Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Perceived versus actual level of ability

Poster: A snowHead
JT, thanks for saying so about the peeps who had lessons - I know I bang on a bit ... Shocked Yes the standard was high, but actually not as high as most June/July weeks in the summer! It is helpful and inspiring though to see so many really good skiers around at the same time, give you "an eye".

I reckon that in winter on any given piste at any given moment in time about 80% of skiers will be fairly incompetent. In the summer/autumn this is completely reversed. Very Happy Another good reason for summer skiing - are we on number 600 yet??
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
This is an interesting thread. It seems to me we are saying there are two camps. One - happy with what they can do, and the other - always wanting to improve. Which group is likely to be happier ?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ski wrote:
This is an interesting thread. It seems to me we are saying there are two camps. One - happy with what they can do, and the other - always wanting to improve. Which group is likely to be happier ?

I think there is a balance on this point in my skiing experience.

I am happy with my skiing, but am always eager to learn something new.
I'd say I'm advanced.
When I get to ESA and ski with the likes of cgeib, phil, fox, comprex, and others, I'm sure to be put in my place quite adequately.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ski, I'm extremely happy with the level I've reached, because with my disability, I'd never thought this would be possible, let alone in such a short time.

However, despite the fact that I'm a 6 week skier, and therefore likely to think I know it all ( wink ), I'm actually very conscious of just how much experience I lack, and how much more I have to learn in every department. I wish I could just be content to be one of those folks who just enjoy getting down however they can, and pootling from bar to bar. I can't be content with this, when I can see better skiers than me everywhere I look.

So, there is a balance between being content and wanting to improve. That is the nice thing about skiing - you can actually do both, at least some of the time!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ski, I am happy with my skiing if it gets me from bar to bar without serious injury. Am I a bad person Madeye-Smiley Laughing
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Of all the sports I do, I'm never totally happy with my performance.

You can always do things better and for some reason I always want to.

I'm enjoying the ride though snowHead
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
AxsMan wrote:
ski, I am happy with my skiing if it gets me from bar to bar without serious injury. Am I a bad person Madeye-Smiley Laughing

I'm not alone then wink Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The better I get, the more I realise how much further room for improvement there is.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
The better I get, the more I realise how much further room for improvement there is.

Likewise...
learning more only inspires me to want to learn even more...

and HEY I actually get a kick from working and practising and challenging myself and GETTING BETTER...

I have been described as a sponge for learning... and have to confess it is true...

I have no understanding of those who avoid the tough lessons because they "want to have fun" because i never have so much fun as when learning new stuff... my best days on skis have involved a bunch of friends and everyone breaking through into new ground... viva la difference... because I LOVE improving and Im not giving it up any time soon... Those that avoid lessons make it easier for me to book them or grab a group lesson that becomes a private ... let 'em have their fun! Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The more experience I gain, the more inexperienced I realise I am. Takes me a little while (and experience) to get comfortable with each step. My main problem is that I have yet to find the happy medium of confidence without crossing into complacency - and things go wrong when I get complacent (not just with skiing, with driving, work etc. too).
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Not much mention of the word "talent" yet. Some people can make more progress in say 4-5 weeks than others can in 20 or more. People also tend to reach a limit and that can happen sooner or later depending on their capacity to learn, application, and again, "talent". As with most other sports it also helps massively if you learned young. You can always tell skiers who learned to ski as a child. They usually look simply more relaxed and natural, even if they've picked up bad habits along the way. Skiers learning later in life have a much harder time making their actions second nature. I think this applies to pretty much any sport.

The other classic activity that people (blokes) tend to overestimate their skill level in is driving. Do a few laps of a race track with a top level professional racing driver and you'll soon realise how cr@p you really are.

The basic problem for most skiers (including myself) is not getting enough quality snow time. I'd love to ski every week all year round, but it just isn't practical [sigh]
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
IMVHO... male intermediates tend to overestimate how good they are, watch them turn up for ski school and every bloke is a "strong intermediate" whereas most girls say "lower/mid intermediate". You just need to read the Equipment thread where blokes are asking for advice on what ski to get and they always say "I'm an aggressive skier" and like to ski fast down reds, then you read they've only done 4 weeks!
rolling eyes
The problem is that most of these chaps would benefit from being less gung-ho and honestly appraise their own technique and where they need to improve Shocked ; the flip side being that a lot of girls would be better by not overfussing on technique and getting scared of slopes and attack a bit more. Twisted Evil

The best skiers I've skied with have been totally low key and humble about their abilities - beware the guy who says "I'm alright I suppose" and turns up the next day with Seth Pistols! Shocked

Cheers

BB

BTW I'm crap
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
For me pushing myself has two consequences-

Firstly it pushes the envelope of the terrain that I can ski, so that what seemed too steep to contemplate last year, seems more manageable this year. This increases my enjoyment because it gets me going to places on the mountain that very few other skiers go to, which not only means glorious isolation (there's no better feeling than the only skiers in sight being your friends on a glorious day), but also a better chance of cutting fresh tracks. I always think it's a bit of a shame when I hear skiers who don't want to progress to skiing off piste, because at the risk of sounding a little patronising, they are missing out on something really special and once it "clicks" there really is no turning back. I will admit that this is the zealousness of the fairly recently converted.

The second is that it increases my level of comfort with the stuff that I can already do. I can honestly say that I can't remember the last time that a black run held any fear for me, because when I look down them these days, they just don't look that steep. Being released from that residual fear gives the confidence to start using the terrain features, rather than merely navigating past them, which adds a whole new dimension to the fun that can be had. Even cat tracks start to be a whole lot of fun when you're carving rather than skidding down them. Very Happy

bucking bronco wrote:
beware the guy who says "I'm alright I suppose" and turns up the next day with Seth Pistols!
with telemark bindings. Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
In Orange
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
bucking bronco, gung-ho male intermediates are the most frightening skiers on the mountain!
latest report
chris, aren't they just! rolling eyes rolling eyes
ski holidays
bucking bronco wrote:
The best skiers I've skied with have been totally low key and humble about their abilities - beware the guy who says "I'm alright I suppose" and turns up the next day with Seth Pistols! Shocked

Don't disagree, but wouldn't it be nice if people were just straightforward about their skiing abilities, neither disingenuously underplaying nor boastfully exaggerating? I mean it isn't difficult to answer in a manner that is appropriate to the usual context of this question - ie how good are you compared to the average holiday skier? (as opposed to how good are you compared to fellow instructors or FIS racers)
snow report
easiski wrote:
JT, "but someones 10 weeks against someone else' 10 weeks...?? " It was interesting at the EoSB that in all the group lessons the previous experience ranged from 2 - 10/12 weeks (leaving out the 2 novices), and when we did the ski off (easy slope) there was very little technical difference between everyone. Shocked the exception was Michelle (take a bow), who was standing much better than everyone else. Very Happy

Oooh Charlotte - I've just read this thread snowHead
Thank You Embarassed
snow conditions
Michelle, I only speak the truth - of course some peeps don't like that!

slikedges, Well yes - but if someone says "are you a good skier", they may not mean in relation to holiday skiers, so if you think you're an OK skier, that's what you say. However the problem is that many (mostly men - sorry) have hugely inflated ideas of their own ability! If someone asks me if I'm a good skier, I assume they mean in relaation to other instructors - not holiday skiers. In that case the answer might be something like "not bad for an old wifey" or something like that - which would be the truth. However that wouldn't be being disingenuous.
ski holidays
easiski, only if you know they know you're an instructor. Many people are disingenuous when it comes to their non-professional skills, particularly where they know they'll get the opportunity to show off their true level...
latest report
slikedges wrote:
Don't disagree, but wouldn't it be nice if people were just straightforward about their skiing abilities, neither disingenuously underplaying nor boastfully exaggerating?

That assumes people actually have a clear idea of their own abilities (I'm sure I don't as it can depend on mood, health, whether everything is "firing" correctly etc etc etc)
ski holidays
I just think the more you ski, the more you realise how good you aren't and its far better to understate your abilities than to get dragged off somewhere and make a total t*t of yourself by being out of your depth.
After you have mastered or got hold of a few techniques you can look forward to some quite exciting terrain but the good guys will ski it at a very uncomfortable speed and its no joke being tail-end charlie as you end up always playing catch-up. You try to go faster and the others are trying to go slow enough...you speed up and they get a move on...!!!!!
This is what I call out-of-your depth. And a recipe for disaster, IMV
snow conditions
eng_ch, no problem with people getting it wrong. I've been on performance coaching courses where people who thought they were pretty good literally cried in disappointment and shame when they saw what they looked like on video and even went so far as to accuse the vidman of somehow being responsible for what they were seeing. No, I just mean people who are boastful and those who are falsely modest - just as bad as each other imnsho.
snow report
THEORY: True high level skiers need less of an apparent ability gap between themselves and an instructor/clinician/coach to be able to learn from them.

whaddya think? useful for self diagnosis?
snow report
comprex, a WC skier and his coach
snow report
comprex, High level skiers can learn from peeps not as good as them - I'm always picking up useful bits and bobs from my students!! OK - not usually technical, but in terms of how to think of something etc. I particularly liked a snowboarder learning to ski, who, when he got in a good position said "oh - the brakes are there" and pointed to just in front of his bindings. How true, and it's amazing how many peeps relate to that, but I'd never thought of it....

slikedges, I think JT, has hit the nail on the head - you can't related yourself to the average holiday skier, only to the people you know and ski with. the more you know, the more you realise there is to learn, and that you still have a long way to go - hence in many cases the apparent false modesty. However it is nice to put a stupid boastful skier in their place - Like Paul McK with his stupid girlie in December! Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
bucking bronco wrote:
beware the guy who says "I'm alright I suppose" and turns up the next day with Seth Pistols! Shocked

You mean wtfh? wink
snow report
easiski, I don't agree. If I met you at a dinner party and didn't know you from Carlotta wink and I asked if you were a good skier, I'd expect you to come clean. If I met you at the shindig of whatever the skiing equivalent of the Master's circuit is called and asked the same question I'd expect a different answer. Didn't you say that 80% of peeps on the slope in mid-season couldn't really control themselves very well (or something like that Toofy Grin)? That gives an indication of where average is, from where it's possible to guess at what the asker may consider good, very good or excellent.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
slikedges, averages irrelevant on power curve graphs as you have to know the tail is finite as a separate step.
latest report
comprex, sorry, I don't subscribe to the opinion that you are only any good at whatever if they're showing you on the telly
snow conditions
slikedges, neither do I if we define 'any good' as 'not bad'. If you look at a power law graph, there is a cusp and we can fairly assign 'not bad' to anything beyond it. That still doesn't help with terms like 'average' which are only relevant within selected sub-intervals.

Put in another context, if you met someone at the shindig of the equivalent Master's circuit, it is a subsample where 'average' can have meaning. Otherwise not.

slikedges wrote:
easiski, I don't agree. If I met you at a dinner party and didn't know you from Carlotta wink and I asked if you were a good skier, I'd expect you to come clean.

See, that to me almost means that one can ask strangers whether they're any good, and expect to hear a curriculum vitae. Sorry, strangers aren't entitled to mine.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 31-12-06 17:46; edited 1 time in total
snow report
stuarth wrote:
bucking bronco wrote:
beware the guy who says "I'm alright I suppose" and turns up the next day with Seth Pistols! Shocked

You mean wtfh? wink

His orange pants never arrived though. Sad
snow report
comprex wrote:
slikedges wrote:
easiski, I don't agree. If I met you at a dinner party and didn't know you from Carlotta wink and I asked if you were a good skier, I'd expect you to come clean.

See, that to me almost means that one can ask strangers whether they're any good, and expect to hear a curriculum vitae. Sorry, strangers aren't entitled to mine.

Not entitled to mine either, but that's from the viewpoint of the respondent. In the context of a friendly social situation, from the viewpoint of the innocent questioner, that's a bit churlish if not harsh - you know what they're asking, is it so difficult to give a straightforward answer?
snow report
Straightforward, no. Meaningful, useful, accurate and complete, yes. If I'm good at finding common referents I might be able to ditch two of those four and remain sociable and friendly. wink
ski holidays
comprex, ditto! Toofy Grin And a Happy New Year to you! snowHead
snow report
Happy New Year! snowHead Laughing snowHead
snow report
slikedges, It's difficult to give a straightforward answer because there isn't one. I'd probably say something along the lines of "pretty fair". I would not want to EVER say I was a good skier - suppose you were a WC racer?? I wouldn't know. I don't like to fill in "expert" in the tick boxes either, but I know from experienced that when they say "advanced" it isn't!

that's the whole point of this thread isn't it? The ones who say they're good aren't (generally). I always warn my beginners that if someone's boasting in the pub and trying to make them feel small, they're almost bound NOT to be good skiers, because if they were they wouldn't bother!
ski holidays
easiski, still disagree I'm afraid Little Angel, if someone random asked me how much I knew about medicine, and I wanted to be straightforward (see interchange with comprex above wink), I'd say "lots actually" - and it wouldn't matter if only later did I discover they were head of a large academic department - compared to the man on the clapham omnibus I do know lots about medicine.
snow report
slikedges, We'll have to agree to disagree! Oh course if the person was getting up my nose I might react differently. wink
snow report
slikedges,

Thats what we are saying, its all relative...but if you talk yourself up too crudely, ski-wise, you can find yourself in real bother..or you walk off with your tail between your legs. And I can't see the point in either of those options

I generally say, I've skied a bit and let others make up their minds, but its not a competition to me, its about enjoying the day with like minded souls.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy