Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

My new skis have just been delivered

Poster: A snowHead
I wasn't going to buy any skis just yet - 3 weeks ski-ing in-resort, lots of Xscape trips but I'm absolutely hooked and love it. Its also my birthday and I got a bit of cash from relatives so decided to treat myself.

Anyhow, a courier van has just delivered my new skis..... drum roll ..... Head C260i's in a 163cm length.

I ski'd these at the September EB ski test at Castleford and loved them and found a decent deal with The Ski Exchange (near Cambridge) who were selling new but last seasons at £269 (plus £20 carriage).

Heres the link to their last seasons sale http://www.skiex.co.uk/page18.htm I have to say both James and Simon were very helpful over the phone and the transaction has been very smooth.

I can't wait to try them on Friday morning at Xscape and they are such beautiful things I believe they'll be joining my wife and I in bed this evening Very Happy . If there isn't room for us all my wife can take the couch Toofy Grin

Please don't anyone tell me I've bought the wrong ski's as I know theyre right for me right now and I just wanted to share my excitement snowHead

My question now is - what can I do to protect them, particularly from Xscapes abrasive snow ? Is there anything I can rub on them before ski-ing ie. a cold wax or something ? and would a waxing iron/hot wax be a worthwhile addition to my christmas list ? Any other advice on looking after my shiny new best friends ?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hairy Boy, Zardoz is probably the best 'rub on' treatment you can find. You won't be able to run a cold wax on 'cos it's too hard Sad Yes learning to wax skis yourself is worthwhile, and will save you money snowHead Don't forget your edges tho Shocked Spyderjon is the man to talk to re. tools etc.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Zardoz is good stuff, but it doesn't protect bases from harsh snow does it?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to hot wax 'em with the coldest and thus hardest wax you can find! Have a search around, I'm sure it has been discussed on here!

cheers,

Greg
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Use datawax polar x www.datawax.com/datawax/home.do
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
rob@rar,

Quote:

Zardoz is good stuff, but it doesn't protect bases from harsh snow does it?

It'll be better than nothing... and as it makes the base more 'slippery', I think it will, to some extent, protect the base. Definitley better than the rub on waxes you can get...
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Unless you're planning to clock up some really serious hours at X-scape, I wouldn't worry too much about wearing the bases out. You'll clock up more miles in a single day's resort skiing than a 100 X-scape visits. I could do a rough calculation, but can't be bothered Wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
uktrailmonster, don't be too sure. For reasons yet to be uncovered by snowheads, that nasty xscape snow seems to eat wax. Normal wax stays on the bases only about 2/3 hours or so.

PolarX on the other hand seems to have a half life of around five years.

Strange but true.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I think the snow is coarser indoor and at XScape you can also find yourself on a little bit of matting on the poma which also eats wax Wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hairy Boy,

Quote:

My question now is - what can I do to protect them, particularly from Xscapes abrasive snow ?

.........polish them nicely and hang on bedroom wall. Alternatively leave in the bed. Go to XScape and hire skis.... Toofy Grin

Honestly, Happy days...! I hope they are great skis and that you enjoy every minute on them.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for all the advice,

I still can't stop smiling about my new arrivals Very Happy

Popped into Ellis Brigham this afternoon to get them to check the bindings with my boots in readiness for my ski session on Friday.

Full marks to EB's - they checked them over FOC even though I hadn't bought the skis from them and full marks to The Ski Exchange as they were setup perfectly Cool

ski wrote:
Hairy Boy, Zardoz is probably the best 'rub on' treatment you can find. You won't be able to run a cold wax on 'cos it's too hard Sad Yes learning to wax skis yourself is worthwhile, and will save you money snowHead Don't forget your edges tho Shocked Spyderjon is the man to talk to re. tools etc.

The ski-tech in EB's also recommended Zardoz as a nice easy top up to (not replacement for) waxing.

Can't wait for Friday mornings trip to Xscape.

Can't chat anyway, I'm off to rub and admire my new skis again Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hairy Boy, ....don't you wear them out now with all that rubbing & polishing - make sure you wear shades when admiring them.... Toofy Grin
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
BernardC,

I'm sensing you've done your fair share of rubbing and polishing in your time !

Hairy Boy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hairy Boy,........the downhill speed I travel at 'friction-cleans & polishes'........ Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If anyone wants to ask us a technical question that's general and vaguely interesting and you could win an iron and Holmenkol wax. It's a little comp we run each month... Drop me a pm with the question asap
ski holidays
BernardC wrote:
........the downhill speed I travel at 'friction-cleans & polishes'........ Toofy Grin

You smooth devil you !

Hairy Boy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy