Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New lift at peisey/Vallandry

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
According to the Times yesterday (always a day behind with the papers!) they have replaced the old Plan Bois lift with a fast new 6 seater! You'll remember Plan Bois if you've ever been on it - it haa a rolling mat & a tendency to break down. Should speed up te trip to Les Arcs considerably.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
geri, that's not happened yet, it's due to be replaced next summer. The new chairlift installed this summer (callled Arcabulle) is above Arc 2000, and is sort of a replacement for the Plagnettes chairlift - although this hasn't been removed, just shortened so that it serves the steeper terrain below Col de Chal only, rather than having to ski the long flat bit all the way down to Arc 2000 before making the return journey back up. Some photos of the new lift here.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
geri, Details of the new Plan Bois lift here, I assume it's the one you mean Confused

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=16644&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=la+plagne
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
There is a Plan Bois lift in Les Arcs (just above Peisey, with a rolling mat and a tendency to break down!) and a Plan Bois lift in La Plagne. Which one did The Times refer to?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob@rar, definately the one in Peisey! I knew it was in the offing, but there wasnt much sign of it happening when we were there in early September - although something was going on. The plan eventually - I was told next year - is to put the original rolling mat Plan Bois lift above Peisey. So, we need a man on the spot!! Confused
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
geri, a collection of rumours, half-plans and firm plans for Les Arcs developments can be seen here (in French). The one major development which isn't on that list is the new Intrawest development "Arc 1850". It will be in the Chantel part of Arc 1800, alongside the nursery slopes and directly above the MGM development. The latest rumour I heard is that it might be approximately half the size of Arc 1950 (2,000 beds) with new shops, restaurants and spa as well as the usual Intrawest self-catering accommodation.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rob@rar, thats right where you are, right? What do you think about it?
The man who told me about the Plan Bois lift, is a fairly senior ESF instructor & local man - brother-in -law to the mayor of Peisey-Nancroix. He's been talking about it for a couple of years now, & said it would be ready this year. We'll see!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
geri, overall I'm very happy about it. It will bring more facilities to within a short walk of our place (bars, restaurants, etc), as well as a new pedestrian-friendly gondola linking the Chantel part of the resort with the main part of Arc 1800 (which will remain open into the evening, replacing the shuttle bus than runs up to our place). The new development will not affect our view up the Tarentaise and across to Mt Blanc. From an aesthetic point of view, although Intrawest isn't to everyone's taste I think it will be a considerable improvement on lots of the existing architecture around the Les Arcs domain so that's also a good thing as far as I'm concerned. I suppose there's a chance of some temporary disruption during the construction phase, but I don't think that will be a problem.

I don't know if adding that number of beds to the resort will have a noticeable impact on lift queues, how busy the pistes are, etc. Outside of February there seems to be plenty of spare capacity around the resort (I rarely need to queue, and pistes are never that busy), and even during half-term periods its possible to ski in the quieter parts of the resort to escape the crowds. It would be interesting to see the resort's models on bed numbers, uphill capacity and skier density but I don't think I've seen anything like that about Les Arcs.

I can't see there is any chance that the Plan Bois lift will be ready for this season. There was no construction work over the summer on its replacement, and if you saw no sign of it during September I don't think that there is sufficient time available to build a new lift before the snow falls. The new lift above Arc 2000 began construction in May and still isn't fully finished yet.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy