Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Finding your ski legs: what do you do?

Poster: A snowHead
Around about this time of year I have a recurring fear that in the six months since I last clicked into bindings I have somehow forgotten how to ski. This fear builds and builds as I get closer to the inaugural trip of the season, and that first ride up the chairlift is a pretty nerve-wracking experience. Each year I find that miraculously I haven't forgotten how to do it, but even for the first two or three hours I'm very timid until I've found my skilegs and begin to feel comfortable on snow. Does anybody else suffer this same fear (I'm sure there's a complex medical name for this condition), and what do you do to help you through that first morning of the season until you've found your skilegs? Do you ski slowly, quickly, exercises, ski without thinking, or something else?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rob@rar, your not alone on this. I've got the same fear of putting the boots on and forgetting everything. I find the nearest easy slope and then the fear goes away and all I want to do is go faster snowHead
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I don't anymore - I didn't ski for a period of 9 years and came back to it with no problems, a bit like riding a bike I suppose.

snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rob@rar, Stand up. Look down... yup .. still there snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
First morning I put my skis on I do wonder what will happen when I push off Shocked So far I've been okay...

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 31-10-06 20:53; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I always feel the same each year, then I get a few turns in & realise (usually with surprise/relief) that I can still do it.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rob@rar, Ski all the time, it works a treat Twisted Evil
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I never worry about it (because of stupidness, not confidence Very Happy ) and then find that while the first couple of runs may not be great, I can still do it. Mind you, last year my first run was a run which was icy and mogulled half-way down. That was a nice warm up to the week!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Usually takes me a day or two to get adjusted to being on skis and I often fall over leaning into the hill on an easy blue run till I get my ski legs back again. ( I then fall overtattempting something I cannot do like ski powder gracefully.)

No cure for it that I know of though.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rob@rar, Yup, every year, but last week it was a reality on the dry slope Sad If I hadn't been skiing at MK a few months back, I would now be thinking that I could no longer ski.

I always warm up on blues/easy reds for a couple of runs, before feeling confident enough to tackle anything harder - I would say it takes me 2 days to get back to where I was the previous season. Sometimes just getting used to using the lifts again is another hurdle too. Embarassed Laughing
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
A short spell of something easy, followed by an early stop for vin chaud and breathe in that mountain air. Chill. Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Actually, I also find a spot of visualisation helps, for a few nights beforehand. In bed. Eyes closed.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
One of my recurring memories is that the first piece of skiing each year will be the slide from the ramp at the top of the chair lift, and there is always that small irrational fear that I will forget how to turn - combine this with the fact that I will be putting on my gloves and have my poles under one arm at the time and you can see that there is quite a lot of room for neurotiscm
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I prefer to do a lesson before going skiing, that way I prectise my basics, and should be OK when I crank it up a bit. I also get a bit twitchy after my long breaks - 2 whole months this time. Boots feel too tight at first etc. etc.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I always take it easy on the first day by first skiing a blue/easy red. I used to force the first few turns of the season so now i spend the first few hours with my boots unbuckled. That way i cant force anything. It helps me find/rediscover centre of the skis, balance, pressure points and rhythm. Before it use to take me 4-5 days top get back to previous seasons form and now it takes 2-3 days.
snow conditions
I feel the same as rob@rar. I generally have a lesson on the first morning, and I think that helps.
ski holidays
After 2 weeks on snow when I was at school, I left it almost 14 years before I went skiing again. I went to our local dry slope, plonked myself on the nursery slope and crossed my fingers!

It was fine, and it only took a couple of hours before I was fully into the swing of things again. I'm a regular up there now just to keep everything 'honed'.

It's just like riding a bike. You'll know exactly what to do without even thinking about it!
snow report
It's more the first turn that scares me, remembering if I can turn Wink I remember going to Castleford in December after completing my third week skiing the previous March. I got to the top of the drag lift and went headfirst into the foam cushion at the top Laughing
ski holidays
I skied 111 days last season, went to Southampton dry slope a month ago and fell over on the first turn.....and then the second - ANNOYING
snow report
Like Sage and others above I didn't ski for a good few years - maybe 10 or more (I forget). Got back into it in the last year and it's rather like riding a bike, you don't forget!

I've kept my hand in over the summer with the odd trip to Tamworth and I don't have any particular worries about getting back on the mountains although like others I tend to take it easier for the first couple of days (and avoid the black runs) and build up my stamina and then go for it.

Have to admit that I'm amazed that I picked it up more or less where I was a decade ago but modern carving skis help and before the hiatus I'd skied regularly at weekends and other times from the age of 11 (growing up near Aviemore helped) and my earliest experiences on skis pre dated that by a few years (can't remember it but I have piccies of me at 2 and a half on wee planks Very Happy )
snow report
Charlatanefc, What a picture! Laughing For me (as a boarder) it is always the lifts that make me slightly nervy on the first day - scrambling on the ground is not an edifying start to the day!
snow conditions
PP,
Quote:

i spend the first few hours with my boots unbuckled

Interesting. Please elaborate as to why and how it all works for you
latest report
saxabar, I agree, The last couple of years we've been to a resort where it is the norm to carry your board up.
So I'm out of practice and just know the first one will result in me in a heap taking out anyone who happens to be near. Embarassed

As my boyfriend learnt to snowboard at this resort he has never had to get off a chairlift wearing his board.

This year we're off to Canada where he has to wear his board. I can see this being a complete disaster on the first chairlift of the day (and the second and the third!)
snow report
I try and avoid this by heading to Tamworth once a month of so. Still $hit myself at the top of that first run though!!!
latest report
Peter Leuzzi,
Quote:

Quote:

i spend the first few hours with my boots unbuckled

This exercise does two things. It makes you balance properly - no leaning against the boot, and (even better) it lets you flex your ankles properly....
snow report
I like to find a nice wide blue and do a few long turns, then short ones, then single leg traverses, and probably some 1000 step turns. Second run, I'll probably do the same, just a bit faster.
latest report
SnowboardVicky, It really is just a matter of confidence and timing isn't it. Also be sure your SO doesn't panic and decide to cling onto you - speaking from personal experience! Very Happy
snow conditions
pam w, I also try to visualise at bed-time, it helps me to get to sleep.

The only problem is that, in the lead-up to my skiing holiday I have a recurring dream that sees me at the resort but never able to ski - for a variety of reasons like no snow, no skis, forgotten my boots etc.

Luckily I've not had the one where I've forgotten to get derssed yet! Blush Shocked
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Now I always go to Milton Keynes snowdome, the week before I first go skiing.
I don't have doubts about piste skiing (or new powder if I'm so lucky), but my first turns off-piste (usually in my second descent) in what is usually old, heavy snow are always a bit doubtful (and thus tentative which is the worst thing to be) - its a very unforgiving medium - a bit of assumed skid on the turn and it doesn't work- you've got to be fully carving. Takes me most of the first day to get it back and feel I can tackle anything.
snow conditions
saxabar,
I hope it'll be fine. The chairlift is a four man and they have this great queuing system for making sure the lift always goes up full on the rare occasions it's busy.

As long as we pick a quiet moment and try and get the chairlift to ourselves it should be easier. However I know from experience that trying to get four people all off a chairlift when you need to ski/board off to one direction is a recipe for disaster.

If we survive that then the boarding should be easy !
ski holidays
Take a trip to Xscape a few weeks before, gets the gremlins out the system.
snow report
rob@rar, I know your fear, last season was the first time I'd been boarding for 5 years. I spent the whole time on the chairlift up from Plagne 1800 saying to watch out as I was definately going to fall over (the old snowbarder and lift thing), when we got to the top the whole thing went like a dream and I rode the 100m or so to the next one using the ESF kids group a slalom poles (without the bashing into them part Shocked ). The next lift was fine as well and I soon realised that I'd been worrying over nothing. We stuck to blues on the first day and there were a few falls but nothing too painful Smile. The next day we progressed to reds, and the day after blacks and a bit of off-piste, this year I'm much more confident so half-expect a nasty suprise Confused
snow conditions
Skilegs?

I tested them at Alpincentre Botrop (Germany) a few months ago. They worked, should still work Smile

I'll find out the 9th of december if I'm right snowHead
ski holidays
Ronald, you mean the supplement? Yeah, I've used them in the past. Seemed to work for me too.
ski holidays
Im poo-poo hot, no panic for me!
snow conditions
I think it depends on the kind of person you are. I have a friend who's a very experience/good skier but it always takes him a few runs to feel comfortable. Other, more naturally confident skiers, will ski the first turn like it's the end of a season.
In-line skates are a good way of getting the "feel" back...just make sure you're wearing all the pads etc! Laughing

rob@rar wrote:
Around about this time of year I have a recurring fear that in the six months since I last clicked into bindings I have somehow forgotten how to ski. This fear builds and builds as I get closer to the inaugural trip of the season, and that first ride up the chairlift is a pretty nerve-wracking experience. Each year I find that miraculously I haven't forgotten how to do it, but even for the first two or three hours I'm very timid until I've found my skilegs and begin to feel comfortable on snow. Does anybody else suffer this same fear (I'm sure there's a complex medical name for this condition), and what do you do to help you through that first morning of the season until you've found your skilegs? Do you ski slowly, quickly, exercises, ski without thinking, or something else?
ski holidays
SnowboardVicky, I've started a thread about getting off lifts in the snowboarding section.
ski holidays
Cracking post ...

If you ski in Argentier the only remedy is to forget about the gondolda and go up the wee chair.

Sit down there and talk to your mates. Get a semi heart attack when the chair does a right angle turn. Jebus .. close one, I managed to get my skis and poles up in time .. whew.

Have a chat ... How did that glove manage to get there ??? Do you reckon he'll get it back? It's a left glove too .. I'm missing a left glo ... fuggabahut ...

god is a skier

I'm coming over that wee crest where the sun finally hits ya. Oh jebus, pressure get the poles out from under the legs .. gloves on .. sweet, sorted ... get out of the chair .. shudas (chech lithuanian dcitionary - merde will work) forgot to do my boots ... LOOK MA ... i CAN STILL DO IT Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
Quote:

The only problem is that, in the lead-up to my skiing holiday I have a recurring dream that sees me at the resort but never able to ski - for a variety of reasons like no snow, no skis, forgotten my boots etc.

Yes, have that one lots of times. I'm always with a group and it's always my fault that nobody gets to ski. I also dream that I am on a really boring run, flat, low, no snow etc and I "know" that there is a much better area, quite close, that we should get up to, but we never make it.
latest report
rob@rar, I am just like you! This is despite living in Tamworth, and skiing through the Summer. The problem is that Tamworth isn't anything like the real thing and it is very unnerving to be able to see the sky and mountains and stuff. It is also, basically, a green/blue slope, and I get terrified I will have forgotten how to ski steep stuff and bumps.

I'm afraid that I head for an easy slope and ski at an easy pace, concentrating on technique. I absolutely ban myself from black slopes for the first day, and won't do reds until the afternoon. I can practice steeper pitches on blues before I really have to do steeper reds, and find this helps. I know people who just head for the nearest black run on the first morning, but I prefer to ski nicely on stuff I can cope with well, before trying more challenging slopes. If I started on something difficult and did them badly or fell over, this would ruin my confidence for the whole holiday.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy