Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Buying Ski Boots.

Poster: A snowHead
So using my finest keyboard skiing skills I just spend a couple of minutes on a retrospective of some of Decathlon boy's past trolls.

Some fine descriptors in there by otherwise mild mannered forum members: tip use the search term "aggressive douche-canoe"
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Layne wrote:
nevis1003 wrote:
Thats why I prefer to buy boots at Decathlon, it is great to be able to take them back for up to 12 months

Just to explore this a bit more....

Here is Decathlons Return Policy

It states:
Quote:

we allow up to 365 days to return your items in the 2 following cases:
- unwanted goods: unused and in their original packaging
- if the product in use is not satisfactory for the intended sport practice

First one I'm not sure helps anyone here. Perhaps you take your boots home, watch the telly with them or walk around the house and then decide they are more uncomfortable than you thought or the wrong size. Wouldn't any shop take them back in those circumstances?

The second one - how is that defined or adjudicated? So I buy some boots, wear them for a couple of weeks on the slopes. They hurt like hell, so I take them back. And they refund you? Really?

Actually when you read on...
Quote:
Based on their assessment (condition of the product and length/frequency of use), our Decathlon team retains the right to accept or refuse the return, and in the case of a return, will choose the adapted solution (repair, exchange, partial or full refund).

Mmmm... sounds to me like you wouldn't get a full refund at all. But maybe someone has done just that...?

Just one other thing to note is that it is for "Decathlon card holders". Now as far as I know the card is free and easy to register for. But perhaps something that might catch a few people out.

I've taken 2 pairs back, bought 1 pair in the UK returned them in France, staff didn't ask why, bought another pair in France and took them back , both pairs after 2-3 weeks use. Wasn't asked the reason either time, which was to do with buying different skis. I do buy a lot there as I am a climbing instructor, and also canoe, the staff never even look at what you are taking back it goes straight in a large box full of returns. Good point about the card.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
So using my finest keyboard skiing skills I just spend a couple of minutes on a retrospective of some of Decathlon boy's past trolls.

Some fine descriptors in there by otherwise mild mannered forum members: tip use the search term "aggressive douche-canoe"

How sad, anybody with the number of posts you have is obviously in need of a life....surely you can't have posted 20,000 times? Do you actually go skiing?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
nevis1003 wrote:

I've taken 2 pairs back, bought 1 pair in the UK returned them in France, staff didn't ask why, bought another pair in France and took them back , both pairs after 2-3 weeks use. Wasn't asked the reason either time, which was to do with buying different skis. I do buy a lot there as I am a climbing instructor, and also canoe, the staff never even look at what you are taking back it goes straight in a large box full of returns. Good point about the card.

Am I understanding correctly that there was nothing wrong with the boots themselves, or their fit, just your requirements for what you wanted from a pair of boots had changed? They'd really do that? That's very accommodating of Decathlon if true.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Tubaski wrote:
nevis1003 wrote:

Am I understanding correctly that there was nothing wrong with the boots themselves, or their fit, just your requirements for what you wanted from a pair of boots had changed? They'd really do that? That's very accommodating of Decathlon if true.

Also don't get this, you took boots back because you bought different skis??
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
endoman wrote:
Also don't get this, you took boots back because you bought different skis??

I think he means he's an entitled git that will take the pi55 at every opportunity rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@nevis1003, so your posts are a little contradictory, you say someone should be able to articulate and work out if a boot fits in previous posts, then state that you've returned boots twice? Did you not realise they didn't fit when you bought them?

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 12-10-17 21:58; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Wow, who'd have thought a thread about fitting boots could run to 18 pages. Anyone for popcorn? Be far less effort for all involved if you could just agree to disagree (but far less entertaining for us onlookers). Laughing I won't bore you by saying how I bought my boots; which fit like a glove and are really comfy; cos what ever I'd say, someone would shoot me down in flames. Seconds out, round 19? Very Happy
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Awdbugga, just wait for the helmet threads. You ain't seen nothing yet!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ansta1 wrote:
@nevis1003, so you're posts are a little contradictory, you say someone should be able to articulate and work out if a boot fits in previous posts, then state that you've returned boots twice? Did you not realise they didn't fit when you bought them?

nice work....
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Tubaski, thanks for the heads up (no pun intended). I'll give that one a miss.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Awdbugga wrote:
Wow, who'd have thought a thread about fitting boots could run to 18 pages.

Me and many other snowHeads snowHead
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Awdbugga wrote:

To be fair, I think it is a process that is really important to getting your skiing right, yet too many people fall foul of through urban myths, dodgy salesman and poor information.

If the cost of getting people decent fitting boots is 18 pages of discussion then that's a good deal in my books.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
dp wrote:
Awdbugga wrote:

To be fair, I think it is a process that is really important to getting your skiing right, yet too many people fall foul of through urban myths, dodgy salesman and poor information.

If the cost of getting people decent fitting boots is 18 pages of discussion then that's a good deal in my books.

Glad we agree at last....and the Decathlon guarantee is good I was surprised they took the boots back with no questions asked, although my experience since is they don't check anything taken back, they're so big they don't care.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
nevis1003 wrote:

Glad we agree at last

I wouldn't go that far.
latest report
@nevis1003, still begs the question of how you screwed up twice in no time at all.

You won’t be giving me any boot advice!
latest report
Hmm I sense an opportunity to move on may have been missed.

Anyway, back to flex for a sec...

dp wrote:
Penry wrote:
endoman wrote:
http://www.powder.com/gear-locker/know-buying-new-boots/

many thanks for that. It was interesting to read about flex not being such a big issue as far as he was concerned. My boot fitter had said the same but a number of comments on the site about how important it was for flex rating to be higher for taller/heavier skiers brought some doubt, now happily dispelled.

For balance:

I'm tall and heavy. I was in a 110 Flex boot and moved to a 130 Flex in the same model of boot. Same size etc. So fits exactly the same, just stiffer.

It's made so much difference. My boots used to collapse under my weight and I'd be using leg strength to stay upright because the boots couldn't support me fully. The 130s support me fully and all my weight goes into bending the ski - I turn faster and get more grip in my turns.

I 100% disagree that flex isn't an issue. Think about it. The boot interfaces your leg with the ski. You push forward, and the boot converts this into a downward pressure into the ski, bending and thus turning it. If the boot collapses because it's too flexible for the weight being pushed through it, the weight which was meant to be getting sent to the ski is actually just being lost in your body because your movement is being limited by the ROM of your ankle not be the stiffness of the boot.

Bodies come in different sizes and weights. Flex is one main area where one design of boot can be made to fit different people and styles.

I get that there is a difference between boots of different flex, otherwise there'd be no point. I am though surprised that 110 to 130 is the difference between unusable and ideal as I was given to understand that the difference between 110 and 120 was immaterial in my case. And of course both these can be true, one man's terrorist is another's freedom fighter and all that.
snow conditions
@Penry perhaps they're not ideal (although I'm very happy with them), but they are now useable. The 110s were just not.

Bear in mind that the flex rating is not necessarily proportionate or linear, and changes from manufacturer to manufacturer. In mind for instance, the boot is stiffer but they also use a stiffer liner. The fitter in the shop said that the 130 model is more than 20% stiffer than the 110, despite the name suggesting it would be.
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
@nevis1003, still begs the question of how you screwed up twice in no time at all.

You won't be needing it, 14000 posts, I know what you do in your spare time, it's not skiing....
latest report
nevis1003 wrote:
under a new name wrote:

You won't be needing it, 14000 posts, I know what you do in your spare time, it's not skiing....

Whilst that may be true, you have avoided the question. If you know so well what makes a boot fit, why did you have to take 2 pairs back?

#interestedtoknow
snow conditions
@nevis1003, >1,300 ski days so far, full time job and 60 ski days a year...

Nah, I’m not skiing...

Knob.
ski holidays
@nevis1003 according to you, everyone who uses the forum is automatically a 'keyboard skier' because they use the forum

If you're so disapproving of posting on the forum... why are you here?

Quote:
Knob.
snow report
has anyone had boots fitted at gloucester ski slope, its reasonably near me along with snow and rock and ellis brigham
snow report
@dp, Twisted Evil
ski holidays
Looking to get boots as a Christmas present. Nearest place is Akain Baxter about 20 miles away. Does anyone have any eperience ofhow good a fitter he is?
snow conditions
@Rabbie, I haven't done a search, but I do remember good reports of him on the forum.
ski holidays
@Hurtle, Thanks.
latest report
Yes..I think CEM rates him
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just don't offer him a Sinex!
ski holidays
ansta1 wrote:
nevis1003 wrote:
under a new name wrote:

Whilst that may be true, you have avoided the question. If you know so well what makes a boot fit, why did you have to take 2 pairs back?

#interestedtoknow

Still not responded, are you taking your 3rd pair back?
ski holidays
ansta1 wrote:
ansta1 wrote:
nevis1003 wrote:
under a new name wrote:

#interestedtoknow

Still not responded, are you taking your 3rd pair back?

Perhaps he read my signature
snow report
@Rabbie, don't have personal experience but have heard good reports about him from several people.
ski holidays
@dp, he has answered that question... Because he bought new skis. I just want to know why new skis require different boots? Maybe the colour didn't match Puzzled
ski holidays
@adithorp if that is the case he can get off his soapbox anyway. You don't buy new skis - leading you to need new boots - and then return your old boots (which presumably were fine just not suited to the new bindings) as being faulty for a refund / exchange. That's just dishonest.

I've heard of getting a 'bag for life' from the supermarket, but 'ski boots for life' - replacing them for free when you want a change - seems an unsustainable concept.
snow conditions
dp wrote:
@adithorp if that is the case he can get off his soapbox anyway. You don't buy new skis - leading you to need new boots - and then return your old boots (which presumably were fine just not suited to the new bindings) as being faulty for a refund / exchange. That's just dishonest.

I've heard of getting a 'bag for life' from the supermarket, but 'ski boots for life' - replacing them for free when you want a change - seems an unsustainable concept.

you would be amazed what people seem to think is acceptable these days
ski holidays
compostcorner wrote:
has anyone had boots fitted at gloucester ski slope, its reasonably near me along with snow and rock and ellis brigham

I'd also be interested in the answer to this. Their shop seemed reasonably well set up and I'm probably going to get my skis serviced there. Have you had a play on the dry slope there?
snow conditions
@dp, maybe the colour didn't match...
snow conditions
I know I am in the hands of a good boot fitter when they assess my feet and they tell me where my pain is arising from and why before I open my mouth. This has happened to me twice in nearly 40 years of skiing. Once at Snow and Rock and very recently with CEM. OK my feet and legs are not my better features from a skiing perspective having nearly flat arches and tight achilles tendons which roll my feet inwards and increase pressure and thus pain on the outside of the foot. The chap at Snow and Rock many years ago identified this and resolved it with personalised footbeds which gave me many years of comfortable skiing. When those boots "died" I bought new ones from an apparently well thought of relatively local shop but this was a complete mistake having been persuaded by the shop proprietor that the boots she was selling me with heat moulded inners would be perfect but without personalised foot beds which she said I didnt need. It goes without saying they werent and several years of uncomfortable skiing have ensued. Looking now towards a "big" birthday and thinking in term of my last pair of ski boots ever I went to Bicester (no small distance from mid Cornwall) and was immediately met with the same comment I had received in S&R so many years ago. Help was at hand and CEM sorted out what seem to be an appropriate pair of boots (I am sure they will prove to be so), heat treated liners and new foot beds plus instructions on what exercises I should do to try and improve my feet and legs so as to relieve my anatomically led stance issues. So, 40 years of skiing and almost certainly only my 2nd pair of boots appropriate to my own needs and requirements. What a lot of money I have spent over the years not fully enjoying myself because my boots hurt. I cant encourage people too much to go to an expert and get the right gear first time, you may need some minor adjustments but what you will get back in return will be immeasurable in terms of comfort and enhanced pleasure in your skiing days out. A good pair of boots costing say £500 (including fitting) will last perhaps 20 plus weeks (OK for the tight amongst us maybe many more) a weeks skiing costs circa £1000 these days, do the maths - comfort and joy - no price!
snow report
Went to Profeet recently and got a my first pair of ski boots. Pretty good service and got very important feedback about my foot mechanics. It’s still early to say it was a great decision but to be honest, it wasn’t much more than I would spend in any shop for a new boot. The big money gap comes from comparing to new but old season ones that usually are not available in those specialists.

Tomorrow going to Hemel to try them out!
snow report
Looks like I am getting boots for Christmas so thanks for confirming Alain Baxter is a good bet . I have always been lucky with hire boots so y feet are not too difficult to fit.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy