Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

glacier skiing - any advice?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have one whole day off work before christmas and am thinking I just can't wait to go skiing until I get a proper clear week. Soooooo.....I was thinking of going on a long weekend to a glacier.

We have to go out Friday 10th Nov and return on the Sunday, departing/ returning London airports. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions that don't cost the earth (or involve a long long transfer)? Has anyone done anything similar?

Plus, is it worth it? I'm not expecting acres of pistes.....
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
robertsnerys, I'd recommend Hintertux. I go there because, not only is it the best glacier IMO, but the scheduled BA and Lufty flights to Munich are well priced and there's a late BA flight (at around 21:15) into Heathrow that means you get a full day sliding around that day. Hotels are all good and cheap compared to France... www.tux.at

Getting there really means a hire car but only 2 hrs easy drive away.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hintertux, Saas Fee and perhaps Zermatt are the only glaciers with any snow left this year. I vaguely recall Obergurgl plans to open on Nov 17, too. Of all those, Hintertux should be your best bet, imho.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Also, if going to Hintertux look into BA flights to Innsbruck - this is much closer than Munich or Salzburg. But there are no cheap airlines to Innsbruck but you can fly easyjet to Salzburg and Munich.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the advice, everyone. Now all I have to do is persuade my other half that all the dashing around is worth it for 2 days on the snow!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Last time I was in Hintertux (August 2005) we went in/out of Innsbruck Airport. Our flights were not cheap; however I noticed that there were advertisements for low cost carriers in the Airport. You may want to check on this. I rented a car at the airport and drove up to Hintertux – We had a great time!

Innsbruck has a major train station so getting there by train should be easy. I traveled there from Milan, Italy a few years ago to check out Innsbruck for our club.
snow report
 brian
brian
robertsnerys, If Ray Zorro were around he would be able to tell you that around that time last year he had a great time at Hintertux, flying with Ryanair Stansted-Salzburg and staying here:

http://www.badhotel-kirchler.at/

.... but unfortunately he's in Les Deux Alpes trying another glacier Smile

Or if you fancy testing skis, Zermatt are doing ski testing weekends throughout November:

http://www.zermatt.ch/e/packages/z09.html

Transfer to/from Geneva is perhaps a bit long for a weekend though.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
In the last couple of days the Kitzsteinhorn glacier (@ Kaprun) has received over 50 cm fresh snow - it's one to watch & consider.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Whitegold wrote:
Hintertux, Saas Fee and perhaps Zermatt are the only glaciers with any snow left this year. I vaguely recall Obergurgl plans to open on Nov 17, too. Of all those, Hintertux should be your best bet, imho.

Friends were on the Pitztal glacier two weeks ago (half term). The snow doesn't look bad:

snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bode Swiller wrote:
robertsnerys, I'd recommend Hintertux. I go there because, not only is it the best glacier IMO, but the scheduled BA and Lufty flights to Munich are well priced and there's a late BA flight (at around 21:15) into Heathrow that means you get a full day sliding around that day. Hotels are all good and cheap compared to France... www.tux.at

Getting there really means a hire car but only 2 hrs easy drive away.

I agree with the Austria and drive from Munich option but I'd say Stubai is a better bet than Hintertux .. more & better skiing and Neustift is a nice little village to stay in.

It might be a bit further from Munich but more of it is motorway so probably quicker .... that drive up the Zillertal to Hintertux takes ages.

Fly out Thursday night and you'll get 3 full days in no problems.

www.stubaiaustria.com
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
RichA,
Quote:

.... that drive up the Zillertal to Hintertux takes ages.

Getting easier all the time though... tons of road improvements last couple of summers. Even before all that though, I'd happily bet the mortgage that you'd make it to Tux way faster than to Stubai from Munich.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
People seem to judge the glaciers by how the conditions were when they skied them. I've skied Kaprun, Sölden & Hintertux numerous times in good and bad weather/snow conditions (Mölltaler and Stubai are on the to-do list). Which one do I prefer? - the one with the best snow-conditions at the time. Currently Stubai has 40cm, Hintertux has 80cm, Kaprun has 74cm (50cm+ is fresh) and Mölltaler has 100cm (30cm is fresh).

If I were flying from the UK, I'd work out when is the latest I can book a flight without getting hammered on price; then watch the snow reports closely making a just in-time decision on where to go.

(I'd also consider flight costs to Munich, InnsBruck, Salzburg and Graz - might even consider flying to Linz if the price was right.)
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Whenever a glacier thread gets going, no-one ever seems to mention Kaunertal:- why is that? Too small? Too remote? Too rubbish? Has nobody heard of it? It is in the Tyrol (I think) so it can't be that hard to get to. Has anybody been there?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
the ice perv wrote:
Whenever a glacier thread gets going, no-one ever seems to mention Kaunertal:- why is that? Too small? Too remote? Too rubbish? Has nobody heard of it? It is in the Tyrol (I think) so it can't be that hard to get to. Has anybody been there?

Not been. According to a routeplanner it's about 100km and 1:15 from Innsbruck, close to Piztal.

3 lifts are running at Kaunertal according to their internet site ....

http://www.bergfex.com/kaunertal/

http://winter.kaunertaler-gletscher.at/

As an example Tux has a lot more lifts open

http://www.tux.at/?ct=wettertux
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
the ice perv, you're right not to forget this place especially since I hear they're about to put a lift in to 3500m which, I reckon, will make it the highest in Austria. I've driven up there but didn't go up. There isn't much going on other than a scattering of hotels further down the valley. I hear good things about the gradient... evidently steeper than the rest.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy