Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What skis are better to teach carving?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I am looking for new skis for my wife. She stuck at “skidding” stage in her progress – she is quite comfortable on all blue slopes and can ski fast, but here technique… it could be better Smile. She turns with whole body and skids not carve. I know ski school is the best cure, but she needs new ski anyway.

What skis will help here to learn faster? She is 183 cm (6ft), weight about 67kg (148lb), but not very athletic.

Should I look for all-terrain women ski?
Should she stick with shorter skis, like 160cm or less?
Is more flex better?
Is narrower ski better?
What brands would be preferable?

Thanks a lot!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Narrower at the waist with a deeper sidecut will give you the best combination. If it's a bit soft in the length, that'll be helpful, too. Aspen has experimented with artificially narrow skis for teaching carving, and they have worked pretty well. Of course, they are terrible for any real skiing because they are too narrow.

I think a nice K2 One Luv or Tru Lov in a 153 would be nice. There are others like it, as well.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi,

Equipment. You can carve a turn on most any 'type' but there are those that make learning much easier. Look for piste skis and avoid Freestyle, Freeride, big mountain etc... Most brands have a piste skis group, just take your pick. If you can, test skis at the indoor slopes in the UK. Smile

Tuition I found the key to the technique was a private lesson much more than the equipment though. 2 hours, one on one, targeted at carving. This sowed the seeds for a basic technique. I take top-up or reminders each year, as techniques and methods change. With a Pvt lesson, there is no peer pressure, no getting lost in a group, no ill informed advice. Avoid the self teach route though, I found teaching a partner to ski is like teach them to drive, bound to end in frustration! Book her a pvt lesson, walk away and let the instructor get on with it.

Good luck!
snowHead
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy