Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Should we consider Andorra?

Poster: A snowHead
Tell me all you know about the place.

Ive never realy consisdered it as a destination, but should I?

Reasons for and against.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Been to Soldeu twice, in 2003 and 2004
For:
A very friendly place which still manages to feel like a village.
The skiing is fun, the ski area is large now that Pas and Soldeu share a common lift pass and there is a good coverage of snow cannon.
The ski school has a good reputation (though I didn't use it).
The drinks are cheaper than other mountain resorts but not bargain-basement and the measures are good.
There are some really quite comfortable hotels.
Against:
Long transfers from either Girona or Toulouse
Not much/any "demanding" skiing (if that is what you want).

I expect rob and sharon will be along soon to agree with me!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Spent a week in Pas de la Casa years ago. Great place, good easy/intermediate skiing. Bars and restaurants are reasonably priced (not cheap, nowhere is these days) and its had a good snow record in recent years. The downside is that its a bit of a trek to get to from the airport. Most TOs seems to use Toulouse which can be 4hrs away. I guess Lourdes or Tarbres or Girona might be nearer
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Apart from the long transfer to Soldeu, the only downside I found was that there were a lot of beginners so some of the slopes were carnage.

Of course, if you're a reasonable skier (it was my first week skiing for 10 years and only my second week in total) you'll be able to choose the slopes that the beginners aren't on.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Renry, ok, we've been 3 times in 3 years, always in a group of 6-10, in late Jan and Early Feb

Great place to learn (most of us have learnt there and yet still go back)

Spoke to the Andorra reps at the Birmingham show and they said there is a new fast 4 man lift up the mountain this year and they’ve done some work on some of the black slopes too.

Really depends on what you are looking for, there are a few good bars, and the drinks are cheap.
Slopes are ok and the higher and further you go from ski school, the better some get as they are less crowded
People are friendly.
Only real downside is the transfer time 3-4 hours

check out this as it gives the 3 trips we've done
http://www.geocities.com/daggers_jones/ski2006/index.html
http://www.geocities.com/daggers_jones/skiing2005/skiing2005.html
http://www.geocities.com/daggers_jones/skiing2004/skiing2004.html

PS (Nick L, we are here snowHead )
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Have to agree, there are very few negatives. The transfer time is probably the only one of note. There is a huge area and good snow. There is some stuff for advanced and more adventurous skiers, but that's not really the appeal of the area.

Here's my trip report from last Christmas.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
great place - have skiied soldeu/el tartar / pas for the last 4 years. tour operator transfer from toulouse can be a nightmare, as can toulouse airport on the way back - the french customs/security guards are a bit heavy handed, leading to massive queues in the airport -

consider girona airport and hiring a car, we did it independantly last year and worked out fine. only problem i can see wtih doing it yourself is if its tipping down with snow - might make the drive a bit hairy!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've been to Pas/ Soldeu 3 times now and have really enjoyed it, although am now wanting to go elsewhere to see something different. The transfers can be a bit long but after the trouble that we had getting there last year 3 hours would be considered a quick trip.

We were supposed to fly into Girona but the roads out of Andorra were all blocked on the Spanish side due to avalanches so the buses from the previous weeks trip had to head to Tolouse and our plane got diverted there to get the bus back into Andorra. However, by the time we landed in France the roads on that side of Andorra were all blocked so we had to wait for several hours in the carpark before they figured out how to get us to resort. They had then managed to clear the roads in from the Spanish side but by now all of the bus drivers had been on shift since the early hours of the morning and they had to get permission from the French police before they could start again. After then driving the long way round the Pyrenees to get back into Andorra from the Spanish side we eventually got to the hotels at about 4am when we should have been there at 3pm the previous day.

I was still up and skiing for shortly after 9am that morning though, but I did take large amounts of coffee in with the breakfast.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Spideog wrote:

I was still up and skiing for shortly after 9am that morning though, but I did take large amounts of coffee in with the breakfast.

sounds about right.
This year we were delayed at the airport and then had to come via Spain.
total transfer time was something like 8 hours, but still got to the 9 am lessons snowHead

but appart form that it was a great week and the snow was fab
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just a quick thought - if you're arranging your own transport, surely Perpignan is the easiest airport? Can't be much more than two hours from Pas De La Casa. I drove there from Font Romeu last year and t was a very easy drive. A bit slow at the border on the way back, though.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm next year and I can't wait.

Primary reason for going there is because it is a great place for building confidence (so I'm told) and that is exactly what Mrs K needs right now, plus it will help my technique as well.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Am in the process of considering this place for a week early Jan. I'm a good/advanced intermediate (S & R scale) on-piste and SO a beginner. We like to party a bit and I dare say the SO will want to spend some time off the slopes. May well have a some 14-19 year olds in tow, who'll want a bit of fun also.

Sound like it's achievable?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We're going there as a group in Feb - it was meant to be Courcheval but turned into Andorra due to one of the group making a command decision. It sounds like it's not a bad choice given the comments above - I am flying to Barcelona, the others to Girona.

snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mark Hunter, Pas has the reputation for night-life, but I can't comment having not been there. But, Soldeu I would say definitely holds its own (especially for somewhere fairly compact). As an advanced intermediate it should be fine - lots of good terrain to carve down, and some (but not a lot it has to be said) advanced stuff to have a go at. It should be perfect for your SO as the ski school is fantastic and has one of the best reputations around. There's also a very plush spa/wellness centre which is part of the Sport Hotel group's set-up. What would the 14-19 year olds 'fun' be - there's plenty of bars and the like and internet cafe amongst other things - but being, as I say, fairly compact there's not all that much else it has to be said.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
skisimon, nice one, thanks. From what I recall, 14-19 yr olds? By day a snow park and by night a few decent bars that the "old uns" would be less likely to frequent! Little do they know Toofy Grin
snow report
Yeah, that'll be covered! I was there very early last season (and will be this season - the first resort I'll have 'returned' to) and you could see them preparing the snow parks for the season - there were a couple of them if I recall correctly, one of which (between Soldeu and El Tarter) was huge with lots of variety - of course I should qualify that as the opinion of a non-snow park user...

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 8-11-06 20:45; edited 1 time in total
snow report
have skied soldeu and pas several with young family 5,9 ,11 all girls, soldeu bril for kids 2 nice sweeping easy runs home family friendly apre
ski holidays
I worked in Andorra a couple of years ago.

The place has a great snow record, some good intermediate skiing (nothing more), excellent ski school, decent accommodation and great nightlife. Wouldn't be too bothered about the transfer time from the airport, 3 hours isn't great but not too much worse than a lot of other ski destinations.

Soldeu is by far the best resort, it links to Pas De Casa (Pas Vegas, Benidorm on Ice), which is full of drunk Brits. Arinsal is ok for beginners but anyone else would be bored there inside a day.

Arcilles (possibly spelt wrongly) is a small ski area near Arinsal, which the locals like to keep to themselves. If you have transport go there because the skiing is great.

Downsides, not too many. Andorra ran out of water for a week whilst I was there and the slopes shut for a couple of days because of the weather.
snow conditions
Avoid Arisnia, unless you are a total begineer the area developed for skiing is pointless. el tartar is a good spot and totally gorgeous in good weather.
snow report
I am going to Arinsal in Feb!!!! Is it really that bad?

I would consider myself a beginner/intermediate. I have been skiing a few times over the last 2 years and am comfortable on blues and reds in most conditions and am ok on black runs.

I have been led to believe that the skiing in Pal would suit me well and is easily accessable from Arinsal!

I hope I'm not going to be bored for the week... Puzzled
snow report
smudger, when i went the linked lift from pal/arsinal was closed. after 2 days in arisnal i gave up and for the rest of the week we drove to el tarter/soldeu which was great.

the ski area in arsinal is really small, narrow and all routes end in the same spot.
ski holidays
Cheers killian, Was in El Tartar this Feb and really enjoyed it. Did you get to Pal at all then? I was hoping the skiing there would be ok for me because there are a few total beginners in our group who will probably stay in Arinsal and won't really want to drive over to Grand Valira!
ski holidays
smudger, can't comment on Arinsal as we have always been in the Soldeu area, which has great beginners area. I know that some lifts were closed last year due to too much snow snowHead
chances are you'll get on your skis and be taken to other areas so don't worry too much
have a great time snowHead
ski holidays
smudger, Don't worry. Arinsal itself is basically one run from top to bottom which is split into 2 for some of the way.
At the top of Arinsal is a cablecar which links to Pal. There are some nice runs to be found over that side of Pal.

The Arinsal area itself is great for beginners for exactly the same reason that it's bad for more experienced skiers. You can see the whole resort pretty much from the bottom and this makes it less daunting for exploring higher up.

If the Pal link is closed, there is a free ski bus every 15 mins or so which runs between Arinsal and La Massana (the village near Pal) and then up to Arcalis.

I don't think you will get bored.
ski holidays
Thanks everyone! snowHead
snow conditions
Andorra - dont bother its rubbish !!!! rolling eyes
snow conditions
Smokin Joe wrote:
Andorra - dont bother its rubbish !!!! rolling eyes

kind of a brief statement, how come?
snow report
rob and sharon, I think it comes under the heading of 'You can't please of all the people all of the time' wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob and sharon, I'm taking the pish and trying to put poeple off - I live there every February !
snow report
Smokin Joe, that's cool, just wondered as I know some people don't like the place and others love it. No offence ment wink Very Happy
ski holidays
Pas de la Casa is excellent for non skiers (if you are unlucky enough to have one in your party) as the shops are extensive for a ski resort.
I didn't notice any more pi**ed Brits in Pas than in any other resort. I think it is a good family resort with extensive skiing. I'm going back in Jan for my 3rd year running.
Arriving 27th Jan if anyone else is there at that time.
latest report
rob and sharon, people dont like it because its too cheap. It has the same amount of skiing at Les Deux Alps but dont shout that too loud. The transfer also puts people off as its three hours - unlike the journey from GVA to Val Thorens which is three hours.
ski holidays
Me and 4 mates all being 18 and 19 yrs old are heading out to pas de la casa on jan 28th! hopefully the snow will be good and we can have a good laugh, at night especially! Razz
snow report
Brads, you definitely will:)
ski holidays
I didn't like Pas as a place because it's so damn ugly - makes Tignes look like an area of outstanding beauty. And it's got a load more guys than the average ski resort, and that's saying something!

Having said that the ski area is excellent and it's only going to get better
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy