Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Why do they have to go and ruin it?

Poster: A snowHead
No names or pack drill but the f*ckin' Sunday Times recommends one of our recent favourite finds to the general public.

Isn't that so annoying?

Hey ho, bought the season pass yesterday. Can't be all bad then, can it? Laughing Laughing

Back on topic: "Cham(?)'s glam makeover"??

Do 2 or 3 urban style bars qualify as a makeover? Will "No Escape" survive the winter? Will I ever be able to afford to drink (properly) in there? Will I ever want to?

Please, please, please can I have a job as a ski journalist? It would be sooooo nice to give up work.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Many places recommended Gressoney/Alagna as one of the "undiscovered" resorts a few years back, I may be wrong, but I think it made sod all difference to the amount of visitors there!!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
David Murdoch, here is the link to the article.
The name of the ski journalist and the travel agency is given.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
David Murdoch, not sure what you mean
Quote:

Sunday Times recommends one of our recent favourite finds to the general public.
It was about Chamonix, there wasn't a single mention of La Rosiere in the article at all wink
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
David Murdoch, I don't think it matters wht the papers say really. However it's the TOs that make the difference. Very strangely I hear that Chamrousse is desparate to manage the 100K of pistes that is requires (might have been Davidof who told me - can't remember). Do they know what they're doing? Swapping their lovely french family atmosphere for the lager louts? Puzzled
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ray Zorro, Keep up La Ros is so, yesterday! Laughing Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kitenski, that's cos it was "undiscovered" for a reason - and that hasn't changed...

Ray Zorro, Laughing Laughing

easiski, It probably doesn't, and if having a "ClubHouse" in town means more people want to come stay with us (for the avoidance of doubt that's Saturday to Saturday Evil or Very Mad , just cos the flights cheap doesn't mean the accomodation will be ...) then so much the better.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
This is the same article that said that snowboarding is "so over" and that if
Quote:
it’s jumps, twists and stunts that you’re after, then the truly hip are reverting to skis; twintip skis, shorter, wider, with upturned ends. Salomon’s Pocket Rockets are the twintip of choice.

Puzzled
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:
Salomon’s Pocket Rockets are the twintip of choice.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rob@rar,

I have to say skiers look so much better in the air than most snowboarders and the gap only narrows at competition level, IMO.
Having said, a snowborder in hard boots laying done big carves is one of THE best sights on the hill
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
JT, I agree on both points (airborne snowboarders look a bit ungainly; and seeing a good snowboarder carving down the hill, laying their hip on the snow at every turn). But to say that snowboarding is "so over" is ridiculous hyperbole that we see all the time from journalists.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rob@rar, When I first read that snowboarding is so over I was a bit miffed but then I thought so what, it's not like I'm doing it to be fashionable. I don't think much attention is paid to these articles at all; I believe most people choose a resort based on personal recomendation or reading brochures/guides to find somewhere that suits what they want. There will always be a few idiots that want to go to the in-place but then they'll be gone by next season. These people will be easily identifed as they leave their Salomon’s Pocket Rockets at the door of the crystal museum.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Took the kids to the crystal museum last year. They enjoyed it but not sure I'd want to write home about it!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kitenski wrote:
Many places recommended Gressoney/Alagna as one of the "undiscovered" resorts a few years back, I may be wrong, but I think it made sod all difference to the amount of visitors there!!
That was at least 12 years ago. The thing that has made the difference to visitor nombers has been the new cable car and (even more) giving the resort a piste. However this latter has been exactly the innovation which has ruined it for many, carving up the main, previously pristine valley.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
David Murdoch,
Anybody who is not already aware of chamonix, must have been dead for the last 30 years (or smoking "new" Labours legalised canabis) snowHead
latest report
pistemeister, I think you're missing the point.

I am very pleased to have more people wanting to come to Chamonix, especially if they want to stay in one of my fine apartments.

No, the devil is in the detail. There are far too few restaurants in the Alps that don't offer a complete menu that consists of 4 ingredients (ham, cheese, potatoes, bread). If you're lucky sometimes they even mix them up on the same plate! Twisted Evil

So when someone goes and provides some excellent fusion food with a bit of a Scandic Asian mix going on then we should be very grateful and not tell everyone about it! If you want to eat excellent funky food, do it at home where you probably have a choice. Be real, on your chalet girls night off you want cheese and lots of it. Leave the funky fusion stuff to those who do not have a lot of choice on the eating out front.

Have you ever tried to find decent crispy duck & pancakes in Geneve/Haute Savoie/Alps/etc.?

Luckily they didn't mention the other best restaurant in Chamonix.
ski holidays
Maybe I did not read it carefully enough, but to answer your question I would not try to find crispy duck and pancakes anywhere........ ever! snowHead
snow conditions
David Murdoch, i have never seen a write-up of my favourite restaurant in chamonix, the p##### a## q##### s######. can't understand it - although you wouldn't expect a journo whose research leads them to believe that the pocket rocket is this year's ski of choice in chamonix to find anywhere that requires any work/initiative at all
latest report
JT, Have to agree, proper laid down carves are a sight to behold. Have a mate who rides a piste board, complete with a full face moto-X style helmet Twisted Evil . We were having a blast one day, and on our way down into Courcheval 1800 passed an ESF guy out on his board. Not wanting to be 'out cooled' he quickly pulled alongside my mate and with a nod to each other off they went trying to out do each other with the most outrageous laydowns you have ever seen Shocked and I had the best seat in the house Toofy Grin.
The ESF guy only managed to finally outdo my mate by pulling a full laid down 360 to come to a halt right outside the restaurants. Another quick nod to each other and we all went our separate ways. Fantastic Very Happy
Oh I have to point out that I was trying to join in but can't quite get the old hip down just yet, atleast not not on my Atomic SX11s Embarassed
snow report
Big G, Great story. Wish I had been there to see it.
ski holidays
Arno, Surely you mean the "P***** d** Q***** S****** Cool
latest report
LARGEZOOKEEPER, I am sure you mean : L* P***** d** Q***** S****** Toofy Grin
ski holidays
LARGEZOOKEEPER, Frosty the Snowman, gah! couldn't remember whether it was a## or d##
ski holidays
pistemeister, c'mon, there are surely times in your life (Sunday evening after a looonngg weekend) where nothing else will satisfy other than a fine plate of well lacquered wildfowl and a pile of delicate little pancakes just waiting to be drowned in plum sauce?

Arno, it's described as "savoyarde" isn't it? Does one get to eat anything other than sa majesté le cochon et ses fromages?
latest report
David Murdoch, I'd miss curry more I think.
ski holidays
David Murdoch wrote:
pistemeister, c'mon, there are surely times in your life (Sunday evening after a looonngg weekend) where nothing else will satisfy other than a fine plate of well lacquered wildfowl and a pile of delicate little pancakes just waiting to be drowned in plum sauce?

Saliva has dripped onto my desk.
latest report
David Murdoch, not been for a while but i generally end up having foie gras followed by fillet steak. things are usually a bit fuzzy by the time dessert is served... they also have a nice selection of malts Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
David Murdoch wrote:

Luckily they didn't mention the other best restaurant in Chamonix.

I wouldn't quite call Belouga a restaurant wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Arno wrote:
they also have a nice selection of malts Madeye-Smiley

But not as good as mine Toofy Grin
ski holidays
fatbob, I think he meant the one with the big M outside Twisted Evil
latest report
fatbob, we all know it's still the best
latest report
snowball, Very Happy Smile Blush Shocked
snow report
LARGEZOOKEEPER, no the f*ckin Sunday Times already mentioned Munchies.
ski holidays
David Murdoch wrote:
Have you ever tried to find decent crispy duck & pancakes in Geneve/Haute Savoie/Alps/etc.?

There's a nice chinese restaurant in Bourg St Maurice which does good crispy duck Smile
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Arno, you need a better disguise, unless you're calling DM a basket case Laughing
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy