for foot length.

Anyway, your boot fitter will tell you what to do.
snow conditions
@compostcorner, I'd always choose boots because they if, not because I fancy them wink
latest report
@compostcorner try both and choose the pair that fit better?

come on not being a dick about it but that's how you choose shoes isn't it?
ski holidays
My new boots arrived at Rivington Alpine at 4 yesterday afternoon. Big thanks to Graham for staying late last night to make sure I had them for pre season bash tomorrow. snowHead
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy