Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Am I too tall for women's skis?!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Wanted to pick your brains about ski length... I've done approx 10 days on skis and can do parallel turns down a red (I've snowboarded for over 10 years so I guess I'm more confident that the average beginner), keen to improve and have been looking at buying a pair of skis for this season. The K2 True Luvs look great for me, and they come in a 160cm and 167cm, and being fairly tall for a woman at 5'9 (I weigh 66kg), I assumed I should go for the longer ones -- but Ellis Brigham only stock them in the 160 length. I'm test driving a few skis on Friday at the snozone, but the longest ski I can get to demo is 161cm.... which begs the question, am I too tall for a female-specific ski? I'm sure the shorter ones will feel easy to ski, but I want a ski I can grow into, and that is stable at the high speeds I one day hope to obtain! Any advice most gratefully welcomed....
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ejh103 wrote:
Wanted to pick... ...longer ones -- but Ellis Brigham only stock them in the 160 length... ...I'm sure the shorter ones will feel easy to ski, but I want a ski I can grow into, and that is stable at the high speeds I one day hope to obtain!

Do you have to buy in the UK? I see you will be testing some here but you are more likely to find a better selection of skis in resort. Lots of UK stores only stock a 'safe sample' of skis and ski lengths. If don't want to wait to buy in resort you could special order them, but of course you couldn't test them.

Are you too tall for womens skis? No, as you say they make them up to 167cm.

Do you need womens skis? Do you want girlie graphics? Do you need them to be marginally lighter? The only other differences are flex patterns, which vary in all skis anyway and mount point. If the answer is no to these questions test some unisex skis in 165-170cm, if you can't find your women specific skis.

You may choose to mount a unisex ski slightly forward of the marked line. This is because the ladiez have a different center of gravity to us boyz.

You girls seem to be getting some pretty cool skis now. If I was a girl snowHead Wink I'd be testing: Rossignol Girl Scratch BC (poss FS), K2 Phat Luvs, K2 Nancy & Scott Rosa.

If you fancy a trip to Verbier I can hook you up with a pair of Faction Dillingers to test. 168cm, 122/92/112mm tip/waist/tail twin tip. A-W-E-S-O-M-E. Twisted EvilTwisted EvilTwisted Evil

Good Luck.

edited for detail...

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 1-11-06 23:14; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I would think 160's at your weight and experience level would suit on Piste skiing just fine, my wife is 5 10 and skis 160 K2 One luvs and thinks they are great.

i am not a ski fitter but my understanding is that extra length mainly helps for off piste and deep snow
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
It's more about weight than height, and at 66kg, a 160cm ski would be plenty long enough, imho.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
thanks guys... I'll let you know how the test drive goes tomorrow! em x
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I have access to a pair of Burnin Luvs in a 167 that I can send back with TWFH from Epic ESA. $475.00 US.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi guys -- just thought I would let you know that I tested the 160 K2 tru luvs on Friday and they were perfect for me. Of course it's at the snowdome so I might appreciate a bit more length on the mountains, but as I am a real beginner I think they are a good pair of "My First Skis". Also tried out the Salomon Temptresses which I totally fell in love with -- flexible, forgiving, bouncy, lots of fun! But the very helpful assistant in Ellis Brigham advised me that unless I am very interested in going into the park (no thanks), I will be better off on piste on the K2s. And as they are £100 cheaper that's another plus! Anyway, I had great fun trying them out, haven't bought them yet (want to check out prices in the USA as I am skiing there at the end of Nov) but thanks for all the advice... em x
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy