Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing with Children in April

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We are thinking of going skiing in April 2007. We are a family with four children (who will be 7, 5, 3 and 6 months in April) so the resort need to be very child friendly. We skied last year in La Rosiere in February with Esprit which was a great success.

Which resorts are going to be good to ski uring April (i.e. still have plenty of snow cover)? Does anyone have experience of going long haul with young children - we will need childcare.

Also does anyone have experience of still breast feeding and going on a skiing holiday?

Thanks in advance
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
keith904,

Val Thorens in April should be very nice. Still plenty of snow and hopefully very sunny snowHead

If you stayed in the lower part of the village (around the Montana buildings) you could ski in and out of your aprtment and the ski schools are right on your doorstep. For the young children there's an excellent 'magic carpet' there as well that your children can go up and down all day. Anyone baby sitting can take in the sun on the large cafe terraces and still be in the middle of everything that's going on in ski school or on the 'home runs'.

Add to that the Three Valleys for anyone wanting to run up some serious mileage, you can't go wrong snowHead snowHead

My wife was breastfeeding our youngest (4 months at the time) in April this year - no problems except that the milk was a bit chilled wink - actually works well on the plane as its very comforting for the baby during a potentially stressful time. Cool

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sat 4-11-06 11:06; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We first skied in N.America with our kids when they were only just 4, at Mammoth. The flight (to LA) was no problem, and their jet lag was no worse than mine. For the following 6 years we skied in Banff (with weeks in Panorama and Jasper) with the kids, then Breckenridge (which was abit high for all of us).

N.American childcare is excellent, in my experience. At Mammoth and Sunshine (Banff), the creche offered one or two one hour lessons a day (Breckenridge may do far all I know); if you said that you wanted the kids to ski, they more or less left it up to the kids to decide whether or not they felt like it, which makes sense (they always did).

All our N.American skiing with the kids has been in the Easter hols apart form Mammoth, which was right at the end of April (Mammoth has almost year round skiing although it doesn't have a glacier). Snow conditions have always been good, often excellent.

Of the places we've visited, I'd recommend Banff for a family although Mammoth was very good and apparently the vilage has improved a lot since we were there. I think that Breckenridge is too high for very young kids. You'd have to sort out care for the 6 month old in Banff, though, as the creche starts at 19 months, IIRC. I have no idea what is available, but maybe TOs will offer it. I'd leave the youngest at home personally, although obviously not on it's own, not that it's any of my business. An opportunity for grandparent/grandchild bonding? The 3 and 5 yos could go in the creche with ski lessons if they wanted and the 7 yo could go to ski school all day or half day. The ski school and creche are astonishingly flexible; we booked them in all day, every day, and then booked them out the day before if we didn't want them to go in.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy