Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Whistler Separatists (The W Team)

Poster: A snowHead
http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/todo/events/detail/avalanche.htm
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Start off with the free Avalanche Awareness Tours at the top of Blackcomb on Weds (I think) - enquire at the Guest Relations desk at the Blackcomb Daylodge.

Then enquire at The Escape Route in the Marketplace for their 2 day Recreational Avalance Awareness Course.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Robbie, veeeight, thanks for that, I think it is important to be aware of your environment and not just the bars wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
WElcome. The free tour is a good place to start.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
veeeight wrote:
Start off with the free Avalanche Awareness Tours at the top of Blackcomb on Weds (I think) - enquire at the Guest Relations desk at the Blackcomb Daylodge.

Then enquire at The Escape Route in the Marketplace for their 2 day Recreational Avalance Awareness Course.

As veeeight says.

The recreational avalanche course is pretty full on (actually 2.5 days as the first part is an evening theory session), the first whole day is particularly long (start at 8, tranceiver practice, tour around, dig some pits, then classroom session until late in the evening), but it is an excellent and very interesting/worthwhile course.
http://www.whistlerguides.com/winter/avalanche_safety/skiers.htm
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I keep meaning to go on one of these but never got around to it.

http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/todo/events/detail/avalanche.htm
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
gosh - loads of people beat me to it rolling eyes
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
will deffo do the free tour first and maybe think about the 2.5 day course because it is quite an expensive trip and only 8 days on the snow so I would prefer to be boarding. Not at the stage where I have even been off piste yet so maybe a bit premature, but is something I want to do sooner than later
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rayscoops, there's no point having an avalanche transceiver unless you're skiing with someone who has one too, plus a shovel and probe each. Otherwise, you may as well wait for the dogs to dig you out, long after suffocation. Skullie
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Snowy, ever the optimist you Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Snowy, best I get my mate to cough up the necessary spondoolies to buy the clobber as well then! What if we both get buried, which is likley as we will be skiing together?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rayscoops wrote:
What if we both get buried, which is likley as we will be skiing together?

Another thing they'll teach you wink
When skiing risky terrain spread yourselves out so if you start an avalanche hopefully it wont get you both.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
stuarth, some one told that it is safer in an avalanche on a snowboard because you can ride it out. That is why I decided to go for boarding rather than those little skatey mini ski things, was I told the truth ? wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rayscoops,
Not sure, but I reckon it would be less embarrassing to be dug up with a snowboard on than snowblades in the backcountry!! wink
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Snowy wrote:
rayscoops, there's no point having an avalanche transceiver unless you're skiing with someone who has one too, plus a shovel and probe each. Otherwise, you may as well wait for the dogs to dig you out, long after suffocation. Skullie

What bilge!

If you are foohardy enough to ski off piste alone, at least have the courtesy to wear a transceiver, switched to transmit, and a pair of recco reflectors. That way when other folks have to come to find your corpse they will do so far quicker, at less risk to their lives and probably at substantially reduced expense to all the emegency services involved as well.

They might even find you alive too! Very Happy
latest report
colinmcc wrote:
Snowy wrote:

What bilge!

Perhaps rather strongly put - perhaps you misread the point? If you were skiing with a group in the backcountry would you be happy to be the only one with tranceiver/probe/shovel?
snow report
3 sleeps to go - anybody got any tips on how to beat the jet lag!!!!
Especially as I am unlikley to sleep properly between now and then Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
mr ted, Well I find I get over it quite quickly if I force myself to stay up as late as I can in the evening and stay in bed as long as I can in the morning - i.e. don't be tempted to get up at 4.30am and make a cup of tea. Very Happy However, when you have a 3 year old who is waking at 3 - 4am for the first few days then it's not quite so easy!!! rolling eyes Very Happy
snow report
Bloody snow Mad 14cm fell last night and I'm stuck in work! Ah well hope the forcast is right for Monday night!
ski holidays
Ben133, It was awesome. I got some turns in for you in Outer Limits, Lakeside Bowl, Xhiggys, Arthurs Choice, Bark Sandwich, Gnarly Knots etc.

Awesome day. I was teaching too, so got to use the ski school line to avoid the lineups! Mind you, I nearly lost a client today over a cliff, when his ski came off dropping into the high traverse into Lakeside Bowl.... Shocked
latest report
veeeight, I skiied Arthurs choice and bark sandwich a couple of weeks ago, they are proper thigh burners! ( If you did it top to bottom without a stop or fall!) great bumps! Very Happy
latest report
Embarassed No wonder my clients were done by 2.30pm through exhaustion...... Embarassed

Razz
snow report
Thanks stuarth for putting him right.

I doubt the mountain safety people would put themselves in any danger anyway, or else they wouldn't be around to rescue scores of other buried people.
snow report
veeeight wrote:

Awesome day. I was teaching too, so got to use the ski school line to avoid the lineups! Mind you, I nearly lost a client today over a cliff, when his ski came off dropping into the high traverse into Lakeside Bowl.... Shocked

You really are trying to make it Extremely Veeeightian!! Shocked wink

Liam,
Another one for you on similar lines...
Hike up the Chimney then ski grey-zone, fraggle rock, few trees in between (can't remember the name if they have one), then Cancerman. Non-stop down to excellerator. Embarassed snowHead
snow conditions
stuarth wrote:
Liam,
Another one for you on similar lines...
Hike up the Chimney then ski grey-zone, fraggle rock, few trees in between (can't remember the name if they have one), then Cancerman. Non-stop down to excellerator. Embarassed snowHead

No, no. If you like bumps, what you want to do is the cat skinner bumps. Shocked Laughing Are they still there Veeeight? I haven't done them for a couple of years. They're pretty challenging...
latest report
There were bumps on Catskinner earlier in the season, but the groomers seemed to have a frenzy lately, and groomed it, Heavenly Basin etc.

However good bumps are still to be found in the Blackcomb Glacier by the blowhole, Staircase, Davies Dervish etc.
ski holidays
...and which is the worst bump run you've been down lately (so I know what to avoid!).

How is The Bite looking? Those moguls were a bit gnarly when I last when down it. Shocked
ski holidays
stuarth, Maybe for next year, thats it for me and Whistler this year, Is Outer limits the double black running down the side of Arthurs choice? Shocked
The Dave Murray downhill is a thigh burner for the fittest of legs, specially when its getting quite heavy lower down! I skiied the blowhole bumps, hard work but not to big if i remember correctly, then the blue all the way round the back to the base at Excellerator.

Another good run i enjoyed doing was the Peak to creek, the longest intermediate trail in North America, try and ski that full throttle top to bottom! No chance! Shocked Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Liam wrote:
Another good run i enjoyed doing was the Peak to creek, the longest intermediate trail in North America, try and ski that full throttle top to bottom! No chance! Shocked Very Happy

4 of our friends did the Peak to Creek race a few weeks ago. It is a GS race from the top of Saddle, down Old Man and Franz's, non stop to Creekside base. They did it in about 6 minutes. I was so impressed! Cool
ski holidays
That is fast! I skiied it at the end of the day, fairly quick ( could of gone quicker) and it took me about 15 minutes!..... and my legs were burning Embarassed
snow report
Liam, I actually found Franz's easier to ski fast down than Peak to Creek. The rollers on Peak to Creek are much closer together than on Franz's so I found it took me a bit longer anyway.

Our friends that did the race had amazing times considering that they'd never done the race before and plenty of people had scary stories for them. Their times were 6:37 (the ski pro), 7:02 (the sandbagger), 7:17 (the chic), 8:25 (the one who stopped for a cup of tea - or that's what everybody suspected wink ). The middle times were the Friday where conditions were sunny and hard-packed, if not a bit icy. The Saturday conditions were more difficult with soft snow, flat light and big ruts and lots of people bailing out at the first few gates. You can also ski it a bit quicker when there's no gates in the way!

You should try a Dave Murray next year - that'll speed you up a bit Very Happy
ski holidays
Snowy wrote:
...and which is the worst bump run you've been down lately (so I know what to avoid!).
How is The Bite looking? Those moguls were a bit gnarly when I last when down it. Shocked

Probably Gearjammer. The Bite and Staircase are pretty nice, but get knarly in the steeper sections with WV sized bumps.
ski holidays
Quote:

WV sized bumps

are they even bigger than VW sized bumps then? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
geetee, I skiied the Dave Murray quite well, in a tuck most of the way, theres a sharp left and a really steep section which flattens out almost imediatley, and when in a tuck you end up sat on the back of your skis! Most people tend to ski it like a downhill so its conditions seem to stay quite well packed, and most of all its a black so it tends to frighten half the people away, so it was farely empty! Very Happy

I found Franz quite simular to peak to creek, although busier ( as expected ) i skiied it when it was " run of the day" so the rollers were really smooth, Franz was narrow at the top as there was womans racing on, which ended the first day in disaster with my GF sliding down holding my leg, and me with her skis in my other arm, so we tended to ski down ptarmigan, Bears club and then onto the blue into creekside ( our base) which tended to be nice till the end of the day.
latest report
Liam, I meant the Dave Murray Camp not the run. Very Happy
latest report
Embarassed Embarassed Arrgh Ive just re-read your post, I was contemplating doing a course, i had a private lesson L5-6, with the ski school up on Blackcomb at the rendevous point, and that was a killer, ive never been pushed as far in my life! I had a french instructor called Sebastian- completely of his rocker. Possibly next year Smile
latest report
Liam, Very Happy I'm trying to work out where you ended up on the back of the skis. I'm picturing the run in my mind. There's a couple of fairly sharp lefts - bottom of Toilet Bowl and Fall Away.

So from the top of DM you come down the first section (which is sometimes closed for race training or the Dave Murray Camp) with some nice big rollers. I love that bit when it's groomed and no ruts! Then a flattish bit followed by a big caution sign (Bear Cub splits off to the left just before that and Bear Paw is on the right just before the sign) The next steep bit is Toilet Bowl which has a sharpish left followed by a right turn into the next steep bit called The Weasel. It then goes flat as you then cross over Expressway. Then you get to the next steep bit called Fall Away with a compression at the bottom and sharp left. There's a little roadway at the side of this which is less steep but slower and still has a very sharp left. So after you go left there's a flattish bit before you then go down The Sewer. At the bottom there's a big right called Coaches' Corner. IIRC there's then a couple less steep bits followed by a big flat bit called the Timing Flats. Once you get past this bit the next downward bit takes you to Dusty's and a pulled pork sandwich with wedges and butt rub mayo and maybe a beer. Very Happy

You should definitely give the Dave Murray Camp a try next year.
latest report
well it is snowing, and snowing, and snowing .......... I am in 7th Heaven ! Also having cups of tea at 5 am because of jet leg
snow report
Quote:

with the ski school up on Blackcomb at the rendevous point, and that was a killer, ive never been pushed as far in my life! I had a french instructor called Sebastian

Thats where I'm based, and yes, I know Sebastian Laughing
latest report
rayscoops, Have a great holiday! snowHead Can't say I'm not jealous - 325 sleeps until the next Whistler trip Sad
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy