Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

despair over lech-oberlech - can anyone help?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I am looking for a room in Oberlech preferably - or lech - for new year. Everywhere seems to be booked up - which I've heard is not unusual for there. Even the tourist office claim no vacancies!
However....I'm a tenacious kind of person and not liable to give up easily! Does anyone have any insiders' tips on where I might find a vacancy?

PS I did find somewhere called 'Haus Mosella' with availability but have not been able to find many reviews and those I did find have not been too positive...... Can anyone shed any light on what this pension is really like?

Thanks very much, Nerys
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Have you tried the B & Bs/pensions - which in Austria are always very clean and hospitable. The Tourist office will have a list or you can search on the web.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes unfortunately I tried b and b's and pensions. Any other ideas welcome!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
robertsnerys, Have you tried www.homelidays.com or - and don't laugh - The Lady magazine? They have a classified section with owners renting out their holiday homes - might be worth a look Puzzled
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Well, I have to say I never thought of looking in The Lady. But I'll give it a try - thanks for the tip!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
New Year is allways fully booked. Most the rooms are booked year after year by the same people.

Just keep tryng.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
stanton wrote:
New Year is allways fully booked. Most the rooms are booked year after year by the same people.

Just keep tryng.
Agree with Stanton - most places are relatively small and get booked out by the same people year after year. Your best bets are: a) expand your search to include Zurs and St Anton, b) try some of the bigger hotels, which are usually very exxey but more often have late vacancies, c) go to one of the local websites and email/ring every place. A few years ago, I did the latter, and while it took up some time, I eventually scored a really nice place. Now I just stay in that same place each year.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Im afraid the New Years Week is very difficult anywhere in The Arlberg. Anyone just asking for a room for 2-3 nights over New Year will ge a complete no chance from any Hotel, B&b etc. You may hav emore luck if you try to book for a complete week or two and it must be Saturday to Saturday (this is important).

But a general rule it is very difficult because so many regulars return year after year. Its almost like you have to wait for someone to die to open up a bed vacancy or for someone to give up the sport but even some of those folk still turn up just for the atmosphere.

I would say you would probably have a better bet booking via a tour company because they have block bookings in Hotels.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Lech does have an attitude that they like to be very select and posh, so don't go in for cheap alternatives and keep down the number of beds.
I agree you might do better in Zurs or St Anton even better (and if you were prepared to be just outside St Anton you would have no problem).
But as stanton said - it must be Saturday to Saturday. Anything else you have to wait till the last moment when they have given up on a Sat - Sat letting (I mean 2 or 3 days before going!!). You then need to do it through the tourist office who know who isn't full.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
For accomodation for New Years Eve is nearly allways booked out as far as Landeck or Bludenz. Many Germans come in to town just for that night. They stay up or down valley & come in by trian. Overnight parking is not allowed so they crashout at the train station.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Oh OK, I've never tried to go at new year - didn't know it was that bad. Are any other times as bad? I found it easy to find somewhere at Fasching week (or however you spell it) which I thought was supposed to be one of the worst.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Most folk do not go at new Year to do any serious skiing. If you go with that pre-text your be dissapointed because this is the busiest week of the year the lift lines are long , slopes very crowded especially if its only artificial snow cover & on top of that you pay top prices for less Sad

Fasching week (Carnival) is also very busy/peak 2weeks, it allways coincides with the kid school holidays. Depending when Easter falls this can also be busy especially if its in March. When its in April alot of Germans have had enough of the winter and prefer to goto the sun plus also the main tour operators noramally stop end of March.

However, If you get booked into Silvester (New year) your have a great time. Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks everyone for the advice. After ringing, emailing, doing everything, I ran out of time (and patience) to look and so we're going to Klosters instead. Hell, there might not be much snow and no doubt the queues on the Parsenn will huuuuuuuuge but...we got half board and a free sleigh ride (???!) for £350 quid so I'm not complaining. It suddenly occurred to me that if the Lech/ Zuers hotels are that full, the slopes are going to be rammed anyway (as you confirmed, Stanton).

Thanks everyone again for your tips.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks everyone for the advice. After ringing, emailing, doing everything, I ran out of time (and patience) to look and so we're going to Klosters instead. Hell, there might not be much snow and no doubt the queues on the Parsenn will huuuuuuuuge but...we got half board and a free sleigh ride (???!) for £350 quid so I'm not complaining. It suddenly occurred to me that if the Lech/ Zuers hotels are that full, the slopes are going to be rammed anyway (as you confirmed, Stanton).

Thanks everyone again for your tips.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
robertsnerys I have spent the last 2 New Year's at Klosters and love it there. The snow has always been good, in fact, last year we had so much snow they closed the mountains for 2 days. It's such an easy train ride from Zurich as well.

On New Years' day they have a fab party in the square by the station. Free drinks/food, live band, pig racing (you have to see this!) and girls with blacked up faces - it's good luck to be kissed by them!

If you are self-catering there's a great Co-op in the centre. There's a good Italian restaurant opposite Hotel Veriena (where we stayed) which I can recommend. Though, pretty much anywhere should be good.

I hope you enjoy it. The reason we are not there this year is we left it too late and the hotel was booked up, so we are off to Zermatt instead. I do love Klosters though!

Have fun!
ski holidays
Beverley, Thanks for that - really good to get some positive feedback. Girls with blacked up faces and pig racing - well I never! Enjoy Zermatt.
ski holidays
stanton, we stayed in one of the 4 star hotels in Lech over new year last year and, whilst busy, I got the impression that people were there more as families which included many who either couldn't or didn't want to ski, perhaps because of age - good for the shops!

We booked from Wednesday to Wednesday last year and were able to do the same this year because there are four adults occupying a suite (two very large rooms) at a little less than double room rates per person which means the hotel is gaining because the suite will be earning significantly more than the normal two person occupancy would generate. For the hotel and us, its a win win situation.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy