Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Whistler Separatists (The W Team)

Poster: A snowHead
geetee,
Don't worry MrsH has a new camera so we'll send you some piccies NehNeh snowHead
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
geetee, I trying to think were it is, fall away sounds about right, it was quite steep i dont no whether it was because it flattenened out at the bottom which made it look steeper or not, I'll have a look at a trail map when i get home. I think i no where you mean by the sewers! theres a mean smell, were the blue runs alongside, just before the flat where a few pisteurs are stored.
Butt rub mayo's a winner with a portion of wedges, and a jug of kokanee! Laughing

300 Hundred...or so sleeps to go Sad

veeeight, That guys crazy, with his little tuff goaty in the middle of his chin! Very Happy Had a good 2 hour lesson with him in Supergroups, he gave me a few pointers to work on, but to be honest i was glad to just get pushed to my limits! Laughing
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
stuarth, piccies?! Nah! I want full action video and I think you should be the one to film it. A bit like this one....

http://youtube.com/v/ZnC0d49BM54

and without breaking MrsH's new camera! Laughing
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Of course MrsH could film you too but don't do anything like the fall at around 3:48 Shocked
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
geetee wrote:
stuarth, piccies?! Nah! I want full action video and I think you should be the one to film it. A bit like this one....

http://youtube.com/v/ZnC0d49BM54

and without breaking MrsH's new camera! Laughing

Got to get me one of those headcam thingies - not sure MrsH would take kindly to me duct taping her new camera to my head though!! wink
I shall then go and launch that cornice at the top of flute. Cool

geetee wrote:
Of course MrsH could film you too but don't do anything like the fall at around 3:48 Shocked

You call that a fall - it was but a mere wobble!! Real falls have at least 6 cartwheels snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
stuarth wrote:

it was but a mere wobble!!

Puzzled He lost both skis!!! Laughing maybe there was a gopher trap wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
geetee wrote:
stuarth wrote:

it was but a mere wobble!!

Puzzled He lost both skis!!! Laughing maybe there was a gopher trap wink

They seem to be everywhere in Whistler - can't think how they got there? Mr Fafferson? Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Going skiing this weekend to resort X in Canada, followed by 2 weeks at resort W. wink

Here's the Air Canada film guide: the Gardian (is this spelt right? I just copy and pasted it!), To Catch a Thief, The Illusionist

The question is, do I need to take a good book? Smile

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 23-02-07 11:22; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Oh dear, not looking good is it? Will Mr Snowy be of any use in the "keeping you entertained" dept? If not, probably 2 good books.

Failing that, 1 sleeping tablet and 2 G&T's works a treat Embarassed
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Robbie wrote:
Will Mr Snowy be of any use in the "keeping you entertained" dept?

Mr Snowy isn't the most talkative traveller ever.

As soon as he gets on the plane he plugs himself in and I don't hear a peep from him for 10 hours....not that I'm complaining!! Laughing

I'll take 2 books then. Smile
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
tee hee hee, yes that might be a good thing wink
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Snowy, I would have quite liked to see The Illusionist - it looked interesting. However, S was awake at the time and jumping about so there was no point in having a set of headphones on. rolling eyes
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
geetee wrote:
[ (by the way, I'm little S's mum in case you didn't know)

Big S has got her self some new skis now, and she's wimping out of coming cat skiing with us on Monday! rolling eyes

On another note, Liam you know Dusty's sell a big tube of butt rub, so you can make you own mayo when you go home? It's like $9! Very Happy

Anybody fancy a ski on Tuesday-Thursday?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ben133, Yes I heard about big S's Super Head XRC 1100's! Very Happy Say hi to her for me. By the way, are you going to be watching the game later? Mr Geetee is Welsh and we have a Welsh friend coming over for dinner so no prizes for guessing what's going to be on our telly!

Oh and yes I would love to go for a ski but I have to work Tues - Thurs rolling eyes Laughing
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
geetee, I'd love to watch the game but I'm in work Sad Need to find out what night Merlin's are showing the repeat. Been entertaining watching the text updates on the Irish game. Be suprised how many Canadians tihnk they're Irish rolling eyes
ski holidays
Hope you don't mind me diving into this thread but I'm now starting to get really excited, only 2 more work days 2go until my wife and I take our first trip to Whistler on Wed. Madeye-Smiley

I'm interested to know if any other snowHead have taken boots as hand luggage with AirCanada from Heathrow? I usually check them in, but as we've got a connection from Manchester with BMI, I've decided this is the one thing I can't risk leaving to the vagaries of the Heathrow baggage system, missing ski's can be rented, and I'm prepared to ski in underpants if clothes go missing..... Laughing We've packed them in rucksacks, the size and weight meet AirCanada's specifications but I'm worried they might have some bizarre objection to boots as hand luggage, a la easyjet?

I was also wondering what would be a good itinerary for a warm up day on Thursday, we've booked into Supergroup on Friday (need to work on my offpiste and I'm hoping the conditions are as awesome as they look) and Dave Murray Camps from Monday.
snow report
BG, I bet you're excited - you are going to have great conditions! The temps are down and the forecast is for snow from top to bottom.

We flew Air Canada in January but checked in our boots. To be honest for us it would have been a faff to try and carry them as we've got a 3 year old and end up carrying loads of bits and pieces for her plus Mr Geetee had to carry his laptop. We would have been over the allowance. I don't think they'll kick up a fuss and they certainly didn't pay too much attention to our hand luggage at check-in. What were you going to put your boots in?

Seeing as you're going to do a Supergroup on the Friday, I would think that it would make sense to go up Blackcomb mountain and have a play up there on the Thursday. What do you like skiing? Trees, bumps, piste?

The Murray Camp is great fun - we did 3 when we were there in January. There's some photos and stuff at Dave Murray
ski holidays
Geetee

Thanks for the advice - we're going to put them in rucksacks, as firstly they don't look like 'boot bags' and secondly to meet the size limit the boots go flat, top to tail rather than side by side if you know what I mean wink .

As for the skiing, for our first day we'd prob like to start with some fast piste runs to get the legs back then I'd like to find some confidence building off piste, I read somewhere that Blackcomb Glacier might fit the bill but think I understand that you need to hike / walk up to access it? which sounds a bit like serious backcountry or am I way off mark?
latest report
It 'can' be serious backcountry just ask Paul lol. I'd recomend Whistler, Franz's Meadows is a niceoff-pise tree run and there's all of symphony and harmony to play in. Runs such as bear cub are fun to hoon down (ok it's a green, but it's nice and wide and a good place to practise turns) or there's Dave Murry Downhill.
snow report
Ben133, Yeah i agree with you, some nice cruising around there, all the way down to creekside, nice blue/ greens all fast enough piste to get warmed up on. Maybe head up the peak chair and do the peak to creek, usually fairly quiet and a great run down to creekside, definatley long enough to gets those legs warmed up! Shocked

BG, Your so lucky! Twisted Evil Laughing
snow report
BG, Regarding the glacier, its not really much of a hike, once you get to the top of the Showcase T-Bar, traverse across to your right and its literally a 15metre uphill slope. Simple really.
ski holidays
Well that's 4 less work hours to go, I spent the morning 'delegating' my workload for the next week and a half, in preparation for Wed's big off

Liam, Ben133, thanks for the advice we'll defiantly give bear paw, peak to creek and Dave Murray Downhill a look.

Liam thanks for the steer on the glacier; I'm pretty sure even Mr's BG can be persuaded to hike up 15metre's

We're staying at the Aspens at the base of Blackcomb so I think we'll probably head up Blackcomb on Thursday morning - I'm sure I read that there's some permanent GS gates up on Blackcomb that are free to use and give your time - that sounds right up my street. Whilst I'm on the subject I followed geetee's link to the Dave Murray Camps and noticed that probably 90% of the people in the photo galley had helmets on. I'm taking my helmet but would only usually don it when hitting the gates, Mr's BG is helmet-less (obviously Laughing ) and she's getting worried that she might stand out from the crowd without one, (heaven forbid! Toofy Grin ). I'm sure we can pick her up one whist we're there, I was just wondering weather helmets were fairly universal in Whistler or not?
latest report
BG, I wear a helmet, and TBH wouldnt risk not wearing it now, even just for a cruise, knowing my luck i'll have an accident! I would definatley say that to all the resorts ive been to Whistler would have been the most " universal ", I'd say 80-90% of people wear helmets- they can be picked up cheap- and theres loads of choice in Whistler, I went with my parents and they currently dont wear helmets after returning from Whistler they said they will definatley buy one for next time.
ski holidays
Quote:

wondering weather helmets were fairly universal in Whistler or not?

Yes.

You can quite easily spot the punter Brit on holiday, they are the ones without the helmets and without goggles.... Laughing
snow conditions
BG, Mr Geetee and I bought our helmets 3 years ago when we did our first Dave Murray camp and I always wear one now. It feels odd not wearing one, a bit like not wearing a seatbelt in the car and I like that it keeps my ears warm and my goggles never fog up! We got Giro Fuse's where you can open up the vents by just flicking a sort of slider switch so if you do happen to get too hot you can cool off with a bit less hassle.

By the way, Liam said Bear Cub (which is a nice easy green) not Bear Paw which is black and has a tricky sharp right with an island in the middle towards the end and you should be careful if you're bombing down it. That said, Whistler mountain has some excellent cruising runs and you should definitely try the Dave Murray Downhill from top (just off the top of Garbanzo chair) to bottom.

Have a fantastic trip. Very Happy
snow report
veeeight wrote:
Quote:

wondering weather helmets were fairly universal in Whistler or not?

Yes.

You can quite easily spot the punter Brit on holiday, they are the ones without the helmets and without goggles.... Laughing

veeight
Wow I've always aspired to be a punter - do you think the head to toe in North Face carrying Rossi B2's look is in this year? Laughing

geetee oops - need to make sure I get my bear paws and cub's in a row Embarassed
It's gonna be kind of wierd not applying our usual franglais or anglo-german (sorry I don't know the franglais equivalent for German) to the piste (I mean trail) names Smile
snow report
BG wrote:
Hope you don't mind me diving into this thread but I'm now starting to get really excited, only 2 more work days 2go until my wife and I take our first trip to Whistler on Wed. Madeye-Smiley

I'm interested to know if any other snowHead have taken boots as hand luggage with AirCanada from Heathrow? I usually check them in, but as we've got a connection from Manchester with BMI, I've decided this is the one thing I can't risk leaving to the vagaries of the Heathrow baggage system, missing ski's can be rented, and I'm prepared to ski in underpants if clothes go missing..... Laughing We've packed them in rucksacks, the size and weight meet AirCanada's specifications but I'm worried they might have some bizarre objection to boots as hand luggage, a la easyjet?

I was also wondering what would be a good itinerary for a warm up day on Thursday, we've booked into Supergroup on Friday (need to work on my offpiste and I'm hoping the conditions are as awesome as they look) and Dave Murray Camps from Monday.

No problem with boots on air canada MrsH took them with her on saturday.

Oh and despite being the hardest place on earth to get to, Red Mountain absolutely rocks - not sure I'll bother heading back to Whistler next week wink (well if Air Canada Jazz, Cancelgar airport, minature taxi (singular as there is only one in the whole area), and the weather have anything to do with it we wont get much choice!)
snow report
Went cat skiing on Powder Mountain today...oh...my...god! Amazing! Salomon Guns rule!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Stuarth thanks for the confimation on the boots with Air Canada. Only 5 more hours at work to go..... Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Ben133 wrote:
Went cat skiing on Powder Mountain today...oh...my...god! Amazing! Salomon Guns rule!

Good day for it.

I ripped it up on multiple laps all over (around) blackcomb in powder today. I shall post a disease ridge video when my poor laptop works out how to talk to my new HD video camera.
ski holidays
Aren't you supposed to be practising your wedge turns? NehNeh
ski holidays
few pics from my trip that ended on 25th Feb

snow conditions
paulhothersall, I see that you've recovered from your night in a snowHole?
snow report
veeeight wrote:
Aren't you supposed to be practising your wedge turns? NehNeh

dammit knew i forgot something....although with the snow right now, powder practice might have been the best option.

Wish me luck?
snow conditions
Kramer wrote:
snow report
Kramer wrote:

maybe.
latest report
paulhothersall, Well lets hope so. Sounds interesting. Any advice to share?
snow report
rayscoops, Nice Pics, is the first one looking down to creekside?
latest report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
paulhothersall, Well lets hope so. Sounds interesting. Any advice to share?

don't be the only one in a group with avalanche gear?

ensure that you don't give away your gatorade/snacks to some F£!kwit who then leaves you and the group to fend for yourselves.

turn back when in fog, or wait for it to clear else you will likely miss the "critical turn"

if in trouble, stay calm, head for low ground, and build a good shelter.

Finally don't listen to the "can't cope any more" guy, when after (solo) hiking up to get radio reception to patrol that you can see the highway about 1km (max) away that you need a "rescue".

Seriously though, the right thing was done by staying together and not leaving anyone behind.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 9-03-07 15:03; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Liam, yes, when on Whistler that was my first run of choice so I could have the full breakfast at Dusty's Ar@se Very Happy quality
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy