Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What distance apart should my feet be?

Poster: A snowHead
I went skiing in the last couple of days for the first time in over 7 years. Sunday was at Xscape and everything went fine. Last night was at Hillend and i found it a hell of a lot more difficult on the matt than i did on the fake snow. I had a quick word with an instructor who suggested i move my feet further apart. Tried this for the last few runs and it seemed to help with my turns. Thing is, i don't remember having to keep my feet so far apart when i used to ski regularly all those years ago. Is this new stance down to the new shape of skis. I used to be able to short swing without even having to think about it, but i'm pretty sure i had my feet closer together back then.

Apart from that, it felt good to be back on skis again and i'm slowly remembering all of those little things that come together to make good technique.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
shoogly wrote:
Thing is, i don't remember having to keep my feet so far apart when i used to ski regularly all those years ago. Is this new stance down to the new shape of skis. I used to be able to short swing without even having to think about it, but i'm pretty sure i had my feet closer together back then.

Um, yes, kinda. New skis/new technique is about haveing a more neutral stance. Only a few instructors still teach skiing with your boots together (although even the greatest proponent of that has recently changed, and is now claiming he invented the idea of neutral stance).
Around about hip width apart is considered ok.

The analogy I like is "Peeing width" - i.e. when a man stands at a urinal, he wants to be comfortable and balanced, and without thinking, he is standing in a pretty neutral stance.

Other ways to try include:
1. Get someone to pick you up, and see how your legs dangle freely.
2. On your skis, on a flat surface, jump straight up, and see how you land. (although if you've been taught to keep your skis really close together, you may find you pull your legs under you as you land)
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cheers for that. All makes sense. After the instructor had said that to me last night i was watching foot position on other skiers and they all had their feet further apart than me. I will need to make a bit of an effort i think. I don't think the new style looks as graceful as the old one though. I suppose it makes more sense from a balance point of view though.

One thing i did notice though was how lazy a lot of (clearly very good) skiers are with their upper bodies. They can obviously ski, but it's like they don't care about head, upper body and arm/hands position.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
shoogly, depends on what they were doing. I'm only a low intermediate skier, but I would try to get a "quiet upper body" - keep the movements flowing, and let the legs do the bigger moves. (hopefully one day I'll be a better skier, and will achieve that)
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
shoogly,

I acho what WTFH says. You want the action going on below your waist with your head and shoulders quiet and level. Other threads have covered carving technique in some detail (you could try 'carving' in the search function). As this is somewhat different to what you did before, I'd also say it's best to get out on the slopes this winter with an instructor.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
"You want the action going on below your waist with your head and shoulders quiet and level."

That's what i was getting at in my post. When i said they were being lazy, i meant that they weren't really worrying about the amount of control in their upper body.

I think i'll definitely get an instructor even for a day when we get out to the resort to help me on my way.

Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
shoogly, what resort are you off to?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
going to Claviere, just across into Italy from Montgenevre. One of our crowd used to work out there so he knows the area well.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

1. Get someone to pick you up, and see how your legs dangle freely.

Quite a tall (or heavy) order for some of us. Might need some mechanical equipment.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
lol, i'm 6'4" Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
shoogly, ok, maybe pee-width or jumping will have to do for you!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
shoogly, Generally the best width is considered hip width apart. ie: if I picked you up under the armpits (not that I could), where your legs naturally dangle would be the right place. I don't know all that much about peeing men (see a lot of them out here of course), but it always seems to me that they spread their feet out a bit into a slightly triangular stance! Shocked I will have to look harder in future. Laughing Laughing Laughing BTW the "demented banana" style of skiing is well out these days! Shock
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
shoogly, I'm only a low intermediate skier,
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

it always seems to me that they spread their feet out a bit into a slightly triangular stance!

yes, and with little ankle or knee bend, so maybe not a v good stance after all. And don't pick them up when they're peeing, either.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w, But if you must, make sure they are facing away from you. Shocked
latest report
AxsMan, rolling eyes Laughing
snow report
easiski wrote:
shoogly, Generally the best width is considered hip width apart. ie: if I picked you up under the armpits (not that I could), where your legs naturally dangle would be the right place. I don't know all that much about peeing men (see a lot of them out here of course), but it always seems to me that they spread their feet out a bit into a slightly triangular stance! Shocked I will have to look harder in future. Laughing Laughing Laughing BTW the "demented banana" style of skiing is well out these days! Shock

What's demented banana got to do with men peeing? Puzzled
snow conditions
ski holidays
laundryman, I thought shoogly, was referring to the older style of bending quite violently at the waist and waving the arms prior to and after the pole plant, when he was saying today's upper body style was "lazy". Laughing Laughing Laughing I refer to this style as "demented banana" - of course it's even better if they're wearing yellow ........
ski holidays
FenlandSkier, pam w,
ski holidays
AxsMan, Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy see what I mean, no flex in ankles and knees!
snow report
pam w, yeah but look how centred the stance is.
snow conditions
OK, so how's us girls supposed to envisage 'peeing distance' Confused
ski holidays
easiski, I don't think I've ever come across that style of skiing. So what are you supposed to do? Wiggle the hips and wave your arms around before and after every turn? In retrospect, the feet glued together style looks kinda ridiculous these days though doesn't it? I'm really not sure why it was ever thought to be good style in the first place. I've tried it a couple of times with carvers and always ended up catching an edge and wham on my face... Just doesn't work anymore.
snow report
Just watch how good skiers go through gates and you can back off a bit with the arms so far forward unless you are trying to achieve those speeds. That would set the tone for me Aesthetically, I'd like a bit more movement in the arms for free-skiing....possibly..!!
snow conditions
shoogly, just make sure your feet aren't further apart than the length of your legs...
ski holidays
Megamum, Ever peed in the woods? Just lean forward more (NB this position only for a tight schuss) Very Happy

Oh, and knickers should be kept up at all times, Shocked Laughing
ski holidays
AxsMan wrote:
Megamum, Ever peed in the woods? Just lean forward more (NB this position only for a tight schuss) Very Happy

Oh, and knickers should be kept up at all times, Shocked Laughing

And if peeing in the woods remember to take off your skis (or keep them pointing across the hill, at the very least).
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Wiggle the hips and wave your arms around before and after every turn? In retrospect, the feet glued together style looks kinda ridiculous these days though doesn't it?

Don't you believe it.

I occasionally when the mood takes me, perform some excellent "take the piss skiing, legs clamped together, lots of upright cathedral stance, hands wide open, wiggle at the hips, big pole plants. All the way down a groomed run. Like a graceful old school frenchie.

At the bottom, I either get my clients and/or random strangers saying how good/nice that was, and can I teach them to ski like that cos they want to ski like that. rolling eyes
latest report
veeeight, It is very strange how so many peeps think that old school skiing looks more elegant than modern technique. I find that a really good modern skier is far more graceful, with no extraneous movements to disturb the beautiful arcs they're making down the mountain - so much more flowing than old school. OTOH my old school speciality is the true stem christie complete with counter rotation-rotation. A lovely turn to do on occasion. Shocked Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
easiski wrote:
It is very strange how so many peeps think that old school skiing looks more elegant than modern technique. I find that a really good modern skier is far more graceful, with no extraneous movements to disturb the beautiful arcs they're making down the mountain - so much more flowing than old school

I agree, although for sheer entertainment value nothing beats watching a legs-together, swing-the-shoulders type skier trying to get down a steep and icy piste Smile
latest report
My problem is that i've not skied since the old (style) was replaced with the new! I think my brain might take a bit of persuasion to get it to ski the new way.

Anyone know of any online guide to help me develop this new style?

Shock)
latest report
shoogly, to be honest,t he best thing is to get yourself a lesson or two. Perhaps a 1 hour private lesson would be a good place to start.
snow report
About the hip width bit, my hips are kind of narrow and my 'dangling' width is the same as the width I use for skiing. But when I'm skiing it looks like my legs are together. But Ive been told on another thread that legs apart is best.

Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled
snow conditions
skiben, yes, legs apart is best. When you say that it looks like your legs are together, is there a gap between your boots?
ski holidays
according to my camcorder footage, there is a small gap between my boots. It's only small, but I don't remember my boots clicking together at any point

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Wed 8-11-06 14:03; edited 1 time in total
snow report
skiben, I wouldn't worry too much then. Camcorders can lie - and baggy trousers can make legs seem closer together.
snow report
Quote:

shoogly, ok, maybe pee-width or jumping will have to do for you!

Be sure NOT to do these at the same time.
snow conditions
ok, next question...

next time i go for a pee, should i wear my boots and make like i'm skiing?
ski holidays
shoogly, if you do, try to avoid dragging your pole.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy