Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which side of the road are you supposed to ski on?

Poster: A snowHead
If people skied on the right side of the piste, or the left side of the piste for that matter, then maybe there would be fewer collisions.

This photo shows someone who's got the right idea.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
David Goldsmith, the problem is when someone realises they've gone too far and reverses back to the spot where they wanted to stop. Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
And why not make a snow park just that, somewhere for boarders to park themselves rather than on the piste? Maybe a bit like this. Note the considerate mountain users to the left and the not so to the right....
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
This recalls the conundrum of which side of the road to drive on in unmarked border regions of Sweden and Norway when Swedes drove on the left and Norwegians on the right. As the Swedes maintained that it is always sunny in Sweden they drove on the left until it started to rain, when they moved to the right!

Are there any Norwegians who might like to comment on this?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Martin Nicholas, I flew into Malmo yesterday and am currently in Copenhagen. Would you like a more neutral Danish perspective on this?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
David- why not have, at busy junctions, some traffic lights. This sounds (and is) ridiculous but it could prevent many of the skier to skier pile ups that frequently occur at these danger spots. A sort of Highway Code for the piste, I suggest; ski on the left, stop at the lights and keep your distance. Actually, it all makes perfect sense but I daresay this sort of on piste discipline might be a little much for our Gallic friends across the water....

By the way, hope you had a good season!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
David, I hope a visit to the Carlsberg brewery is on your agenda and you can't leave Copenhagen without going to Tivoli.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
David. Yes and definitely, respectively. I'm so thrilled with this place I might open a Copenhagen thread. What other city is so fun-oriented, and tolerant, that it has a permanent funfare nest to the main station, and a hippy community on an island in the city centre?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kevin mcclean wrote:
David- why not have, at busy junctions, some traffic lights.
Is this the first of your trolls on here, Kevin? You can do better than that snowHead too
I don't go for the lights but a Green Cross Code could be a good idea. At the bottom of the Luc Alphand Piste in Serre Chevalier at least one green run through the trees pops out onto a wide, flat black and traverses right across it. Deadly late afternoon when everyone is on their last run down.

Green Cross = Right of Way over the black run bombadiers !!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
A subway might be safer.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
They could use our system - signs saying "pistes crossing, slow down" in 3 languages - result - everyone skis faster. I think they're hoping to bounce off all the other skiers and boarders?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I think some of the problems associated with skier to skier collisions can be attributed to poor piste design, though I do not for one moment wish to play down the importance of personal responsibility and respect for others. We have all been to plenty of resorts where we have seen sheer lunacy, especially at the end of the day when everyone is rushing back for an overpriced lager. Especially prevalent in mega resorts are those runs that seem to criss-cross each other and, particularly during peak periods, collisions (and very nasty ones) are more than likely. As I say, personal responsibility and respect for others are the key to safety on the slopes, though things could be improved if slope authorities design pistes that can, if possible, make the likelihood of skier to skier crunches less.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
David Goldsmith wrote:
A subway might be safer.

A Full Pipe perhaps. Not so silly as it sounds. And it's fun sking through tunnels or under bridges.

Kevin - I'm with you there. It's not so bad when pistes of the same colour merge like a Y as most people on them will be of similar ability and could be expected to be at about the same speed. But when greens cross blacks that's a recipe for disaster. Unfortunately at Serre Che there isn't much alternative to getting back to Chantemerle. It is of course the responsibility of the faster skier coming from above to take avoiding action but the discrepancies in speed, line and awaredness are so great crashes are inevitable. Some day some one will sue the resort and then it will get interesting.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
What about blocking with netting when pistes cross? I've been places where most of the width of the piste is blocked by orange netting with a small gap at the edge. You ski through the gap, then have to make a sharp 90 degree turn because there is another orange net in front of you. So you have to traverse across the slope to the gap in this second stretch of netting, which is on the opposite side of the piste. Result? It slows you down considerably and the only thing you can bump into is the netting.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yes Maggi, I've seen that employed in some resorts and it does bring people to a halt. The only problem is that speedsters see it as a temptation to go as fast as they can and then break sharply to negotiate the 'traffic calming' measure; in that sense it's almost analagous to speed cameras and how drivers 'weigh anchor' at the very last moment. I guess it's an issue of skier education and consideration. But speed cameras for skiers-now there's an idea.........
latest report
kevin mcclean wrote:
But speed cameras for skiers-now there's an idea.........

.....until the more idiotic use the cameras to officially log how fast they can ski.... Wink

The run into Chantemerle isn't the only example there. The Casse du Boeuf black into Villeneuve is crossed at a number of points by a fairly fast blue (Marteau). And the Bez (red) down into Le Bez is frequently dissected by the Route de Frejus.
snow report
How about less piste grooming, aren't moguls just natural "speed humps" Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Bloody hell, mesk1 has the answer! Turn the whole mountain into one enormous mogul field-the ultimate speed calming device! What do we think about that piece of ingenuity?
ski holidays
Dunno, how fast can you ski on your ass?
ski holidays
Well, Maggi let's put it this way: I have been known to get down mogul slopes quicker than any instructor when I adopt the aerodynamic ass tuck...and I always have a smile at the bottom of the run!
latest report
I am a bit more freestyle when it comes to going down mogul fields quickly - so I admire your control Kevin!
ski holidays
mesk1 wrote:
How about less piste grooming, aren't moguls just natural "speed humps" Madeye-Smiley
Yes - as Kevin says the ultimate speed calming device for the average competent skier or boarder. But very far from calming for beginners who will not be able to tackle them at all.
Where you've got blacks / reds crossing leaving a few bumps would be a most effective slow down tactic. But it's not the answer to the greens and blues crossing steeper pistes near the bottom of the slopes where everything converges in some resorts..
ski holidays
kevin mcclean,
Quote:

I adopt the aerodynamic ass tuck

Wish I had an aerodynamic ass Embarassed
latest report
maggi, one like this perhaps ????
snow report
kuwait_ian, Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley
snow report
I think kevin is onto something and a natural side effect would be no boarders to run into skiers either Twisted Evil

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Tue 3-08-04 15:33; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
A few of these perhaps. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
And no orange padding on the posts - just to emphasise the point.
latest report
Maggi, my areodynamic ass has been honed by the use of a wind-tunnel-this allows me to adopt the stance of least resistance (especially after a few beers)!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy