Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Reviews: Nordica Mach 3 Power, Mach 3, Top Fuel, Jet Fuel

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
(Copy of my review in this thread on EpicSki.)

These skis are listed in the order that I skied them at Loveland on October 29th at the Pro Demo day, my first runs of this season.

Nordica Mach 3 Power (178):
After a quick run on my own skis, I jumped onto these after bong. He talked about how great they felt for him, and how they were like ice skates on the harder snow of Spillway. I skied them for two runs, and agreed with his initial assessment. These skis, as for all of the Nordicas I have skied, have an amazing mix of power and smoothness. The integrated binding system really works, and makes a difference in how the skis handle with various fore/aft balances.

I did take them into the bumps, as well, just to see how they would do there. For me on my first few runs of the season they were a bit on the long-and-stiff side for these hard early-season bumps. But, they didn't beat me up for it, either.

Up on edge, the skis carved solid longer arcs, and I could push them into somewhat tighter arcs, as well, with higher angles and more speed. This is a lotta ski, but not overwhelming in the least. More a GS feel due to the length and the sidecut.

Nordica Top Fuel (170):
Last year's buzz ski returns this year unchanged, and it's still an excellent everyday ski, especially I think for Rocky Mountain skiers and those who prefer a little more beef under foot (78mm). The ski is surprisingly nimble for a mid-fat, has a solid edge for the hardpack, and motors through irregularities, smoothing out the ride.

These skis carve well, and at this length are a great all-around ski for those who mix their skiing on- and off-piste. This is a very common everyday ski around here.

Nordica Jet Fuel (170):
Take the Top Fuel, add some more width, and you have the Jet Fuel. I could feel the width when I worked the ski edge-to-edge, but it didn't give up anything in performance. Even more than the Top Fuel it blasted through irregular snow like it wasn't even there. It still has great edge hold, arcs well, and has that Nordica feel. I didn't have to work the ski, and it didn't work me. A bit heavier feeling than the Top Fuel, but a great wider mid-fat (84mm).

This ski is definitely worth a look if you tend to ski more off-piste and/or in areas that see a lot of fresh snow. I can see those in the coast ranges and Utah enjoying these even on days when a lot of folks are on fatties, and they still rip on groomers.

Nordica Mach 3 (170):
The less-demanding Mach 3 has the same characteristics as the Mach 3 Power, only without the layer of metal. The binding rails are actually routed into the core, giving a very integrated feel to the ski; I felt like the ski responded very well to my more subtle movements. In the bumps they performed the best of any of these skis (to be expected since they are narrower and a bit softer than these others), and they held extremely well on the harder snow for this level of ski.

I can see this as a great ski for an improving skier, or for a high-end skier who prefers a ski that offers a bit more forgiveness. If I pushed them really hard, though, I could begin to feel the edge of their performance range.

Nordica Mach 3 Power (170):
I skied this last spring at the Nordica Race Camp at Copper, and was looking forward to getting on them again. In this length, they are a solid "combi" ski, offering performance between the GS feel of the 178 and a SL ski. Like the 178, this ski was like an ice skate on the hardpack, but offered a better ride for me in the bumps. I ripped top-to-bottom on them for a couple of runs, and found them solid on the hardpack, fun on the softer snow, able to arc a wide variety of turn shapes, and stable at speed. They responded well to both arc-to-arc and drifted turns, and showed a lot of energy released at the end of the turn.

For skiers who spend more time on-piste or who like to ski in the snow off-piste rather than on it, this would also be a solid, high-performance primary ski, and a great compliment to a fatty for multi-ski quivers.

Details of the day and the skier:
Some photos of the day thanks to Faisasy here.

Conditions:
Excellent early season snow at Loveland, ranging from bumps to softer snow, especially at trail edges and near the base. Every run was up lift 1, down Spillway to Richard's Run and Home Run.

My specs: 6’, 170lbs. male, 36th season skiing, PSIA level II cert. Ski reasonably fast, love to turn, enjoy the “arc and spark”, and powder. Gearhead.

My own equipment: new pre-fitting Nordica Aggressor 150 boots, 162cm Atomic Metron m:b5 skis, Leki AERO Viper Trigger poles, Marker helmet and goggles.

This review consists of my thoughts and impressions of these skis. As all should know, ski impressions are driven by personal preference, technique, preferred sensations, and so on. Some have said that we prefer skis that mask our technique issues. Probably true. We also probably prefer those that our technique can really use. So, this is not doctrine. Simply what I think about what I felt.

Skiing style/technique: I have asked some ski instructors and race coaches to describe my skiing to give you an idea of my technical ability. Here's what they had to say: "dynamic, smooth, efficient. Good turn completion. Occasional tendency not to move down the hill on initiation that is easily corrected when you think about it." "...skiing looked generally quite good. You seem to ski a pretty aggressive line and generally in balance. Your turns are generally carved, even on the pitches. The thing I did notice that I would comment on if I were coaching you was a stance that seemed a bit narrow, and a turn initiation that seemed a bit steery." "...you are a technically strong, aggressive skier with a bias toward power rather than finesse. Smooth and fast!!" All that said, I felt pretty out of my element in the gates today, so do not take these insights as coming from a hard-charging gate-basher...

Preference in skis: If you consider the skis that I prefer, you'll see that I like 'em light and lively. I like a lot of snow feel and energy in the ski. I prefer a slalom racing ski feel for my personal skis, and I love the carve.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy