Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Met Office Winter Forecast Update

brian
brian
They're going for slightly above average* temperatures for most of Europe (average in Scotland). Average precipitation everywhere. That should be pretty good news as long as some of it arrives early.

http://www.metoffice.com/weather/seasonal/winter2006_7/europe.html

They've done really well with their last 2 winters so interesting to see how it goes.

* average over the period 1971-2000
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Interesting that Scotlands predicted average - there's already a dusting of snow at Cairngorm and The Lech (haven't checked the webcams at the other Scottish areas yet).

Maybe Scotland will be the safe place to go to ski this year! Wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Also:

Quote:
However, later in the season, there remains a signal for lower temperatures (relative to average) and an increase in the frequency of cold snaps.

Quote:
For the UK as a whole, a winter with average or above-average precipitation is the more likely outcome.

Last winter was cold towards the end, but drier.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
'Later' in Met Office speak means February.

That would continue a pattern from the last couple of seasons for big falls from mid Feb onwards with excellent skiing in Scotland during March and April.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:
'Later' in Met Office speak means February.

Yes, as they are talking about winter - Dec/Jan/Feb
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I don't understand,

"Elsewhere the odds are currently even for above or below normal temperatures."

Would someone who knows better please explain where exactly I find the informational content of this statement? I would have thought the odds on being above or below normal were close to 100%? So it's either self-evident or evidently wrong?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
David Murdoch,
Quote:

the odds are currently even

A few years a go when I was a contract Manager my job took me to the Met Office in Bracknell where they showed me, with pride, their performance set against the newly announced Government targets for all Govt organisations.

The Met Office target for accuracy of forecast was set at 40% correct for that days forecast,
when I queried 'that day' I was informed that it was the bulletin Broadcast after the 9.00am news on Radio 4!

So not really gambling men!
Or people that think 60% wrong when looking at that days weather is a success Shocked

Loads of information on their website at http://www.meto.gov.uk/
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
boredsurfin, a day runs from 6am to 6am so the forecast (I would assume ) would be for until the following morning. Anyway that rating was probably for "PRP" which the government insisted on introducing.
The current forecast accuracy is now rated as up in the 80s: http://www.meto.gov.uk/corporate/verification/index.html

Anyway, the winter forecast is an experimental one, and the last two years were pretty good.

Anyway, as far as I can see, this statement:

"Elsewhere the odds are currently even for above or below normal temperatures."

Seems like it means nothing on it's own, but if you look at the alternatives it makes sense. There is either a signal that suggests temperatures will be above average, a signal that suggests below, or no clear signal either way. This is the third one. Even if it is the default one, it's stated for completeness.
snow conditions
 brian
brian
David Murdoch, I think they are saying that they expect the temperatures to be close to the average values ?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:
Drier than average conditions are favoured over parts of southern and eastern Europe

hmm this doesnt bode well for the Alps \ Pyrenees then!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

David Murdoch, I think they are saying that they expect the temperatures to be close to the average values ?

No, I don't think it necessarily means that, it just means what it says. There are as many (or as few) reasons for expecting it to be above normal as there are for expecting it to be below normal. Or, presumably, for expecting it to be average. So, for the moment, their models give them no reason to make a prediction on temperature. Or, in other words, they don't know. There's no point trying to read more into that statement than it says, no matter how much we might wish it otherwise.
snow report
 brian
brian
zippy, the pic that goes with that statement shows S and E to Italy, Greece and the Balkans rather than the alps/pyrenees.

snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Anyone know the name of that small blob in the middle of Sweden? wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
laundryman,

This is probably the closest place with some vertical.

http://www.funasdalen.com/

They have snow now.

This shows snow depths in Sweden

http://www.smhi.se/sgmain/vinter/snotacke/snotacke.html#
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
nordicfan, it's an interesting place to have such a large blob. Does that site have a map of average Swedish precipitation distribution (I've looked can't find it)?
snow conditions
 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
skanky,

Hmmm - I was just sent the link to the snowdepths - and my Swedish is not too good, - but this looks like it is the annual precipitation:-
http://www.smhi.se/sgn0102/images/p117.gif

or maybe it is this one - I can't work out what is different:-
http://www.smhi.se/sgn0102/images/p118.gif

This one is better for snowheads - it is the percentage of snow:-
http://www.smhi.se/sgn0102/images/p124.gif

As I would expect these show that the most precipitation, and the highest percentage of snow, are in the western mountains. And the further North, the more snow snowHead

and the less daylight rolling eyes Sad
snow report
nordicfan, thanks for that. Could the first two be seasonal averages?
Anyway, it appears that the blob mentioned above doesn't quite sit over the area of lowest precipitation, but it's close enough to make me wonder if that explains its existence.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy