Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

MY BOOTS STINK.

Poster: A snowHead
and my mothers threatening to chuck 'em.

Yep, they're being used for maybe 6 hours a week, every week, and they absolutely pong.

Anybody got any tips/tricks to get rid of the smell, or any ways of making them smell delightful.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Febreze after each wearing. Worked for my running shoes...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Seconded! (Fabreze this is) snowHead snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Fabreze!

Such a god send, especially when i was at uni.... failing that, you could try taking the liner out and airing the boot and the liners outside in the cold air for a day to try get rid of the smell.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Jono, New boots, you know it makes sense Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Jono, Take the inner boots out after each time that you use them.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think there is an ozone type treatment you can have done to eradicate the problem completely but it has to be done profesionally I've heard about it but I'm sure others around here will know of it, I opted for the new boot route because the shiny colours were nicer than my old faded ones Very Happy . Logical

I think the problem is moisture going mouldy so if you sweat lots then buy a boot dryer (the thermic ones are quite good) take the liner out of the boot (if you don't know how ask someone to show you in a ski shop, there is a technique) and dry 'em after every ski. I used to have the same problem Embarassed and fabreze just did'nt come close but now have no (ok very little) issues with smelly boots. Interestingly I thought mine were bad but a friend of mine has boots that can be smelt whilst actually ON, slightly embarrasing in crowded telecabine's Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Get the dangle in boot driers. They also seem to prolong lining life and keep them from compressing down towards the end of a ski holiday, and say goodbye to putting your feet in to cold wet boots in the morning.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Grab a pair of old socks, fill with a handful of cat litter and tie at the top. Put one package in each boot as soon as you take them off and the litter will soon absorb the odour. Just change the litter every couple of weeks or so and they'll stay pong free.

Our daughter has seriously evil feet, but her boots still smell like new.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just keep the cat away from the boots though! Laughing
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Frosty wrote:
I think there is an ozone type treatment you can have done to eradicate the problem completely but it has to be done profesionally I've heard about it but I'm sure others around here will know of it, I opted for the new boot route because the shiny colours were nicer than my old faded ones Very Happy . Logical

This might work - http://www.aqua-digital.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductID=1066
Put the end of the air pump in your boots and set it going. Make sure it's in a well ventilated place though. Ozone only hangs around for about 20 minutes before it breaks down into oxygen.

We use Ozone generators at work for recycling water and our units produce a total of >1000g/hour ie 3000 times what this unit produces. Just 30 seconds exposure to that and it takes me a couple days to fully recover.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Tomsk, think there's money in it?
http://www.mold-kill.com/models.html
(scroll to bottom)
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Febreeze, but see if you can get the anti-bacterial version. Works even better.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
take the inners out, make sure they are dry, then stick them in the deep freeze overnight.
the cold kills the bacteria that makes the pong
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
comprex, tbh, no. People are more likely to go to the local supermarket and buy some spray like Febreeze or get some 'sneaker balls'. It's only gadget freaks like me that will look to using a technological solution.
snow report
veeeight wrote:

ahem, Freezing does not kill Bacteria mereley makes in active until it is warmed up again, hence the old maxim of NEVER re-freezing frozen food Shocked
snow report
...oh, and try putting foot talc in them as well.
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
...oh, and try putting foot talc in them as well.

I have absolutley no proof but I reckon a build up of foot talc gives the smell somewhere to live Shocked
snow conditions
boredsurfin wrote:
veeeight wrote:

ahem, Freezing does not kill Bacteria mereley makes in active until it is warmed up again, hence the old maxim of NEVER re-freezing frozen food Shocked

Why did you quote me, and then talk about freezing? I didn't!
snow conditions
veeeight wrote:
boredsurfin wrote:
veeeight wrote:

Why did you quote me, and then talk about freezing? I didn't!

OOPS Embarassed Sorry, It was Arno that mentioned freezing in the post below yours, my only excuse is that it was early and I had a late finish last night and pressed the wrong button in error Sad
latest report
Jono, Start with Milton sterilizing fluid. Put your liners in a bucket and give them a good scrubbing soak in Milton at least twice or untill they are completely niff free.

For your feet -WHICH ARE THE ROOT OF THE PROBLEM - go to a decent health-food store or herbalist and buy a tub of 'Extra Virgin Coconut Oil' (should look a bit like Vaseline). Rub it well into your feet, toes, nails etc. at night and wear socks to bed to keep the sheets clean and use a tiny amount during the day in the same areas.

This will get your feet health, bacteria and fungus free (it will also cure nail fungus with time) and once your liners are sterile, use just a tiny bit of oil or TeaTree oil to keep your feet uninfected (and dry your liners out of your boots every night.

Coconut oil is good for skanky nuts too.

(you could wash your liners in a bucket of p¡ss first for a guaranteed best result, but for some reason it's not popular here)
ski holidays
Quote:

you could wash your liners in a bucket of p¡ss first for a guaranteed best result, but for some reason it's not popular here

apart from any other consideration, how long would it take to produce enough wee wee to soak ski boot liners in? And then why not add virgin coconut oil, cat litter, febreze and foot talc, just to be really sure?

The theories about damp do sound highly relevant. And do you change your socks every day? That helped with my son's pong. We have a cold air blower in our apartment (cheap, in French hardware stores) and always leave the boots on them after skiing, and they don't seem to have a problem. I have arthritic hands and find getting liners in and out of boots killing, so mine stay in permanently I'm afraid.
latest report
Quote:

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

How do you know this? Shocked
snow report
Yeah, clean socks every time, it's just they're getting worn like a pair of trainers the amount of skiing I'm doing at the moment.

I'll air the liners when it stops raining and invest in some febreeze and some coconut oil for my nuts wink
latest report
Crumpled up newspaper, pamw, if you can't get to a dryer, then throw it away before bedtime.
snow report
veeeight wrote:
Quote:

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

How do you know this? Shocked

...and have you told Skanky about this?
latest report
veeeight, marc gledhill a: I didn't type Skanky's and b: That you two 'loss leaders' seem to have an issue with the idea of having your nether regions slathered with a warm topical unguent just demonstrates a small life, barely lived. wink

(the early 70's were an interesting time for jungle fungal infections . . . you learn wot works and wot don't) . . . and I didn't say anything about self application now did I?

Jono, make sure it's extra virgin.
snow report
Masque wrote:
[
(the early 70's were an interesting time for jungle fungal infections . . . you learn wot works and wot don't) . . . and I didn't say anything about self application now did I?

At risk of a coconutoilboarding crimes prosecution, does the soap have desirable anti-critter properties?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
comprex, Did you want to use the grey coloured DDT impregnated stuff? (there's got to be a storehouse still full of the crap). But XVC'oil is not a soap, just use it as an after-wash moisturiser or a little more generously on a fungal infection and it will cure it. It and TeaTree are the only natural products to treat fungal nail infections and XVCoconut oil can be used at full strength and will cure it if used diligently.
snow conditions
Masque, recommended use understood; my further understanding is that the desirable properties are from lauric acid in raw oil. At the risk of boring those who don't read the back of shampoo bottles, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lauric_acid so it would seem an odd circumstance that coconut oil soaps would not have a anti-microbial effect.

BTW, I do appreciate the mention of a product containing capric acid in a boot stink thread. Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
comprex, sorry I thought you were talking about the Gov.issue stuff that was basically a DDT delivery system. And this lot can barely read the front label of a beer bottle rolling eyes
I find it both sad and funny that people will spend stupid sums of money on pharmaceuticals that are a poor and barely effective shadow of their natural alternatives.
snow report
Jono, Just remember to get the products the right way round, and not to rub extra virgin coconut oil into your boot liners, and spray your nads with Febreeze. Else your mum really will have something to say. Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy