Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Salomon Foil's - Binding Question

Poster: A snowHead
I'm looking to get into my first pair of twin tips this season. I've got my eyes on the new Salomon 1080 Foil's. I'm questioning what binding to go with. The Salomon Z10 Ti B90 or the Z12 Ti B90. I weigh about 190lbs and I'm a fairly aggressive all mountain skier. One of the guys at my local shop recommended the Z10 because it's not a raised binding. He claimed that most skiers prefer a non-raised binding on twin tip skies. Is this accurate?

Looking for any advice or other recommendations. Thanks.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The Z10 & Z12 are the same binding with a different DIN rating. The riser plate should be available for both bindings and therefore both should be available without the plate.

If it was me I wouldn't want a riser plate on a twin tip. The only time you would want a riser plate is with a ski designed for serious carving. You'll get a better feel and response without a riser.

Work out what your DIN is and get the binding that suits your DIN setting... you want to be as close to middle of the DIN range as possible.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
BSM413, Look out for some old S912 or the New Atomic FFG 14. Both these bindings are stronger in terms of build. Little Angel
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
unless you have huge feet i.e boot sole length of 330mm or more Salomon would recomend the Z12 as parlour is correct in saying you want to be as close to the middle of the DIN range as possible. At your weight and skiing ability level your DIN will be around 7 or 8 or more if your boot sole length is very short and as the Z12 runs from a 4 to 12 this should be perfect. As for the riser plates I would say that you don't need them.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I agree with the others - don't put risers on twins!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Oh and welcome to snowHead, BSM413!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
In general, don't put risers on twins. Pretty good advice. Especially if you're using them for the park etc.

However I've always put a Tyrolia CP13 plate on my twins, I find the benefit of more leverage available to get the skis onto a high edge angle on the groomers outweigh the (perceived) disadvantages of the 13mm height when skiing steeps, powder etc.

Maybe it's me but I find the riser plate OK, but I guess if I'm doing rails more often I'd prefer my feet flat on the ski. But as an all mountain setup with the plate it seems to work for me fine.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
veeeight, Is that a freeflex plate?

SMALLZOOKEEPER, I'd be very interested in hearing your experience with the the S912 compared to the Z12. Have you seen any emperical evidence that the z12's build quality is worse in terms of breakage or pre-release? The jury still seems to be out on them, but very few people seem to have ridden them so far.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
skibomb, Yes.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
veeeight, Is there a reason you use a freeflex plate rather than railflex. Does one allow the ski to flex better than the other in your experience?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
skibomb, Cos I'm mounting a FF+17 binding? Very Happy I've always had FF bindings (or Mojo15 bindings) - not had Railflex bindings.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skibomb, It's too fragile. I cant see the new plastic cap holding out too well, at least not here. I wont be able to shed any further light on them as we wont be stocking them, we bought up all Salomons stock of S912. Toofy Grin
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
SMALLZOOKEEPER, I think the only advantage is that the Z12 won't suffer from wing drift.
Having looked at the Z series, maybe it's just the graphics on them, but they do look a bit bling/AFCNK
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wear The Fox Hat, They're substantially lighter as well.

SMALLZOOKEEPER, You mean the carbon fiber in the toe piece? I haven't seen any in person yet, although I am considering adding a pair to my collection.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The one good thing about the Z bindings IMO is that thar horrid spheric ball thing has gone.
ski holidays
veeeight, The S914 still exists, now without the ball.
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, if it's got no balls, does that make it girlie bindings?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy