Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Last Minute vs DIY Ski Trip

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi there!

Which one is generally cheaper for a beginner snowboarder.

I thought a diy holiday would, but lastminute.com seems to have some cracking deals on canada, in which case would it be better to wait untill the week before departure ( feb )

thanks
Luke
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
lucasharrison, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

You can get some great last minute deals, but you are taking a chance. If you can be flexible on dates, then it's worth taking the risk - if there's nothing good this week, then try again next week. However, if you are set on a certain week, and are particular about your resort, then it's worth looking into DIY.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
lucasharrison, welcome.

I'm not sure if the last minute price reductions on a beginner's package (including lessons and kit) are as great as those on a flight/room/food deal as you'll only save on the flight/room/food part as I don't expect the TO will have committed to paying for lessons etc so won't discount that element.

But if you get a last minute deal without lift pass etc and are willing to do a bit of work in arranging all this you'll be able to do it just as cheaply as if you bought from the TO (probably cheaper) and you can pick a hire shop that doesn't have the 60 other people on your package turning up at once.

As Elizabeth B said, if you're flexible on where you go, aren't going with 10 mates and aren't going during school holidays you should be able to get something cheap at the last minute.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've always found a last minute using teletext very cheap! BUT you are never too sure of what type of accommodation you are going to get and where you are going... Which is difficult if you are a new boarder 'cos you could end up in a difficult area.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Welcome to snowHeads lucasharrison.

Certain elements of a ski trip are the same cost regardless of how you go - the lift pass, lessons, ski hire and boot hire.

If you go self-catering then food (if you're self-catering) and drinks are also the same, regardless of whether you go DIY or tour operator.

If you go DIY then the biggest cost savings are really to be made on flights and car hire - both of which really need you to book early to get the best deals on. Getting a good accommodation deal if you go DIY is a catch 22 - you might get a good last minute deal on a catered chalet, but you probably won't get a great deal on the flight because you'll be booking too close to the travel date to get a cheap flight.

I think that DIY only really saves money if you're organised and book early. For example, BA flights from London to Geneva can be had for £80 return, all in, if you book 10-11 months in advance of travel.

So, if cost is your main driver then I'd say that you'd almost certainly be better off going with a last minute deal this year.

Personally, I think you'll spend less overall if you go for a catered chalet with free beer / wine than if you go for self-catered - where it's easy to spend £10-£20 a night on food and booze.

A good tactic, if you want to do DIY next year, is to book Saturday to Saturday flights to Geneva for the third week of January and then, if you can hold your nerve, shop around for a last minute chalet.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
lucasharrison, what kind of arrangements have you holidayed with in the past? And where? And what kind of party will you be? And when are you hoping to travel? The answers to those questions really have an impact on what to suggest. Welcome to Snowheads Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think the flight component is often included in last minute deals providing you can fly from a major airport.

My own experience is that DIY is cheaper for high season whereas last minute package is for low season. Though if you can get a last minute package in high seasonI guess it may be cheaper.

I tend to DIY most of the time as low season my trips are not usually weekend to weekend and I live in Scotland where last minute deals are not always available . Though I will often DIY booking accommodation as late as possible for best snow.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy