Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Buying Ski Boots.

Poster: A snowHead
mapsal, welcome to snowHead's

when it comes to boots ignor the marketing phrases, freeride, race etc these are so the company can target the boot an an audience..often the same shell will appear in different categories which different graphics on and the odd adjustment in features..... concentrate on fit, the mynx is a great boot if the fit is right for your foot, when you say they fit brilliantly what do you mean, if they feel really nice and comfy in the store they are probably a size too big, the boot needs to feel really snug somethimes verging on uncomfortable dependant on the fit....the liners will pack down and the boot will become looser after a week of skiing, so bare that in mind when you buy. there are numberous bits on here about how a boot should fit but the most impoertant bit is the shell check, there wants to be between 10 and 20mm behind your heel when your foot is in the empty shell and the toes are just touching the front 10mm will be very tight but in most cases can be made to fit, 20 will still feel tight at first but will loosen off pretty quickly, much more than that and you will be swimming in them after a few weeks.

another hing to consider is a good fitter should be able to adjust the flex of a boot for you if this is required, making a boot softer or stiffer is not difficult if the fitter has the right tools and experience.

good luck
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
CEM, Thanks for your help. Boots are ‘Lange’, made specifically for women...lower cuff etc., flex 75. I tried to contact Lange to find out for sure what the differences were, no email contact on their site, so have written to them, but a supplier in the states told me the 24 is the same width as the 23.5 but does measure a different length in mm. (if this is so, it doesn’t quite follow the norm then). The liner inside the 23.5 boots does say 23 - 23.5. So it would seem that this does back up the fact that liners are certainly not made in ½ sizes. I understood that the 23.5 represented the 235mm length of the barefoot it is designed to fit, as this is actually just under what my foot measures in length, therefore a 24 would be 240 mm? It is worrying to think that a size label on a boot may not represent the actual length; this makes selecting difficult, and that’s before you’ve started trying them on for width etc! ....

I have just been recalled to the shop (grinding tool is not going to arrive for some weeks...and it seems heating was discounted as it could affect the shape of protrusion that locks into the binding...don’t know the technical term). Thanks again for your input, so much appreciated...will report back soon. - Update - foot measures 24 this time...none to choose from...waiting for refund!

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 28-04-09 16:42; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for the information; the shop (Blues) are holding the Mynx 23.5 boots for me at the moment as they are getting some new Head boots in next week which might suit my feet. I suspect the 23.5 are a bit too comfortable...I will do as you advise and check my feet in the shell.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
mapsal, blues are pretty good as shops go so you should be ok, i would still check the shell and do not fall into just going to the 23.0 it needs to be 22.5 to be smaller
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
CEM, How do you source a manufacturer that produces a narrow last? My foot at the widest part measures only 88.8 mm, if I knew which manufacturers catered for this width of foot, in a women's specific boot, soft flex, I could narrow down where to find them. Do any spring to mind? Puzzled
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
sharon1953, 88.8 is wide if you are a size 22 but ultra narrow if you are a size 25.... assuming you are soemwhere in between these then there should be a boot to suit.... most if not all the major brands make boots in various widths, it is a case of finding the one which matches your foot best...as for flex this is where the problems can start, most [not all] of the "narrow" boots are at the upper end of performance and even into race spec but that is not to say there isn't one that will work...with the correct tools and knowledge boots can be made softer or stiffer to suit the individual
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
CEM, I'm a mondo 24. It seems then that there is an assumption that anyone wanting a narrow width boot does so because they are racers/top end skiers; rather than a recreational skier with a narrowish foot! (a very odd assumption to make if that is the case). Am I right in thinking that entry level boots not only have a softer flex, but are also made of softer plastics ? Would I have more choice abroad than in the UK?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sharon1953, For the record, we stock 7 boots appropriate for the width of foot you have, if indeed this is the case given the size you state without lumps and bumps on your feet. Those boots have flex ratings of 80 - 150kn. So there are definately boots to fit your foot and flex pattern. We find that most feet and skiers are best edging towards a stiffer boot than maybe marketed at them as ankle flex in itself is a massive issue, having a soft boot without the required ROM is a major problem.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sharon1953, pretty much the same choice in the uk with the exception of prehaps dalbello, often the assumption that you make about the high performance is the assumption people make, because there are more boots at that level than there are at lower level. as stve has said a soft boot may not be the way to go, you need a boot fitter not a boot seller or a shop with loads of models
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
CEM, Haha, that's awesome, I'm Stve for the Scotts and Steeve for the French, making me Steve in England, perfect, now i understand. In Norway i am SVE and in Spain, Steeeve.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
CEM, so when are you setting up a mobile service? wink
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
sharon1953, not likely... however i have read back over the issues you are having and can only think that there is something weird going on ...i can assure you that the lange boots are all sizes 23/23.5, 24/24.5 there is no width difference between the 24and the 24.5 etc the difference is the footbed and nothing else, not sure where the info that says the 23.5 and 24 are the same lenght came from but it is WRONG

if there is just a small amout of space needed have you tried a heel lift? do you always stay in the front of your boots when skiing or are you being thown into the back seat?

something just isn't adding up with this, you probably need to go and spend some time with the original fitter and see what they can do to work this out
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi - I wonder if anyone can help me. I have a feeling that I am going to have to hang up my ski boots and invest in a new pair, but i am scared, very scared. I currently own a pair of very well used Rossi Saphir STs, bought around 5 years ago after deciding that skiing was the best thing since sliced bread after about four weeks' skiing. I have never had a day's worth of pain from then, other than the normal, getting used tot he fit and adjusting the buckles til they were comfortable for a whole day's ski. Apart from now. By the end of a week's skiing the buckles are done up virtually as tight as I can stand then (and as far as they will go on their current setting) without cutting off my circulation adn this still seems too loose.

Obviously in 5 years, I got a bit better at skiing (I hope!); I'm now attempting more challenging terrain, - now more reds and blacks than blues and reds plus some off piste; and the liners have probably bedded down too much - I've skiied them for around 16-18 weeks in total. I've never had custom footbeds made - never felt I needed them - although this season I have had foot pain after a week's skiing that feels something like tendonitis and can be quite painful - but I don't get it until after I've been home a few days.

So I'm resigned to the fact that I probably need new boots, but having had such a good experience with this pair, I don't want to throw these out only to buy a pair that is crippling. Any recommendations on what boots I should be looking at or who to go to, will a new set of liners do the trick or do I need a firmer boot now? I'm in South London.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sarep, You may be able to get, if your shells are still good and the correct sze for you, custom liners which may make these boots better than ever. CEM (the guy in the post above yours is a good man to see about this sort of thing follow the link at the bottom of his post). I had a boot that was too large and the liners packed fast this resulted in foot pain no matter what I did with the buckels, I think it was cause my foot was trying to grip in too big a boot. I got the right size and it was much better (sounds obvious but I'm not the first person to buy too big). The Zipfit custom liners are reported to out last shells and can be transfered from one shell to another. Again CEM could advise if these are right for you or if a different type of liner would suit you better.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
sarep, Go to Surefoot in Fulham and get customised liners and beds. Pay the money, cheaper than wasted ski holidays.
ski holidays
sarep, Another big recommendation for CEM at www.solutions4feet.co.uk in Bicester. Very Happy
ski holidays
Hi everyone,
I'm hoping someone can give me some advice please Very Happy
I'm quite new to skiing and looking to buy my first boots. I've been fitted at Ellis Brigham in Tamworth and i'm apparently at the top end of a 22.
Tried those and a 23 and can't really tell much difference between them! The sales assistant said a 23 would still be fine, just a bit more comfortable. I'm just worried that once they've packed out a bit they might be too big...would it be better to go for the 22?
I'll be the first to admit i know nothing about ski boots so any advice would be great Very Happy
Thanks!
snow report
renni, renni, renni,

Quote:

I'm just worried that once they've packed out a bit they might be too big

And rightly so this WILL happen. There is a cm difference in the shell of these boots. Run, run very fast.

Did the "boot fitter" shell check both sizes how much space did you have.

I can make this very easy for you go to
www.solutions4feet.co.uk

Look at the testamonials they get on this forum.

If I had found this bootfitter first I would have saved a lot of time and money and skied better earlier.
The owner Colin (AKA CEM) is also a podiatrist so if you have any weird foot problems he can deal with it. He also makes superfootbeds.
He wont sell you stuff you dont need either. I wanted to buy one of everything he had in stock and he wouldnt sell it to me cause I didnt need it.

I had my feet wrongly measured at a shop in the Tamworth area was told the same crap you were and they packed out. I brought them back got 70% refund which is rubbish really as the boots were not fitted in the manner the same shops catalogue says they should be. I didn't put up a fight as my ski trip was the next day and I needed to get the last pair of that boot in my correct size. They did a shell check but I still had over an inch of space (in the original boot). When you try on a boot you are trying on the liner they all feel tight when new,
I was measured at the top end of a 26 and got 27.5 boots first now in 26 I probably have enough shell fit that I could go 25 but it would be tight!

Quote:

I'll be the first to admit i know nothing about ski boots so any advice would be great

I didnt either but I learned quite a bit the slow expensive way. Dont make the same mistake.
ski holidays
RPF, thanks for your help. I'll definitely get a second opinion before buying now.
They did shell check both sizes, but i can't remember how much space was left.

Bicester is a bit further than i wanted to go but it sounds like a trip down there would be well worth it to get the right boots.
Thanks again!
snow conditions
renni, its worth the trip he works by appointment so call before you go wink
latest report
Get Full Tilts! Very Happy
ski holidays
stumpy wrote:
Get Full Tilts! Very Happy

intersting early post,

can't disagree the full tilt boot is a pretty good boot IF it fits your foot wink
snow conditions
FAO helpful bootfitter people:

Any advice on how I can put my footbeds into my new boots? The damn things don't bend at all. I have cut them down to (hopefully) the right length, but putting them inside the boots is proving rather tricky. I guess it's because the boots are new and stiff that I can't seem to open them enough to get the footbeds in, it's hard enough getting feet in but at least they bend!
ski holidays
queen bodecia, pull the liners out first then pop the footbeds in the liner than put liner back in boot. Its a bit of a work out too but easier than getting footbed into liner and shell wink

Dont forget to take out the original insole that came with boot wink
snow conditions
queen bodecia, Following up to RPF, you can use the old insoles as a template when you are cutting down the new ones.
snow conditions
seems like the question is answered, one thing to do when you cut the inslole is make sure it is not jammed tight into the liner, it wants to have jsut a mm or 2 of play...not so much that your toes hang over the end, but if it is jammed into the liner it will affect the way the boot fits

trim little by little, you can always cut more off, putting it back on is not so easy wink
snow report
Thanks folks. I did try and take the liners out but had no success with that either. Is there a knack to it or simply brute force (which I have very little of)?
snow conditions
Quote:

or simply brute force

Sort of. I find this works. Pull the tongue forward as much as you can. Push your hand down the back of the liner as far as you can. Hold the liner tightly and pull up and forward until the heel comes free and then it will come out easily. Then putting it back is fun too.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
queen bodecia, if i remember correctly you are in a pair of salomon idol??? place the boot on the floor in front of youwith the toes facing away, knee on the floor behind the boot, put one hand on the top of the shell (at the back) to hold the boot down, grip the top of the liner with the other hand and push the liner away from you, lifting slightly as you go, the liner should 9with a little effort) come straight out

sorry Colin B but pulling the tongue forward on that boot will get it tied up in the plastic overlap of the shell and damage the liner!

lesson 2 putting the liner back in

turn the boot around so the toes are pointing towards you, make sure the tongue of the liner is neatly inside the liner, ie as it would be when on your foot.. not twisted , point the toes of the liner into the upper of the boot and ease it round the corner a little...now the tricky bit..grab the back of the liner as low as you can on the back of it, form a slight Z shape, yes the lienr will crease side to side a bit, then slowly push the liner down...remember to take you hand out before it goes all the way down or you will ens up with boot fitters knuckle, as soon as the liner starts to go round the corner you should be able to take your hands off it and push down on the very top of the liner and it will fall into place

the Idol is one of the easier ones to do, it just takes a little practice Little Angel
snow report
Thanks CEM, will give that method a whirl. And yes, you got the boots right (memory like an elephant!).
snow report
queen bodecia, more like a sieve
snow report
CEM, Will that general method work for most boots? I fight like fury with mine, and these days rely on the boot drier as an excuse not to take the liners out if I think its got them dry.
ski holidays
CEM, I think I got confused myself between putting them on and taking the liners out Embarassed

I think my method is a variant of yours but then I only do it a few times a year, not daily.
snow report
Megamum wrote:
CEM, Will that general method work for most boots? I fight like fury with mine, and these days rely on the boot drier as an excuse not to take the liners out if I think its got them dry.

Sometimes, with mine anyway, there will still be water underneath the liner bottom, even with using boot driers, water seems to get trapped. The only fix seems to be to dry boot and liner separately once a week.
ski holidays
Megamum, should work on most boots
ski holidays
snowbunny, Better to dry them separately every night. Make it a habit. Keeps your feet warmer in the day, and makes getting into the boots easier.
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
Being re-written.

What happened to the very useful opening post?
latest report
CEM yes on MOST of boots, but not all Smile On my (Fischer RC4 World Cup Pro) there's only one chance for putting liners back... put liners on foot while out of shell, and then put foot with liners (liners not tied) into the shell. Then with a bit effort, foot gets out, while liners stay in Smile There's no way to put liners in the way you described. On the other side, your procedure works perfectly fine on my working boot (Fischer RC4 Soma Worldcup), and on pretty much any other non-racing boot I ever had.
snow conditions
primoz, yep and 99% of the people on here are in boots where it does work wink
latest report
CEM, Dude, I reckon more than 1% of people on here still ski in their old rear entry boots.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy